Old 22-09-2005, 03:04 PM

Default holy crap- it worked!

eternal glory is mine! i sprouted a rose cutting under a mason jar!

photos include small green insect:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...n/cutting2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...n/cutting3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...n/cutting1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...n/cutting4.jpg

you all have noooo idea how tempted i am to run out and gather
clippings of every rose plant i have RIGHT THIS INSTANT.

car

Old 22-09-2005, 06:35 PM
Snooze

wrote in message
oups.com...
eternal glory is mine! i sprouted a rose cutting under a mason jar!

you all have noooo idea how tempted i am to run out and gather
clippings of every rose plant i have RIGHT THIS INSTANT.

car

Way to go! How did you do that? I've tried this method a few times, but I
think I must be doing something wrong.
http://www.rdrop.com/~paul/hulse.html

-S

Old 22-09-2005, 07:27 PM
Gail Futoran

[newsgroups trimmed]
wrote in message
oups.com...
eternal glory is mine! i sprouted a rose cutting under a mason jar!

photos include small green insect:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...n/cutting2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...n/cutting3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...n/cutting1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...n/cutting4.jpg

you all have noooo idea how tempted i am to run out and gather
clippings of every rose plant i have RIGHT THIS INSTANT.

car

Nicely done!

I can't see what kind of insect is in the jar but
some small green insects love munching on
baby leaves. I would be tempted to move the
insect out.

More cuttings are better than fewer, because
some cuttings won't survive past the first
few leaves. OTOH if all your cuttings
survive you have to find places to plant them.

You probably won't want to plant the cuttings
into their permanent home (in ground or in
pot) until spring so you have plenty of time
to baby them along.

Good luck.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 22-09-2005, 11:42 PM

Snooze wrote:

Way to go! How did you do that? I've tried this method a few times, but I
think I must be doing something wrong.
http://www.rdrop.com/~paul/hulse.html

-S

yup, i also tried the baggie method several times and failed always-
the stems and leaves just got moldy and died.

i filled a 6" terracotta pot with potting soil and approx 1 tblsp of
rose-tone fertilizer, wet it throughly and stuck a 4" stem approx. 1.5"
into the soil. i used a 1/2 gal mason jar and placed the mouth over the
stem and screwed it into the soil.

i then waited about six weeks- all the leaves on the stem fell off in
about twoo weeks- and watered the soil enough to keep it damp but not
soaked- i basically forgot about it for long stretches.

the leaflets came out in about two days- monday, i looked and saw a
tiny bud, wedsnesday, leaves.

it was outside on a table the whole time. maybe having more air space
and circulation helped? i'm going to try another one this weekend and
see if i can't have another success before the frost.

carl

Old 22-09-2005, 11:48 PM

Gail Futoran wrote:

Nicely done!

thank you! i'm realy excited about it- i would love to propagate some
of my more special plants and have extras- i've been very frustrated
until now- tried the baggie method, etc.

I can't see what kind of insect is in the jar but
some small green insects love munching on
baby leaves. I would be tempted to move the
insect out.

it's outisde the jar, thankfully. just to right of the upsidedown
Ball logo. you can see him best in this photo, nbottom right:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...n/cutting1.jpg

More cuttings are better than fewer, because
some cuttings won't survive past the first
few leaves. OTOH if all your cuttings
survive you have to find places to plant them.

I tok the jar off now that those leaves look well along- maybe i should
leave it on until i've got two sets, on fresh canes?

ill let the cutting grow indoors through the winter- i'm going to try a
few more.

carl

Old 23-09-2005, 02:35 AM

Pope=AE wrote:
That's an assasin bug. A good predator bug to help keep the pests in chec=

k=2E

what!?? i have something as cool as an assassin bug? that rocks.

thank you for that information.

carl

Old 23-09-2005, 02:59 AM
Jmagerl

You can root roses without the use of a rooting hormone? I thought roses had
to be grafted ? Whats the purpose of the graft? I will have to give it a try
next year (growing season is over).

I use a 2 liter sodapop bottle and cut the borrom off. It then fits nicely
into a 5 inch pot (I think its a 5 inch pot). Leave the top off for some
air movement. I root my cirtrus cuttings in a sterile media such as perlite.
One cutting per pot for air flow reasons. No direct sunlight. I also use
Dip-n-gro rooting hormone.

wrote in message
oups.com...

Old 23-09-2005, 03:11 AM

Jmagerl wrote:
You can root roses without the use of a rooting hormone?

so the legend goes- apparently, correctly

I thought roses had
to be grafted ? Whats the purpose of the graft?

speed and strength of rootstock, probably? grafting onto a hardy stock
would probaly take weeks, not months, and see blooms in 1 season.

I use a 2 liter sodapop bottle and cut the borrom off. It then fits nicely
into a 5 inch pot (I think its a 5 inch pot).

same idea- it was 6" terracotta and a 1/2gal mason jar. i didn't use
rooting hormoe, although i have no objection to it- just potting soil
and rose-tone fertilzer.

took 6 weeks-

carl

Old 23-09-2005, 04:06 AM
Gail Futoran

"Jmagerl" wrote in message
You can root roses without the use of a rooting hormone? I thought roses
had to be grafted ? Whats the purpose of the graft? I will have to give it
a try next year (growing season is over).

I've rooted a number of roses without rooting hormone,
mostly ramblers and old garden roses. I think it
probably depends on how likely the rose is to root
itself. Some probably need more help than others.

Re grafting: Old garden roses and miniatures
are grown on their own roots. Many modern
shrub roses are grown on their own roots. More
roses are being offered on their own roots that
previously were offered only as grafted. It's a
recent trend, at least in the USA. I don't
know about elsewhere.

Grafting marries a strong species rose (like
Dr. Huey) to a typically weaker modern rose.
Also in some places (Florida, I believe) the
root stock is necessary to fight nematodes (?)
in the soil. There's a lot of information on
this on the Internet if you're really interested.
You might start with articles on the American
Rose Society web site: www.ars.org

I use a 2 liter sodapop bottle and cut the borrom off. It then fits nicely
into a 5 inch pot (I think its a 5 inch pot). Leave the top off for some
air movement. I root my cirtrus cuttings in a sterile media such as
perlite. One cutting per pot for air flow reasons. No direct sunlight. I
also use Dip-n-gro rooting hormone.

I use the black plastic 1 gal containers you get
at nurseries, fill with plain potting soil (Schultz
Professional Grow Mix, I think it's called), no
cover, water and mist, keep in shade/semi-shade
until leaves appear. Gradually move into sun as
cutting looks more like a plant.

For some reason one OGR (I think it was a
Bourbon) didn't make it at all as cuttings,
whereas another of the same class did fine.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 23-09-2005, 04:06 AM
Gail Futoran

wrote in message
oups.com...

Gail Futoran wrote:

Nicely done!

thank you! i'm realy excited about it- i would love to propagate some
of my more special plants and have extras- i've been very frustrated
until now- tried the baggie method, etc.

I can't see what kind of insect is in the jar but
some small green insects love munching on
baby leaves. I would be tempted to move the
insect out.

it's outisde the jar, thankfully. just to right of the upsidedown
Ball logo. you can see him best in this photo, nbottom right:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...n/cutting1.jpg

Now I see it! Thanks for the hint. I've seen those
around my garden.

More cuttings are better than fewer, because
some cuttings won't survive past the first
few leaves. OTOH if all your cuttings
survive you have to find places to plant them.

I tok the jar off now that those leaves look well along- maybe i should
leave it on until i've got two sets, on fresh canes?

I don't know what to suggest at this point. Even
with really good photos (which yours are) it's
hard to tell how much progress there is on the
cuttings. However, since my method has always
been an open one (I make sure cuttings are well
misted), I personally would be tempted to leave
the jar off and monitor the cutting closely.

Old 21-06-2011, 06:16 PM
Registered User

I use a 2 liter sodapop canteen and cut the borrom off. It again fits nicely into a 5 inch pot (I anticipate its a 5 inch pot). Leave the top off for some air movement. I basis my cirtrus cuttings in a antiseptic media such as perlite. One acid per pot for air breeze reasons. No absolute sunlight. I as well use Dip-n-gro acclaim hormone.
Grow tents

holy crap- it worked! [email protected] Gardening 6 23-09-2005 06:10 AM
holy crap- it worked! [email protected] Roses 2 22-09-2005 11:33 PM
holy crap- it worked! [email protected] Gardening 0 22-09-2005 03:04 PM
HOLY CRAP drink_ddt alt.forestry 0 12-05-2003 02:10 PM
HOLY CRAP drink_ddt alt.forestry 0 12-05-2003 04:45 AM