Old 30-04-2003, 07:08 AM
Kate Kaercher

Default English Roses for MD

Shiva wrote:
Kate Kaercher wrote:

I see. So you gave these roses, what, ONE YEAR to prove themselves? Maybe

two? And your cultivation methods were how crappy, since you are so busy
with life outside the garden? Please. As someone who is just now
experiencing what three and four year plants are like, I must say this to
you: horsehooey! Why don't you go get some Madame de Furriers de caca
roses and leave the Austins to those of us who love them. Tradescant just
bloomed for the first time this year, and MY GOD. Truly a deep wine color,
rosy, rosy, "now THAT'S what a rose should smell like!" fragrance, and
that odd, furry sheen the most velvety roses have. A masterpiece. I am
buying more.

Actually, I had these roses for several years. They were among the
first we ever got. 3-4 year plants. And my cultivation methods were
impeccable because I was not so busy then as I am now. Not to mention
that the soil at our old house was just incredible, dark and loamy, not
like the clay we have here.

As for leaving the Austins to those who love them: you're welcome to
them. I won't stand in your way.

BTW Madame de Furriers de caca?

Meanwhile, I planted two hybrid tea bare roots in the same big hole.
Ever hear of that?

Yeah, and?

And they look great. Blue Nile. Another Tragic Diva-- times two.

Too bad it takes 2 roses to look great.

To each her own. BTW, I finally got my Mutabilis!

Oh, man. You are going to love this rose. Or, maybe not. We have different
taste in roses.

Dunno if'n I'm gonna have the opportunity to love it. It arrived
looking dead and has not improved.

Old 30-04-2003, 05:44 PM
Shiva

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 01:55:42 -0400, Kate Kaercher
wrote:

Actually, I had these roses for several years.

Sorry. I sounded a bit like Alice there for a minute.

They were among the
first we ever got. 3-4 year plants. And my cultivation methods were
impeccable because I was not so busy then as I am now. Not to mention
that the soil at our old house was just incredible, dark and loamy, not
like the clay we have here.

As for leaving the Austins to those who love them: you're welcome to
them. I won't stand in your way.

That's good of you. Tamora is blooming, and it is one of those that
starts our little and dinky, bloom wise, and then the blooms get
bigger and deeper. They ALL get better with time here, so it is hard
to understand why yours don't. Poor Kate.

BTW Madame de Furriers de caca?

Just being a caca-head.

Meanwhile, I planted two hybrid tea bare roots in the same big hole.
Ever hear of that?

Yeah, and?

And they look great. Blue Nile. Another Tragic Diva-- times two.

Too bad it takes 2 roses to look great.

Oh, get your butt off your shoulders, K8ty. They are bare roots just
leafing out. It is a spearmint. :0)

Oh, man. You are going to love this rose. Or, maybe not. We have different
taste in roses.

Dunno if'n I'm gonna have the opportunity to love it. It arrived
looking dead and has not improved.

Well why the hell didn't you buy one potted from a frufru nursery like
I did? Photos soon. You grouch you.

Old 01-05-2003, 02:56 PM
Kate Kaercher

wrote:

As for leaving the Austins to those who love them: you're welcome to
them. I won't stand in your way.

That's good of you. Tamora is blooming, and it is one of those that
starts our little and dinky, bloom wise, and then the blooms get
bigger and deeper. They ALL get better with time here, so it is hard
to understand why yours don't. Poor Kate.

Didn't. We moved away and left them.

Oh, get your butt off your shoulders, K8ty. They are bare roots just
leafing out. It is a spearmint. :0)

I'm a fan of peppermint, myself.

Oh, man. You are going to love this rose. Or, maybe not. We have different
taste in roses.

Dunno if'n I'm gonna have the opportunity to love it. It arrived
looking dead and has not improved.

Well why the hell didn't you buy one potted from a frufru nursery like
I did? Photos soon. You grouch you.

Long story. You're a grouch too, yanno.

Old 01-05-2003, 06:56 PM
Shiva

Kate Kaercher wrote:

Didn't. We moved away and left them.

Ohhh, okay. I see. "These are roses we planted 3-4 years ago" did not
necessarily mean that you were actually there to see them at the end of
that time? I'm shaking my head. Or, did you move recently? You have been
incommunicado for a long time, here and in gwowoses, so I have no clue.

I'm a fan of peppermint, myself.

Much prettier, with its small, pointy dark leaves, and just the thing for
mint juleps.

Long story. You're a grouch too, yanno.

Well of course I am. I am also from the northeast, and I can out icky you
any time you want to have a go at it. Plus, life is happening here, too. I
cannot keep up with work, so I am hounded. I am a hounded woman. On the
other hand it's nice to be wanted.

Old 01-05-2003, 08:20 PM
Shiva

"dave weil" wrote:

You're bragging about being a wanton woman? Is that something that you
should be talking about on a public newsgrou...

...oh wait, that's *wanted* woman.

G Wanton I wish. Not quite. Life is tame, but definitely busy.

And speaking of Don Juan g...

Hee!

...the first bloom is starting to open. It's red. That's a good sign,
right? It's also got a really nice sweet smell to it.

Man, sounds like you got the real thing. Luck Dave! Listen, your posts do
not come up in the two readers I post from, so I have to cut and paste
from another. I miss some. I have looked at your latest garden pics, and I
see that Felicia has a definite yaller thing going on at the petal bases.
This rescues her from Pure Pinkness! If I squint just right I can see
peachy tones! By Jove, I think I can order her now!

I can't believe that my Sweet Briar Rose is now 15 feet from side to
side. Unbelievable. It's becoming quite the monster and this only in
the third season.

Gorgeous, I saw. Also, the old blush one reminds me a little of shots of
Tournament of Roses that I have seen, if I am recalling correctly. All in
all, your yards are really coming along!

Right now the yard is quite colorful, although you'd probably gag from
all of the pink (not to mention the expanses of green). There's pink
all over the place, although it's cut with the occasional purple,
white, red and yellow. And Graham Thomas hasn't even opened anything
yet.

Now, now. I have some pinks. Great Century is a highly underrated HT with
HUGE rosy-scented dinner mint pink blooms that are slightly darker in the
center and so give the whole plant a glow. Sonia Rykiel is unabashedly
pink, but a washed-our clear raspberry tone I like. Fragrance and bloom
form save both. Then there is the mowed Radio Times (reviving), Abraham
Darby (saved by some peach tones in the center)and Paul Neyron, who is
definitely dusty pink. Looking at my back garden, you see yellow, orange,
and peachy tones mostly, broken up by the occasional deeeeeep red (Ink
Spots) or burgundy (Tradescant) or velvety red (Don Juan.) But there is
pink in there! As a friend used to say when I cooked something he did not
like, "it's good, it just isn't my favorite." Sweet, eh?

The hackberry tree is now completely down. It's definitely going to
open up some bed possibilities that weren't there before.

Always a good development!

There are also some really pretty colorful yellow leaves with cute
black spots as well chuckle.

Mine too. Time to spray!

Old 03-03-2011, 05:34 PM
Registered User

This is an interesting rose, because it is what I call the cream most of the time, but it runs the gamut from pale yellow to almost back to the shadows is the colour of blush. Really subtle level colour every day. Their own source of very powerful.
Old 30-04-2011, 12:15 AM
Registered User

Its nice that you are cultivating roses. You know I am a flower lover, Even me also want to have my own flower plants but life is too busy to have this. So I am buying whenever I needed.
Waterfall Pond Kit

English Roses? Dataminder Roses 7 31-01-2004 05:47 PM
p.s. on English roses--I'm in NC Heidi Roses 0 28-12-2003 05:39 PM
Colour of roses best roses for Albuquerque, NM Radika Kesavan Roses 18 05-04-2003 12:20 AM
BALD HIP ROSES AKA. DWARF ROSES (Rosa gymnocarpa) nwforestmagic Roses 1 14-03-2003 03:44 AM
Roses where other roses have been Newbie Gardener United Kingdom 11 12-03-2003 09:00 PM