Old 15-02-2003, 01:39 AM
R & L Porter

Default Sombreuil and Spring roses

Anyone in a cold zone have experience with this rose?
I have been perusing Paul Barden's site and he claims
that it is surprisingly winter hardy. Just wondering if
anyone out there can back that up. It looks like such
a beautiful rose.

I placed a rose order with Pickering's in December and
eagerly await its arrival.

On order and arriving in April a

Illusion - red climber
Roberta Bondar -- yellow climber named for 1st Canadian woman in space
Seagull - rambler
Ipsilante - gallica
Gloire de France - gallica
Jacqueline du Pre - shrub
Westerland - shrub
Nymphenburg - H. Musk
Mme Alfred Carriere - Noisette (also reputedly hardy)
Felicite Parmentier - Alba
Fantin Latour - Centifolia
Tour de Malakoff - Centifolia
Paul Ricault - Cent.
The Bishop - Cent.
Graham Thomas - Austin
Tamora - Austin
Albertine - rambler
Antique '89 - climber

I am getting excited, even though it is below 30 degrees celsius out
there right now and the garden is buried in several feet Brrrrr....
of snow.

Laura

Old 15-02-2003, 03:15 AM
Shiva

R & L Porter wrote:

Anyone in a cold zone have experience with this rose?

I'm not in a cold zone, but I do have this rose, it is in its fourth year
now.

I have been perusing Paul Barden's site and he claims
that it is surprisingly winter hardy. Just wondering if
anyone out there can back that up. It looks like such
a beautiful rose.

While I cannot speak to the winter hardy issue, I can say that this is a
very beautiful rose, and it screams OGR even if it is "Colonial White," as
some say. Several points:

1. The quartered form comes through in photos, but not the shallow cup.
This rose has a very shallow cup. I was surprised. I still like it, though.

2. This rose has a million teeny tiny petals. OK, not a million, but check
out the petal count--then know they are teeny tiny, in a shallow cup.

3. The center of this rose has a soft and faint but still clear "blush
white" color. Not snowy. Not ivory. Blushy.

4. This rose has been known to grow for three years without producing a
single bloom. Mine bloomed in year 2, and I felt really lucky! That said,
it is worth the wait.

5. This rose has very lovely foliage and canes--lots of red, and the
thorns are red on mine--and it makes gorgeous hips. I have never read
about it having hips, but mine sure does. It is growing on a fence with
Don Juan, who also makes great hips. Very pretty combo.

6. This rose has a very nice, rosy scent. Not knock-you-over, but very
nice. It you find out it is cold hardy, I think you should get it.

I placed a rose order with Pickering's in December and
eagerly await its arrival.

All your choices look great! Don't forget that even in warm areas, Tamora
tops out at 2.5 feet. !! No kidding. And it STAYS in bloom here, and
smells good.

Old 18-02-2003, 03:39 AM
Theo Asir

"R & L Porter" wrote in message
Anyone in a cold zone have experience with this rose?
I have been perusing Paul Barden's site and he claims
that it is surprisingly winter hardy. Just wondering if
anyone out there can back that up. It looks like such
a beautiful rose.

Glad to say my Som. has survived -10f winter.

required some radical action though.

I don't recommend first year in the ground
esp. in cold areas. It grows very slowly.
After 3 months it had only grown 18 inches high
by August.

Now this is no where near robust enough for
winter around here so I plucked it from the ground
and potted it. It sulked for a while then recovered.
It has even kept all its leaves.

I placed a rose order with Pickering's in December and
eagerly await its arrival.

On order and arriving in April a

Illusion - red climber
Roberta Bondar -- yellow climber named for 1st Canadian woman in space
Seagull - rambler
Ipsilante - gallica
Gloire de France - gallica
Jacqueline du Pre - shrub
Westerland - shrub
Nymphenburg - H. Musk
Mme Alfred Carriere - Noisette (also reputedly hardy)

Didn't you get this last year. What happened
or is it too painful to talk about..

Felicite Parmentier - Alba

once blooming??

Fantin Latour - Centifolia
Tour de Malakoff - Centifolia
Paul Ricault - Cent.
The Bishop - Cent.
Graham Thomas - Austin
Tamora - Austin
Albertine - rambler
Antique '89 - climber

Is this the german rose also called
antike 89? I've lusted after it but
havn't found an own root version yet.

I am getting excited, even though it is below 30 degrees celsius out
there right now and the garden is buried in several feet Brrrrr....
of snow.

Laura

right!

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

Old 19-02-2003, 08:27 AM
R & L Porter

"Lessa" wrote in message

I also ordered Sombreuil from Pickering earlier in the fall for delivery
this spring. I am not sure about its hardiness but I figure why not give

it
a try. I love this rose, I just hope it grows in my zone 6 garden

Lessa

Hi Lessa,

I am guessing you are in Newfoundland? the *mun* part in your
email addy is what makes me deduce this. Correct me if I am
wrong!

What other roses, if any, do you grow?

I think you will be better off in your zone 6 garden than I, providing
your rose gets as much snow cover/protection as my babies have
been getting the past few years. It is a bit scary, as it is lulling me
into a false sense of security. All it would take is one cold winter
with little snow cover to kill at least a dozen of the less hardy
roses. I like to live on the edge, I guess.

Or maybe I am just too lazy (more likely)

Laura

Old 20-02-2003, 04:15 PM
Lessa

"R & L Porter" wrote in message

"Lessa" wrote in message

[...]

I am indeed in Newfoundland, most people don't believe that Newfoundland can
be zone6 but mine is. The location where I am planning to put my 2
Sombreuils is fairly sheltered against my deck and has for the last 2 years
gotten a fairly deep snow cover. This year it is covered in about 4 feet of
snow so I actually look forward to the snow covering my garden. This past
week has been colder than most for the last couple of winters. Its pretty
unusual for us to get temps around -20C. Usually it is around -10 at the
coldest.
As for the other roses I have here is my list

Graham Thomas(2)
Kaleidoscope
The Hunter
Diamond Border
Sunsprite
Alec's Red
Perdita(everyone should have this rose it smells like heaven)
Morden Blush
Golden Celebration
L.D. Braithwaite
Don Juan
Abraham Darby
Heritage
Dublin Bay

Coming from Pickering
Sombreuil(2)
Leander
Tamora
Evelyn
Glamis Castle

Lessa

Old 23-02-2003, 08:39 AM
Zphysics1

"Theo Asir" wrote in message

Glad to say my Som. has survived -10f winter.

Okay, any idea on what that is in Celsius? Last
week we reached -35, -40 Celsius (taking into account
windchill), although this is not the norm. Thank
god for all of the snow cover. That kind of cold is just
wrong.

I think we have had the Sombreuil/Mme. Alfred Carriere
hardiness discussion before. Or maybe I am experiencing
deja vu.

required some radical action though.

I don't recommend first year in the ground
esp. in cold areas. It grows very slowly.
After 3 months it had only grown 18 inches high
by August.

Now this is no where near robust enough for
winter around here so I plucked it from the ground
and potted it. It sulked for a while then recovered.
It has even kept all its leaves.

Where is it hanging out in its pot? An unheated garage?

***snip list

Didn't you get this last year. What happened
or is it too painful to talk about..

I think I *wanted* to order this stuff, and had
every intention of ordering, but decided to put
it off. sniff, sniff... I can't exactly remember! Every order
requires copious amounts of Spring labour and it coincides
with Spring exams. This is my last term so I am
slightly less anal about exam-time.

I did manage to acquire around a dozen potted plants
over the summer, which I am sure I have mentioned
some time ago. Don't ask for names, though. It has
been so long since I have seen one of my rose bushes
that they sort of fade from my memory, or they
get rudely shoved aside by other more pressing thoughts.
Then sometime in mid-April, May and June I begin to reacquaint
myself with all of my old friends. I do make lists of the roses
I buy and where they are planted, just in case I forget
who is who!

Felicite Parmentier - Alba

once blooming??

Yup, as are almost half of that list. Most of my repeat bloomers

Old 23-02-2003, 08:39 AM
Zphysics1

"Theo Asir" wrote in message

Glad to say my Som. has survived -10f winter.

Okay, any idea on what that is in Celsius? Last
week we reached -35, -40 Celsius (taking into account
windchill), although this is not the norm. Thank
god for all of the snow cover. That kind of cold is just
wrong.

I think we have had the Sombreuil/Mme. Alfred Carriere
hardiness discussion before. Or maybe I am experiencing
deja vu.

--

Temp in Celsius = 5/9 ( Temp in Fahrenheit -32 deg)

Temp in Fahrenheit = 9/5 Temp in Celsius + 32 deg

( note the parenthesis)
HTH

/z.

Old 24-02-2003, 10:53 AM
R & L Porter

"Theo Asir" wrote in message

[...]

never really give me much after the first big bang in June/July, so
once bloomers can be just as satisfying, if not more so. Remember
that around here the roses are pretty much finished off by early
September, with a few scraggly blooms here and there in October.
Then frosts start. Mid-June is the beginning, early July is THE
show, with the end of July still decent. The rest is all gravy.

Antique '89 - climber

Is this the german rose also called
antike 89? I've lusted after it but
havn't found an own root version yet.

I am not sure if it is the same one, however I think Antique '89 is
a Kordes rose, which means it is German. I have been lusting
after it too, that is why it is on ze list.

I am getting excited, even though it is below 30 degrees celsius out
there right now and the garden is buried in several feet Brrrrr....
of snow.

Laura

right!

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

You have lots of snow in Kansas City?

Laura -- betcha don't have as much snow as we do, nya, nya, nya
nya, nya.

Old 24-02-2003, 04:16 PM
Theo Asir

"R & L Porter" wrote in message

"Theo Asir" wrote in message

Glad to say my Som. has survived -10f winter.

Okay, any idea on what that is in Celsius? Last
week we reached -35, -40 Celsius (taking into account
windchill), although this is not the norm. Thank
god for all of the snow cover. That kind of cold is just
wrong.

-22 C or so.

I think we have had the Sombreuil/Mme. Alfred Carriere
hardiness discussion before. Or maybe I am experiencing
deja vu.

yup!
And you asked to be kept updated :-;

required some radical action though.

I don't recommend first year in the ground
esp. in cold areas. It grows very slowly.
After 3 months it had only grown 18 inches high
by August.

Now this is no where near robust enough for
winter around here so I plucked it from the ground
and potted it. It sulked for a while then recovered.
It has even kept all its leaves.

Where is it hanging out in its pot? An unheated garage?

Nope. I keep my pots out
in my backyard in a sheltered location.
We have frequent thaw spells. Last week
we had 2 nights of -15 C follwed by 4 days
of +15C weather. So the roses don't
get into an extended freeze.

***snip list

[...]

Not really! 20-30 inches maybe.

And our thaw spells melt pretty much everything
in days.

Laura -- betcha don't have as much snow as we do, nya, nya, nya
nya, nya.

And my last frost date is mid to end march. Yaaa!! Yaaaaa!!

Old 23-03-2011, 12:06 AM
Registered User

This is a very lovely rose leaves and cane - a lot of red, and red thorns, and I - and it makes gorgeous buttocks. I have never seen hips on it, but I certainly will not. It is grown in a fence and Don Juan, who also makes a great butt. Very nice combination.
Pond Liners