Old 17-06-2006, 05:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
EV

Default Fair Bianca - David Austin Rose

I've had a Fair Bianca for over five years and, although it's a white
rose, the buds are always pinkish before they open. Sometimes the petals
have tiny pale pink streaks. But today I was surprised to notice a pink
bloom ... not pinkish ... but true pink, through and through.

Anyone have any idea how this can happen?

Old 17-06-2006, 12:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
cybercat

"EV" wrote in message ...
I've had a Fair Bianca for over five years and, although it's a white
rose, the buds are always pinkish before they open. Sometimes the petals
have tiny pale pink streaks. But today I was surprised to notice a pink
bloom ... not pinkish ... but true pink, through and through.

Anyone have any idea how this can happen?

Mine bloomed white for two years and is now quite pink. I grow it
on its own roots. Nice rose.

Old 17-06-2006, 04:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

"EV" wrote in message ...
I've had a Fair Bianca for over five years and, although it's a white
rose, the buds are always pinkish before they open. Sometimes the petals
have tiny pale pink streaks. But today I was surprised to notice a pink
bloom ... not pinkish ... but true pink, through and through.

Anyone have any idea how this can happen?

We just had a thread where we discussed
unexpected bloom colors on a rose bush.

One possibility: One of the parents of Fair Bianca
is perhaps a pink rose. Sometimes you'll get
throwbacks (there's probably a technical name) to
that parent. For example, I have a Bourbon
"Variegata di Bologna" which produces red and
white striped blooms. However, in recent years I've
been getting more and more solid dark pink blooms
in addition to the striped blooms. One of Variegata
di Bologna's parents has dark pink blooms.

Another, less friendly, possibility is reversion.
If your Fair Bianca is grafted (has a bud
union), it's possible the top, desirable part of
the plant (called the scion) is being replaced
by the hardier rootstock (below the bud union).
If your white blooms and pink blooms appear
on the *same* cane, it's not reversion, but
more likely the case I described above.

Third and probably most likely, as shown by
some of the photos of Fair Bianca at
www.helpmefind.com , Fair Bianca is described
as having blooms of "white, near white, and white
blend" - i.e. tinges of pink. Check out some of the
photos there. Perhaps your Fair Bianca is simply
doing it's "thing".

And/or it could be cultural influences - soil pH,
temperature, etc. etc. Some roses seem more
sensitive to such effects in terms of the color
of blooms.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8 USA

Old 18-06-2006, 05:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
EV

Gail Futoran wrote:

"EV" wrote in message ...
I've had a Fair Bianca for over five years and, although it's a white
rose, the buds are always pinkish before they open. Sometimes the petals
have tiny pale pink streaks. But today I was surprised to notice a pink
bloom ... not pinkish ... but true pink, through and through.

Anyone have any idea how this can happen?

We just had a thread where we discussed
unexpected bloom colors on a rose bush.

I haven't been around for a while. I'll check it out!

One possibility: One of the parents of Fair Bianca
is perhaps a pink rose. Sometimes you'll get
throwbacks (there's probably a technical name) to
that parent. For example, I have a Bourbon
"Variegata di Bologna" which produces red and
white striped blooms. However, in recent years I've
been getting more and more solid dark pink blooms
in addition to the striped blooms. One of Variegata
di Bologna's parents has dark pink blooms.

Another, less friendly, possibility is reversion.
If your Fair Bianca is grafted (has a bud
union), it's possible the top, desirable part of
the plant (called the scion) is being replaced
by the hardier rootstock (below the bud union).
If your white blooms and pink blooms appear
on the *same* cane, it's not reversion, but
more likely the case I described above.

I just ran out into the night with a flashlight. The pinkie is on a cane with
normal blooms. Whew!

Third and probably most likely, as shown by
some of the photos of Fair Bianca at
www.helpmefind.com , Fair Bianca is described
as having blooms of "white, near white, and white
blend" - i.e. tinges of pink. Check out some of the
photos there. Perhaps your Fair Bianca is simply
doing it's "thing".

Unfortunately this site doesn't work with my 'puter. I'll take some pics and
put them up on my page. Pure pink, and today I noticed another bud, on
another cane with normal blooms, that's also completely pink. If she wants to
be different, she should make pink blooms with white streaks. I like the
colour.

And/or it could be cultural influences - soil pH,
temperature, etc. etc. Some roses seem more
sensitive to such effects in terms of the color
of blooms.

I'm betting it's the weather. We had a cold wet spring, followed by a
torrential heat wave at the end of May, followed by cool wet weather for
several weeks ... and now another heatwave.

Thanks for the info.

EV
southern Ontario, Zone 6a

Old 18-06-2006, 05:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
EV

cybercat wrote:

"EV" wrote in message ...
I've had a Fair Bianca for over five years and, although it's a white
rose, the buds are always pinkish before they open. Sometimes the petals
have tiny pale pink streaks. But today I was surprised to notice a pink
bloom ... not pinkish ... but true pink, through and through.

Anyone have any idea how this can happen?

Mine bloomed white for two years and is now quite pink. I grow it
on its own roots. Nice rose.

I don't know whose roots mine is growing on. She came from Loblaws when they had a
few of her kind one year. Bianca smells great, sweet, but lighter and less musky
than Evelyn. No rose perfume can match the scent of a fresh bloom.

EV

Old 20-06-2006, 10:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

"EV" wrote in message ...
Gail Futoran wrote:

"EV" wrote in message ...
I've had a Fair Bianca for over five years and, although it's a white
rose, the buds are always pinkish before they open. Sometimes the
petals
have tiny pale pink streaks. But today I was surprised to notice a pink
bloom ... not pinkish ... but true pink, through and through.

Anyone have any idea how this can happen?

We just had a thread where we discussed
unexpected bloom colors on a rose bush.

I haven't been around for a while. I'll check it out!

Probably nothing in that thread that we haven't
already covered here. I found the coincidence
interesting. Maybe because of weird weather
more people are experiencing strange bloom
colors?

[...]

Good!

Third and probably most likely, as shown by
some of the photos of Fair Bianca at
www.helpmefind.com , Fair Bianca is described
as having blooms of "white, near white, and white
blend" - i.e. tinges of pink. Check out some of the
photos there. Perhaps your Fair Bianca is simply
doing it's "thing".

Unfortunately this site doesn't work with my 'puter. I'll take some pics
and
put them up on my page. Pure pink, and today I noticed another bud, on
another cane with normal blooms, that's also completely pink. If she wants
be different, she should make pink blooms with white streaks. I like
the
colour.

One of my favorite roses is a Hybrid Perpetual
called "Vick's Caprice". Unfortunately it
doesn't do well for me. I just replaced it for
the third or fourth time. But I like it so much -
soft pinkish/lavender with cream stripes - that
I don't mind replacing it every two years or so.

And/or it could be cultural influences - soil pH,
temperature, etc. etc. Some roses seem more
sensitive to such effects in terms of the color
of blooms.

I'm betting it's the weather. We had a cold wet spring, followed by a
torrential heat wave at the end of May, followed by cool wet weather for
several weeks ... and now another heatwave.

That could certainly do it.

Old 22-06-2006, 07:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
EV

Gail Futoran wrote:

"EV" wrote in message ...
Gail Futoran wrote:

[]

One of my favorite roses is a Hybrid Perpetual
called "Vick's Caprice". Unfortunately it
doesn't do well for me. I just replaced it for
the third or fourth time. But I like it so much -
soft pinkish/lavender with cream stripes - that
I don't mind replacing it every two years or so.

Sounds beautiful. Is it scented?

Old 27-06-2006, 02:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

"EV" wrote in message ...
Gail Futoran wrote:

"EV" wrote in message ...
Gail Futoran wrote:

[]

One of my favorite roses is a Hybrid Perpetual
called "Vick's Caprice". Unfortunately it
doesn't do well for me. I just replaced it for
the third or fourth time. But I like it so much -
soft pinkish/lavender with cream stripes - that
I don't mind replacing it every two years or so.

Sounds beautiful. Is it scented?

Very light scent.

Gail

Old 06-05-2011, 12:06 AM
Registered User

Unfortunately this website doesn't plan with my 'puter. I'll yield some pics and put them up on my page. Pure pink, and today I noticed addition bud, on another pikestaff with accustomed blooms, that's as well absolutely pink.
General Hydroponics

Rose 'David Austin' perityle Roses 1 03-10-2008 09:22 PM
David Austin Roses Competition - gardenandgreen.co.uk [email protected] Gardening 0 05-12-2007 02:51 PM
David Austin vs. Hybrid Teas Gary Cahn Roses 4 17-05-2006 11:14 PM
David Austin Roses Lavinia Zammit Roses 7 18-12-2005 03:54 AM
David Austin Rose - Abraham Darby Elegant Embroidery Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:33 AM