Old 26-11-2007, 11:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default A less large rose garden

At one point my rose garden had 150 roses.
It's now down to 95 and will probably hold
at that point for awhile. I found there's so
much work to do to keep up, and I consider
myself a minimalist when it comes to
gardening!

I took down the most recent bed and
transplanted the dozen roses into spots in
older beds where roses died (probably
due to the very wet and cool spring and
my lack of a decent feeding schedule).
So far all those roses are doing great.
We're still in the growing season here,
and in fact I seldom get a true dormant
season over winter.

Roses are not as much trouble as a lot of
people think, but then I'm pretty casual
about my "demands" of rose performance.
I've added more Teas in recent years
as replacements for moderns (Hybrid
Teas and Floribundas), and find Teas do
very well in my area.

My garden is a mixture of modern and
antique or old garden roses. It doesn't
look very planned but it keeps me interested,
and that's what counts.

How do your gardens grow?

Gail
near San Antonio TX USA Zone 8

Old 27-11-2007, 12:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

As cockle shells.. but I digress.

Our roses in Lufkin, Tx - just west of the two long border lakes and La.
are growing and our climbing red rose is in bloom. Three others are as well,
but due to the low of 38 and now 40 they have slowed down.

The 2.5" of rain in several days kicked it up a notch - It was slow but
steady for a deep (inches) soak. The thatch on the lawn and meadow has
washed downhill due to the slight slope.

This is an area of deposited sandy loam from several river systems and lots
of pine forest in the past. All climbers have done very well this year, the
large reds and the small pink.

Eaten by grasshoppers at one time, the second leaf out is continuing.

We expect a freeze, rather hope for one as it cuts back on the bug collection.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

Old 30-11-2007, 12:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
As cockle shells.. but I digress.

Our roses in Lufkin, Tx - just west of the two long border lakes and
La.
are growing and our climbing red rose is in bloom. Three others are
as well,
but due to the low of 38 and now 40 they have slowed down.

I think out low has been in the mid-40s so far.

The 2.5" of rain in several days kicked it up a notch - It was slow
but
steady for a deep (inches) soak. The thatch on the lawn and meadow
has
washed downhill due to the slight slope.

This is an area of deposited sandy loam from several river systems
and lots
of pine forest in the past. All climbers have done very well this
year, the
large reds and the small pink.

Good!

Eaten by grasshoppers at one time, the second leaf out is
continuing.

Ah HA! Maybe that accounts for some
suspiciously eaten parts of some of my
roses. I have seen a fair number of
grasshoppers around, but with so many
roses it's hard to notice a little bit of
damage to only a few roses.

We expect a freeze, rather hope for one as it cuts back on the bug
collection.

Martin

We seldom get a freeze over winter. Last
one was '05; three days got down to the low
20s. I can't remember the last time my
roses went dormant. Their growth will
slow down, but not stop.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8 USA

Old 30-11-2007, 01:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Was out in the shop and my dear wife was making yet another garden.
I noticed when we both took a break on our lunch table in the roses
that the yellows are in large buds and one breaking out. Other reds
are in buds but still small, the foliage is likely the best we have
seen. They just got some feed and slurp up bug zap just before the
2.5" rain. Now for a second bloom just before winter. First year in
the ground and doing well. We had planned on building roots and protecting
from root eaters. See how the winter comes or never comes.

Martin [ recovering from kidney issues from massive sulfur in a bought pie. ]

Old 01-12-2007, 12:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Just finished covering my roses in compost after cutting them back just
enough to be able to apply it. Unlike TX, it can get quite cold here in
Southeast MI, often with lows of 0 or less.

I generally have between 70 and 150 cuttings that I grow over the winter.
Up until now, I've used these to start a new bed someplace on my 2.5 acres.
I think this year I'll use most of them to replace the plants I loss due to
winter kill.

We have a wonderful rose nursery (Great Lakes Roses) that is going out of
business soon. They specialize in own-root, winter hardy rose, including
Buck roses. I picked up 35 or so Bucks this fall, (half-off) and I'm
wintering them over under my lights. I'll plant them in the spring. With
these, I'll have some where in the neighborhood of 500 plant, with about
200+ different cultivars. I know that may seem like a lot, and sometime I
agree. We just have so much room here, it seem like a shame not to fill it
up.

We can't have tender roses here, although I'm trying to convince my wife a
greenhouse out back would be a great addition. Old world roses do well, and
with so much room, I don't mind having nonrepeating ramblers and such around
the property.

You're right Gail, roses can require a fair amount of attention. I have a
12 gal, battery powered sprayer that goes a long way to reduce my spraying
time, but its still a big job. On the other hand, when everyone is
flushed-out in early June... WOW!

I'm not sure how long I'll continue to expand my rose collection, but not
matter if its 1 or 1000, they are a joy to behold.

Best Regards

Jeff Southeast MI, zone 5

Old 06-12-2007, 10:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

In article ,
Jeffrey L. Kline wrote:

We have a wonderful rose nursery (Great Lakes Roses) that is going out of
business soon. They specialize in own-root, winter hardy rose, including
Buck roses. I picked up 35 or so Bucks this fall, (half-off) and I'm

[Checks Web Site]

Good grief, I never knew they existed. And I travel between Chicago and
Detroit all the time.

I can add two more roses to the condominium garden, I think, and I was
looking at the Buck roses to go with the one I've already planted (and
which is doing very well). Hmm. And they're just a small side-trip
away...

--
-john

February 28 1997: Last day libraries could order catalogue cards
from the Library of Congress.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

In article ,
Gail Futoran wrote:
At one point my rose garden had 150 roses.
It's now down to 95 and will probably hold
at that point for awhile. I found there's so
much work to do to keep up, and I consider
myself a minimalist when it comes to
gardening!

Minimalist. Ah. Okay.

How do your gardens grow?

Mostly in daffodils (early), irises (mid) and "other". I only started
with a (that's singular) rose shrub this year after I read how Griffith
Buck bred his roses. In zone 5 in city conditions, I pay attention to
things like that.

Old 10-12-2007, 05:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

"John M. Gamble" wrote in message
Gail asked:
How do your gardens grow?

Mostly in daffodils (early), irises (mid) and "other". I only
started
with a (that's singular) rose shrub this year after I read how
Griffith
Buck bred his roses. In zone 5 in city conditions, I pay attention
things like that.

--
-john

Which Buck rose? I think the only one I
have is Distant Drums, and I have three
copies of that. It does well even in the
hot (harsh) conditions of south/central
TX.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 10-12-2007, 10:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

In article ,
Gail Futoran wrote:
"John M. Gamble" wrote in message
Gail asked:
How do your gardens grow?

Mostly in daffodils (early), irises (mid) and "other". I only
started
with a (that's singular) rose shrub this year after I read how
Griffith
Buck bred his roses. In zone 5 in city conditions, I pay attention
things like that.

--
-john

Which Buck rose? I think the only one I
have is Distant Drums, and I have three
copies of that. It does well even in the
hot (harsh) conditions of south/central
TX.

Prairie Sunrise. It bloomed immediately after being shipped from
Wisconsin and planted. The color was much paler than described, but
that may be due to our lousy soil (I'm working on that). The plant
itself is very sturdy with deep glossy green leaves. I'm looking
forward to its re-appearance after a winter here.

I'm thinking of getting Country Dancer for 2008, another Griffith
Buck rose.

Old 11-12-2007, 06:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

"John M. Gamble" wrote in message
In article
,
Gail Futoran wrote:
[...]

Yep, I've heard of both of those. And I
think I've seen photos in some catalog.

I've noticed some roses seem almost
immune to environmental conditions - the
colors are the same no matter where planted,
whereas others roses are more sensitive
to soil, humidity, sunlight, etc.

I try to take catalog (online or in print)
descriptions with a grain of salt.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

I have two distant drums in pots as well as a country music and a hi
neighbor in the ground. All very nice although smallish at this point. I
have 35 bucks in 5 inch pots under lights in my basement, and they are
blooming like crazy. Cute. Word around here is that they are very hardy.
The old Ford estate, (like in Ford motor company) has a big collection that
is quite outstanding.

Jeff Southeast Michigan, zone 5

Old 12-12-2007, 11:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

"Jeffrey L. Kline" wrote in message
. net...
I have two distant drums in pots as well as a country music and a hi
neighbor in the ground. All very nice although smallish at this
point. I have 35 bucks in 5 inch pots under lights in my basement,
and they are blooming like crazy. Cute. Word around here is that
they are very hardy. The old Ford estate, (like in Ford motor
company) has a big collection that is quite outstanding.

Jeff Southeast Michigan, zone 5

The (the Ford estate collection) would be well
worth seeing.

Re hardiness of Bucks: I think that refers
to cold tolerance, right? That I don't have
problems with. I've noticed the Distant
Drums tolerate heat quite well, continuing
to bloom in the summer when many other
modern roses in my collection have
decided to wait for the fall cool-down.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 13-12-2007, 12:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

The story I've been told is that Buck had very little in the way of funding
for his college based project. So when he developed a new cultivar, he
would stick it in the ground and wish it well. If it was still alive after
3 years, he'd go to the next step and try to market it.

The upshot of this is a very hardy rose, both in regards to climate (hot and
cold) and disease resistance. I can tell you I don't spray my Buck's, and
they have yet to develop black spot, which is alive and living large here in
Michigan.

Interesting side note: the Buck rose line almost faded into oblivion due to
a lack of interest in marketing on the part of Buck. (its said he was
allergic to the smell of roses. The story goes the name Distant Drum was
based on the fact the he could smell it from a great distant, and it made
him wheeze!)

Old 13-12-2007, 06:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

In article ,
Gail Futoran wrote:
"Jeffrey L. Kline" wrote in message
.net...
I have two distant drums in pots as well as a country music and a hi
neighbor in the ground. All very nice although smallish at this
point. I have 35 bucks in 5 inch pots under lights in my basement,
and they are blooming like crazy. Cute. Word around here is that
they are very hardy. The old Ford estate, (like in Ford motor
company) has a big collection that is quite outstanding.

Jeff Southeast Michigan, zone 5

The (the Ford estate collection) would be well
worth seeing.

Re hardiness of Bucks: I think that refers
to cold tolerance, right? That I don't have

Somewhat.

"When Dr. Buck set out to produce cold-hardy roses, he began with
proven performers, including Rosa laxa, a species native to the
Siberian steppes. Once crosses were made and the resulting
seedlings sprouted, they were planted in outdoor fields, neither
sprayed nor irrigated, and left to survive the elements. The
young plants that thrived under the rigorous conditions passed Dr.
Buck's first and most critical test. ..."

http://query.nytimes.com/fullpage.html?res=9806E1DD1039F932A15754C0A9649C8B 63#

This was the New York Times article that caught my attention. When
I came across a entry for some Griffith Buck roses in the Jung
catalogue, I thought that I'd give one a try. So far I'm pleased.

You'll note that although cold-hardiness was the primary characteristic
that he sought, the "neither sprayed nor irrigated" line says to me that
the plants should be pretty good at surviving droughts as well (low
rainfall is common here). We didn't have the full-fledged drought
this year that we've had before, but there were some pretty dry weeks,
and the plant came through beautifully.