Old 18-02-2008, 05:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default Nutrients That Promote New Canes

I'm in San Francisco... whichever zone that is and have several hybrids
in containers. Last year overall was very cool/cold weather and I have a
couple of roses that did not produce any new canes at bud union. What
nutrients are needed to ensure strong, healthy new canes as foundation
for next years growth?

So far this year I have used organic alfalfa meal and sul po mag
(sulfur, potassium, magnesium) from E. B. Stone (one time end of Jan)
and water with MaxSea All Purpose added. Plan to use E. B. Stone Rose
Food every six weeks throughout season.

Thank you, in advance for any suggestions/comments... Jim
Old 18-02-2008, 11:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Jim;

I've used Epson salts to promote basal breaks. Also, make sure your bud
unions are at or above ground level for the best results. Sun on the union
seems to help. How big are the pots? Root-bound roses don't tend to throw
basal breaks.

Good luck

Jeff, Southeast Michigan, Zone 5

Old 07-03-2008, 11:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

"Jim" wrote in message

I'm in San Francisco... whichever zone that is and have several hybrids
in containers. Last year overall was very cool/cold weather and I have a
couple of roses that did not produce any new canes at bud union. What
nutrients are needed to ensure strong, healthy new canes as foundation
for next years growth?

So far this year I have used organic alfalfa meal and sul po mag
(sulfur, potassium, magnesium) from E. B. Stone (one time end of Jan)
and water with MaxSea All Purpose added. Plan to use E. B. Stone Rose
Food every six weeks throughout season.

Thank you, in advance for any suggestions/comments... Jim

How often do you add Epsom Salt? Do you do it every feeding, or is it
a once a year thing?
Old 08-03-2008, 01:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Once in the spring, about 1/4 cup around the base of the plant. Scratch it
in a bit. A good drink of water afterwards would be good.

Also, just so you know, here in Michigan, we either bury the union several
inches and or cover them in the fall to protect against freeze. I find the
ones I bury are more likely to survive, but product fewer basal breaks.