Old 02-03-2008, 02:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default Rose canes are sprouting like all out doors!

We have several dozen small bloom sized Pink roses that are climbers.
The previous owner planted an L of steel link fence with them.

It seems that the latest rain and 80 degree weather is forcing them
out.

We plan on rebuilding the fence that was broken and crushed a bit
by horses. Now the roses have a chance since they are gone.

Do we weave or what I think - place along the lacing in the fence
and then down the top as possible ?

I think that way if we cut back or need to the canes will come
easier since only side branches might weave.

Martin in mostly Sunny and partly rainy East Texas.
--
Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/
Old 02-03-2008, 03:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

They sound like Rosa Multiflora, in which case they will ramble like crazy!
They have been used as a nature fence with great results. I just let mine
go and sort it out for themselves. I've done weaving, and been sorry when I
need to prune away old wood. Tying is much better. I'm sure you know this
already Martin, but if they are Multiflora, they are non-repeaters and
should be pruned only after they're done blooming.

Jeff Southeast Michigan, zone 5

Old 03-03-2008, 02:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

That helps. I'll look up the name and see if anything matches.
Since they are mostly recovering from hungry horses - thorns and all -
I'll see what happens on the good looking ones and those we prune
might help show the way.

Thanks again and glad another non-spam message got through!
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/