Old 15-03-2008, 01:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default 2008 pre planted roses

Wow - got hot today - strong north blowing wind. Lets not hope it goes
far north - melt the ice to fast and floods.

My weather station measured 93 F and when in the shop with front and back
doors open (10'x10') a wasp hit me between the glasses and the eyebrow!

He was so confused (flying with a 13 mph tail wind) that he fell off
and flew away. PHEW!

Roses are growing like weeds. Green leaves abound.
The ground is still soft and spongy to walk on. Expect more rain mid week.

Martin [ at least one valid post was posted ! ]
--
Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Old 16-03-2008, 07:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

The last patch of snow is just about gone from the rose beds. If the
weather holds for a few days, I'll spray with Lime-sulfur while the roses
are still dormant. Spring pruning is still a month or so away. I see a lot
of dead wood, but hopefully the roots are good (most of my roses are
own-root) and my losses will be limited.

Martin, did you look up your climbers? Do they look like Rosa Multiflora?

Jeff, Southeast Michigan, Zone 5

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
Wow - got hot today - strong north blowing wind. Lets not hope it goes
far north - melt the ice to fast and floods.

My weather station measured 93 F and when in the shop with front and back
doors open (10'x10') a wasp hit me between the glasses and the eyebrow!

He was so confused (flying with a 13 mph tail wind) that he fell off
and flew away. PHEW!

Roses are growing like weeds. Green leaves abound.
The ground is still soft and spongy to walk on. Expect more rain mid
week.

Martin [ at least one valid post was posted ! ]
--
Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

News==----
http://www.pronews.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 100,000
Newsgroups

Old 16-03-2008, 08:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

On Mar 16, 3:28 pm, "Jeffrey L. Kline" wrote:
[...]

Just curious - what does the Lime sulfur do? I've never heard of that
before as I am a novice.

Thanks.

Dave
Old 16-03-2008, 09:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Sulfur is very effective in controlling black spot, powdery mildew and the
like (I think the lime is just to balance the pH a bit). I like to put it
on the soil and plant in the early winter and early spring to kill back
fungus that may winter over. Best applied when the roses are dormant, as it
can burn the leaves. Sometimes I use it during the growing season, but at
half strength.

wrote in message
[...]

@ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot
net

Old 17-03-2008, 02:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Nope - have my beloved searching in the books and webs.

We have several dozen plants and of the pinks on the fence - likely 50.
They run down 50' and then an L another 50.

With the next door horses gone, they are growing leaps and bounds. They
are on the list to take care of once we get some trees planted and roses
as well.

A small butterfly garden took place and more in progress...

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Old 18-03-2008, 01:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Searching for Pink and Rosa came up some nice images.
I think we will have to wait for first bloom and take leaf and bloom to books
or web.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/