Old 28-03-2008, 09:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default Come-on Spring

The 3 inches of snow we received last night has all but melted. I took a
bit of a walk 'round the rose beds while I was out clearing the drainage
ditch. It's been a cold, snowy winter, which in some sense should be better
for roses than the hot-cold-hot-cold winters we've had the past several
years. I've been hopeful that the roses have faired well.

I'm continually amazed at the level of die-back. I generally apply 3 to 4
inches of mulch to the bed in the fall, mounding it up around the roses.
Many of the roses have died-back all the away to the top of the mulch. Most
have visible green, although some are still in question.

I've never really had great luck with modern climbers. The winter die-back
really reduces the amount of surviving old wood, so roses that bloom on old
wood don't do well for me. I know some people tie them up and cover them in
the fall, but somehow that just seems a little too much like work.

An interesting exception is my Dortmund climbers. Most years they lose
canes to the ground. This year, there seems to be several nice looking
cane, and I'm hopeful they wouldn't have to start from scratch. I built a
12 tall trellis for them but it never top about 8 feet. Maybe this year.

The baby roses downstairs are hanging in there. The spider mites are still
lurking although at bay for the moment, and there are often half dozen
blooms. I'd love to move them outside to begin hardening-off, but it will
be several weeks before it will be warm enough for that. We can have frosts
until late May, although I can't wait that long.

Come-on spring!

Jeff, Southeast Michigan, Zone 5

Spring serenades, evening harmonies, and offerings of Spring come madgardener Gardening 2 21-04-2004 01:04 AM
Spring doings, major garden accomplishments and spring is bursting out up in Fairy holler madgardener Gardening 0 25-03-2004 10:03 PM
Spring doings, major garden accomplishments and spring is bursting out up in Fairy holler madgardener Gardening 0 25-03-2004 10:02 PM
Will spring ever come? Neil Law Ponds 0 07-03-2003 01:58 PM
Oh But For Spring To Come (long) LeeAnne Gardening 14 04-02-2003 05:58 PM