Old 29-03-2008, 02:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default What kind of rose is this?

I have a very old (my neighbors say it has been around for 20+ years -
long before we moved in) climbing rose that I need help identifying.
I believe it is a once-blooming variety, but I can't be sure because
last summer was the first time anyone fed it or pruned it in years.
Here are links to 2 pictures that I took last summer. Any help would
be appreciated!

http://picasaweb.google.com/greatyet...65696702128914

http://picasaweb.google.com/greatyet...65700997096226
Old 29-03-2008, 06:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

wrote in message
I have a very old (my neighbors say it has been around for 20+
years -
long before we moved in) climbing rose that I need help identifying.
I believe it is a once-blooming variety, but I can't be sure because
last summer was the first time anyone fed it or pruned it in years.
Here are links to 2 pictures that I took last summer. Any help
would
be appreciated!

http://picasaweb.google.com/greatyet...65696702128914

http://picasaweb.google.com/greatyet...65700997096226

I don't recognize that rose. You might
try this link and do an advanced search
on what you do know about the rose
(climber, color, number of petals). The
photos provided at the site might help you
match up your blooms.

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/roses.php

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8 USA

Old 23-04-2008, 05:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

I wonder if it is rootstock. Most roses are grafted onto a rootstock
(because they are breeding for color, not roots).

Sometimes it can take over the original rose (especially after 20
years). You can usually tell by the small red roses, and sometimes
the leafs are smaller than normal too. Usually they only bloom once a
year.

They're still perfectly fine roses, they just might have a name. And
they may actually have a SMELL!

All roses bloom on new wood, so it's best to prune in winter or early
spring. You can prune now to remove dead wood or stray canes, but
nothing too drastic. And give it a little 1/2 strength fertilizer.
Good luck

Old 23-04-2008, 08:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

How about Dr. Huey? http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=1550&tab=10

Its not Rosa Multiflora, the other common root stock.

Jeff, Southeast Michigan, Zone 5

"Laura from MomsRetro.com" wrote in message
I wonder if it is rootstock. Most roses are grafted onto a rootstock
(because they are breeding for color, not roots).

Sometimes it can take over the original rose (especially after 20
years). You can usually tell by the small red roses, and sometimes
the leafs are smaller than normal too. Usually they only bloom once a
year.

They're still perfectly fine roses, they just might have a name. And
they may actually have a SMELL!

All roses bloom on new wood, so it's best to prune in winter or early
spring. You can prune now to remove dead wood or stray canes, but
nothing too drastic. And give it a little 1/2 strength fertilizer.
Good luck

what kind of rose is that? Amistade Roses 2 06-04-2004 08:23 PM
what kind of rose is that? Amistade Roses 0 06-04-2004 08:22 PM
What kind of rose is it ? Mida Roses 5 31-12-2003 04:45 PM
Rose Celebrations and meeting with the Rose-Obsessed USDA map Radika Kesavan Roses 1 30-01-2003 11:36 PM
Ventura County Rose Society Rose Auction James Delahanty Roses 1 25-01-2003 04:37 AM