Old 31-05-2008, 06:59 PM
Registered User

Default Tall roses

I bought my new house in July last year, in the front garden there are 3 rose bush which are really tall - approx 6 foot plus. When they were flowering last year they looked lovely. I am used to having roses and am aware of how to care for them and prune them.
However, my problem is that these bushes just seem too high. I pruned them back as far as i could but the base of them resembles a tree bark, this carries on for about 10 inches, maybe further on some. So for a few feet, there is no grenery as they just look dead. The top is full of greenery and buds ready to open now.
I am wondering if there is anything i can do to treat the bases of these bushes to make them bud again and how to make them smaller.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

They might be grown that way so other flowers can be seen under - and
to keep moisture from the leaves - more air flow.

Rose trees are common also. These might have been rose trees that got
out of hand.

Our place here was lived in, but not attended to for 10 years.
They might just be top overgrown.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Old 01-06-2008, 10:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Its sound like the roses need pruning of the old wood to promote new basal
breaks.

It this a non-repeater? If so what until its done blooming, otherwise cut
out about 1/3 of the old wood, to the ground. Give it some food (something
balanced) and try a 1/4 cup of epsilon salts, worked into the soil around
the base.

As long as there are big old canes, the rose is not going to be inclined to
produce new canes.

Prune some more of the old wood each year until you have replaced them with
new canes.

Good luck,

Jeff, Southeast Michigan, Zone 5 (we've just started to see some blooms)

--
nikkikuz