Old 16-06-2008, 02:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default Color change in Roses - is it PH sensitive

My beloved planted some deep purple roses - I don't have the name as of yet -
and after the second bloom the color is a lighter shade of purple.

I'm thinking that the PH of the soil, clay and planting soil mixed might be
altering the color.

What does the knowledge base have on this ?

I'll pursue the name - there is a tag on the plant.

I know some plants move like litmus paper - pink acid and blue base. I think
I have a rose working like that to a lesser amount.

Martin

--
Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Old 16-06-2008, 11:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

I'd bet it's more a function of temp than pH.

jk
"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
My beloved planted some deep purple roses - I don't have the name as of
yet -
and after the second bloom the color is a lighter shade of purple.

I'm thinking that the PH of the soil, clay and planting soil mixed might
be
altering the color.

What does the knowledge base have on this ?

I'll pursue the name - there is a tag on the plant.

I know some plants move like litmus paper - pink acid and blue base. I
think
I have a rose working like that to a lesser amount.

Martin

--
Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

News==----
http://www.pronews.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 100,000
Newsgroups

Old 17-06-2008, 03:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Sounds logical - temp. We have two "Ebb Tide" and both are in that mode.
The mix is not exactly the same. Size of hole and the amount of the local
clay. Therefore the PH is slightly different between the two based on that.

I'll monitor it from time to time. Might take fall to fall before change
can be seen.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Old 16-07-2008, 10:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

On Jun 15, 6:23 pm, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:
My beloved planted some deep purple roses - I don't have the name as of yet -
and after the second bloom the color is a lighter shade of purple.

I'm thinking that the PH of the soil, clay and planting soil mixed might be
altering the color.

What does the knowledge base have on this ?

I'll pursue the name - there is a tag on the plant.

I know some plants move like litmus paper - pink acid and blue base. I think
I have a rose working like that to a lesser amount.

Martin

--
Martin H. Eastburn
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.http://lufkinced.com/

I know that the last posting of this question was last month, but I
also am having the same problem with two of my rose bushes. One is a
climbing rose called "Night Owl." It is a new bush, that we just
bought and planted about two months ago. The first time it bloomed,
it bloomed a very dark wine purple, which is the color that it is
suppose to be.....just beautiful. When the next set of blooms came
out, they were all a magenta color. Also at the same time, we bought
and planted, a hybrid tea rose called "Black Bacarra." This rose, as
the name suggests, is the deepest of purple, in which makes the rose
appear to be black in color. It now has bloomed twice, and both times
the flowers have also been magenta in color. Other than what I have
read about it possibly being the fact that the grafted part of the
rose died, which I know for a fact didn't happen in my case, is there
any reason for this, as I would love the have the color be what it is
suppose to be. Thanking you............L
Old 16-07-2008, 11:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Most grafted roses in the USA use Dr Huey
http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=1550 as the root stock. Its dark
red and a nonrepeater. If your roses have bloomed twice, it is unlikely a
Huey. (I have several exampled of Dr Huey in my garden, the result of root
stock take-over!) My bet is still it is a temperature/sun light effect.
Very dark blends seem to be most affected by high temperature and bleaching
from the sun. My fragrant plum is very dark in the spring and fall and
relatively pale in the heat and strong sun of the summer. I've not read or
heard (nor have my rose connections) of pH having a big impact on the color
of blooms, although iron deficiency associated alkaline pH can case pale
foliage. Here's a nice explanation of that process:
http://www.organicrosecare.org/artic...n_and_clay.php

The pictures of Black Bacarra (they spell it Baccara, they claim the Bacarra
spelling was a distributor's typo) on Help Me Find
http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=42089&tab=1 show a wide variation
in color, from red to almost black.

I'd be interested to see what happen when it cools off a bit.

Jeff, Southeast Michigan, Zone 5

wrote:
My beloved planted some deep purple roses - I don't have the name as of
yet -
and after the second bloom the color is a lighter shade of purple.

I'm thinking that the PH of the soil, clay and planting soil mixed might
be
altering the color.

What does the knowledge base have on this ?

I'll pursue the name - there is a tag on the plant.

I know some plants move like litmus paper - pink acid and blue base. I
think
I have a rose working like that to a lesser amount.

Martin

--
Martin H. Eastburn
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.http://lufkinced.com/

100,000 Newsgroups

Old 17-07-2008, 04:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

wrote:
My beloved planted some deep purple roses - I don't have the name
as of yet -
and after the second bloom the color is a lighter shade of purple.

I'm thinking that the PH of the soil, clay and planting soil mixed
might be
altering the color.

What does the knowledge base have on this ?

I'll pursue the name - there is a tag on the plant.

I know some plants move like litmus paper - pink acid and blue
base. I think
I have a rose working like that to a lesser amount.

Martin

--
Martin H. Eastburn
@ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated
dot net
TSRA, Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's
Medal.

Usenet News==----http://www.pronews.comThe #1 Newsgroup Service in
[...]

Bloom color can vary due to cultural and weather factors. Your bushes
are too new for you to be overly concerned. I would be patient and see
how they do under different weather conditions.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8 USA