Old 19-08-2008, 12:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default Life Span

For twenty years I have had about two hundred pink Jackson & Perkins
climbing roses on the borders of my property. They have been
beautiful. Last year and this year some of the bushes have died,
others do not look too good. My gardener and I have tried various
fertilizers, watering plans, pruning, everything. A Jackson & Perkins
horticulturist told me today that hybrid roses have a finite life span
and I was fortunate that they have lasted this long. Original roses
can last much longer he said. Can anyone confirm this or lead me to
documentation supporting it? I would hate to have to buy all new
plants. Thank you!
Old 19-08-2008, 01:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Sounds like they say it has a time bomb in the genetics.

Hum - might be a way to keep copies out of the gardens.

Might be a genetic breakdown between the root stock and bloom stock.

Interesting.

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Old 19-08-2008, 04:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

I've heard this before, generally referenced to grafted roses. Own-root
roses are suppose to last longer. That being said, I know of grafted HT
that are over 30 years old and going strong, so this must not be true of all
roses, grafted or otherwise.

Jeff, Southeast Michigan, Zone 5

Old 20-08-2008, 10:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

We have a grafted Tropicana, which we inherited when we purchased our house
45 years ago. It's still thriving, although in recent years the graft
roots has been trying to send up shoots of their own.

Undine, Zone 5