Old 10-09-2008, 10:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default New Rose Growth

Greetings all. This spring I attempted and succeeded in sprouting a
rose seed from a very old bush ( 1976 , at least ) The plant is indoors
and grew well to about five inches but has now stpped growing . Would it
be going into winter dormancy ?
Any insights would be appreciated . I live in Minnesota and hesitate to
put it out for the winter , but I heavily mulch the mother plant and
it's seems very hearty and gives great blooms in the summer .
Thanks , Don

Old 11-09-2008, 12:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

I find my cuttings are pot limited. They get so big in the pots I start
them in and then require transplantation to a large pot before they will
continue to grow.

It could be it's getting ready for a winter sleep. I would be inclined to
put it in a good sized pot, say a one gallon, and keep it in an unheated
garage for the winter. (You don't want it to freeze hard, and remember to
keep the soil moist) You can put it in the ground in the spring; it sound
like it still has a fairly small root system, which maybe difficult to
protect outdoors. Unless you have a good light system for indoor growing, I
wouldn't advice wintering it inside the house.

Jeff, Southeast Michigan, Zone 5

Old 11-09-2008, 02:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

The Sun is on the fast move right now. (we are actually).
If the hours / day changes much the effect causes a response in plants and people.

Maybe a different window with more southern sky might help it along.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/