Old 20-01-2009, 12:56 AM
Registered User

Question New rose from an old plant

Let me start by admitting I know nothing! Approx. 2 years ago I got a chunk of root from an very old rose bush that belonged to my wife's Grandmother. The original rose bush was very large and dated back to before 1945. I managed to get the root to grow, two stalks came up. It did not bad the first year, even producing many blossoms, but now the plant is struggling. The plant is indoors (do to a very cold climate here). The original plant was growing in a semi desert area 500 miles south, and of course outdoors. On my plant, when the leaves come out they start to curl and then the area that started to curl dries out. As the leaves wilt I prune them off and there seems to be many more buds that are visible and ready grow. Unfortunately the new growth does the same thing. I have the plant under a grow light at least 14 hrs a day.
The plant has great sentimental value to my wife as neither her Grandmother or the original rose bush is around any longer. Any advice anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Old 21-01-2009, 01:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default New rose from an old plant

Give us more info. Where do you live, does the plant only bloom once or
does it repeat? How often do you water? How about food?

In general, growing roses indoors is shaky at best.

Jeff, Southeast Michigan, Zone 5
(-19F the other day)

--
Windowles

Old 21-01-2009, 03:25 AM
Registered User

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windowles View Post
[...]
Sounds like, you know more about gardening than you think, growing a rose indoors is not easy, and you were succeeding until recently.I hope your rose is still alive, for they, like many other plants will still send out buds/leaves months after the plant has past its used by date, i hope this is not the case. Having an "old world" rose growing indoors is, to me anyway, amazing. There are far too many possible problems for me to list, i would suggest you post another message stating everything you do to the plant, with regards to its watering,feeding and location and perhaps the soil type.Good luck and god bless. ps a photo would really help others help you.
Old 23-01-2009, 05:05 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris anthem um View Post
There are far too many possible problems for me to list, i would suggest you post another message stating everything you do to the plant, with regards to its watering,feeding and location and perhaps the soil type.Good luck and god bless. ps a photo would really help others help you.
Ok, regarding the watering. As the the plant started to do poorly, I watered more, and it did worse. Now I am letting it dry out more, but when the soil down 4 inches is dry I water from the top. (I use a moisture meter). I also try to mist it every couple of days. Every month or two I add a little fertilizer to the water when I water. (20-20-20 all purpose water soluble). Not for the last two months as the plant is not doing much. The plant sits on a stand near a large south facing window with a grow light about 6 inches above the highest branch. When we get up in the morning the light goes on and stays on all day and goes off in the evening. (average 14 hrs a day). The soil is a store bought potting soil with a little sand. I live in western Canada, Latitude: 53°53′00″ (Prince George, British Columbia). The plant has blossomed at least four times, usually more then one blossom at a time. The last time was one, the time before that there were 5 roses. The plant did have aphids about 7 months ago but I managed to get rid of them with a mist of soapy water. No sign of them now.
I am going to try and attach some pictures.
Thanks for all your help.
Old 23-01-2009, 05:10 PM
Registered User

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windowles View Post
I am going to try and attach some pictures.
Thanks for all your help.

I have photos but have been unable to upload them.
??????

Old 01-07-2011, 07:18 PM
Registered User

The clay is a abundance bought potting clay with a little sand. I reside in western Canada, Latitude: 53°53′00″ (Prince George, British Columbia). The bulb has blossomed at atomic four times, usually added again one bloom at a time. The endure time was one, the time afore that there were 5 roses.
__________________
Grow tents
Old 04-07-2011, 09:13 AM
Jassica's Avatar
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rioncapsi View Post
The clay is a abundance bought potting clay with a little sand. I reside in western Canada, Latitude: 53°53′00″ (Prince George, British Columbia). The bulb has blossomed at atomic four times, usually added again one bloom at a time. The endure time was one, the time afore that there were 5 roses.
hi, I saw good grow tent.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:31 AM
martijn's Avatar
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jassica View Post
hi, I saw good grow tent.
Hello . really nice tent there.

old pond, old pump Charlie Brown Ponds (alternative) 1 04-08-2006 08:19 PM
[IBC] For old, Old, OLD members ;-) Bill Neff Bonsai 3 18-05-2005 04:28 AM
[IBC] For old, Old, OLD members ;-) Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 17-05-2005 09:14 PM
Old Trees and old news P van Rijckevorsel Plant Science 0 17-12-2003 04:04 PM
Planting a 3 week old tank and propagating a 2 year old sword rhizome McCord Tech Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 12-09-2003 10:22 AM