Old 25-02-2009, 07:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default Roses from seed

Greetings , fans of the rose. I have done some googling and discovered
some websites that assist in growing rose from seed .
Maryland Rose Society Online: Propagation by seed
Address:http://www.mgs.md.gov/mdrose/rfaq3seed.html
I wonder if anyone in this group has tried growing roses from seed.
Any insight would be appreciated .
Thank You .
Don,....

Old 28-02-2009, 05:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

I have tried and never had any success. I have some rugosa seeds in a pot
right now, but nothing so far. How long does it take (on average) for rose
hips to sprout? Does anyone here know.

Old 28-02-2009, 06:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

You should see germination in about 14 to 21 days. The seeds need a cold
period before the will activate, so if you pick them in the fall, wait till
the hips is shriveled but not black, and then put them in the refrigerator
for about 6 weeks. Then open the hip and drop the seeds in a cup of water.
The ones that float are good.

Jeff, Southeast Michigan, Zone 5

Old 01-03-2009, 04:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Thanks for the info. I shall try the sink or swim method, as I did the
"freeze before planting bit," so perhaps the seeds weren't viable. I'm just
doing it to prove that I can (one day) succeed, so shall start over, with
new seeds.