Old 27-04-2003, 07:20 PM
Allegra

Default Hi Larry,

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
In article J8Jqa.366585$OV.386514@rwcrnsc54,
says...
Many considered Mr. Thomas too "last century" to understand the
importance and greatness of his contributions. Those of us who had
the privilege of knowing him and were gifted with his knowledge
will have a debt of gratitude to outlast his time on this earth.

Ain't it the truth! I kept looking for something in our newspaper,
especially in the gardening columns, but never a mention :-(.

Politicians, military heroes, and actors lives get noted. Creating
beautiful plants just doesn't seem to qualify.

Hi Larry,

Sad but true. Remember the saying "there are those who know
the price of everything and the value of nothing"? I guess it applies
with your comment. Mr. Thomas was like a guardian angel for
many a plant, and he was kind and interested in anyone who grew
anything, always had a moment to answer a question, shared a
suggestion and in his way - he could be highly opinionated who I
personally consider a virtue ;) - he made suggestions that always
benefited both the garden and the gardener. David Austin would have
never gotten to where he is without the wise counsel of Mr. Thomas,
albeit I know that Austin ignored most of Mr. Thomas criticisms, and
some of his lesser "creations" seem to me to testify for that.

As you said, nary a mention anywhere. I guess notorious is more
valuable than famous these days.

To announce that there must be no criticism of the president or that we
are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic
and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
Teddy Roosevelt

I agree with Guido about your sig. Too true for many people to really
understand what good old Teddy was saying there.

How are your roses doing? Here I am about to go out and perform surgery on
the basals, I should have done that last week, but it was raining all week,
today there is sunshine, so here I go, Felcos away! Have a good Sunday,

Allegra