Old 26-03-2011, 07:41 PM
Registered User

Default rose hybridisation

hi this is something that happened in my garden. we had one rose with yellow flowers in our garden and a wild sp which hung over from the neighbours.The different species of rosa were growing close to each other. They were seen to grow a single stem over a period of days. The stems from both plants entwined each other and produced flowers. The flowers were next to each other and pollination occurred. One plant changed its external characteristics i.e leaf shape and colour.
I have not found any reference to this. What is this process called?
Many thanks if someone can answer this
Old 30-03-2011, 06:28 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by malystryx View Post
hi this is something that happened in my garden. we had one rose with yellow flowers in our garden and a wild sp which hung over from the neighbours.The different species of rosa were growing close to each other. They were seen to grow a single stem over a period of days. The stems from both plants entwined each other and produced flowers. The flowers were next to each other and pollination occurred. One plant changed its external characteristics i.e leaf shape and colour.
I have not found any reference to this. What is this process called?
Many thanks if someone can answer this
I believe what you are referring to is Cross-pollination. This happens when two flowers with different colors are planted close to each other. The hybrid of the two different flower plants is most likely to change colors, sometimes in patches or blended colors. That I believe is what happened to yours.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:26 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayson Ives View Post
I believe what you are referring to is Cross-pollination. This happens when two flowers with different colors are planted close to each other. The hybrid of the two different flower plants is most likely to change colors, sometimes in patches or blended colors. That I believe is what happened to yours.
Jayson is right. You need not worry about the plants growing very close, that is unless it is okay for you to grow more flowers with mixed colors. The process of cross-pollination is natural and it's just all about your preference. Good luck!
Old 26-04-2011, 10:54 AM
Registered User

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by malystryx View Post
hi this is something that happened in my garden. we had one rose with yellow flowers in our garden and a wild sp which hung over from the neighbours.The different species of rosa were growing close to each other. They were seen to grow a single stem over a period of days. The stems from both plants entwined each other and produced flowers. The flowers were next to each other and pollination occurred. One plant changed its external characteristics i.e leaf shape and colour.
I have not found any reference to this. What is this process called?
Many thanks if someone can answer this
Hi,

This process is called as roses hybridisation. Its a biotechnical process.