Old 22-03-2012, 10:40 AM
stitchandfold's Avatar
Registered User

Location: Oxfordshire
Default Climbing/Rambling rose recommendation

We have a small arch in our garden, which currently has honeysuckle and a clematis growing up it. We were considering getting a rose to climb up it to, as we reckon that a strong stem would help secure the arch which is not very substantial. Would somebody be able to recommend a suitable rose? My guy likes red roses with a strong fragrance, and ideally we would choose a rose which is attractive to pollinating insects. The arch receives sun all day long and faces the south.
Attached Thumbnails
Climbing/Rambling rose recommendation-garden.jpg
Old 22-03-2012, 11:29 AM
Registered User

Location: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchandfold View Post
We have a small arch in our garden, which currently has honeysuckle and a clematis growing up it. We were considering getting a rose to climb up it to, as we reckon that a strong stem would help secure the arch which is not very substantial. Would somebody be able to recommend a suitable rose? My guy likes red roses with a strong fragrance, and ideally we would choose a rose which is attractive to pollinating insects. The arch receives sun all day long and faces the south.
There are three basic types of climbing roses that you can choose from Rambling Roses, True Climbers and Trailers. Rambling climbing roses are perhaps the most impressive in terms of growth. Several varieties of rambling roses have extremely large blooms. True climbers are the perfect choice for any rose lover who is looking for a climbing rose that has extremely large blossoms. Trailing roses are an excellent choice in climbing roses because they are extremely resistant to the diseases that often compromise other varieties of climbing roses. For more info on rose flower gardening log on to Hydroponics, General Hydroponics, Hydroponic Nutrients & Supplies
__________________
Fruit Trees
Old 23-03-2012, 11:44 AM
stitchandfold's Avatar
Registered User

Location: Oxfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen73 View Post
There are three basic types of climbing roses that you can choose from Rambling Roses, True Climbers and Trailers. Rambling climbing roses are perhaps the most impressive in terms of growth. Several varieties of rambling roses have extremely large blooms. True climbers are the perfect choice for any rose lover who is looking for a climbing rose that has extremely large blossoms. Trailing roses are an excellent choice in climbing roses because they are extremely resistant to the diseases that often compromise other varieties of climbing roses.
Thanks for your information. We were thinking of rose Guinée (climbing hybrid tea) or rose Etoile de Hollande (also a climbing hybrid tea) but worried that they might overpower our little arch with the height.

Rambling/Climbing Roses Backhouses Gardening 3 08-03-2009 05:52 PM
Rambling rose Phil[_4_] United Kingdom 7 06-03-2007 04:00 PM
Rambling rose suggestions MikeCT United Kingdom 7 27-11-2006 06:14 PM
Rambling rose Tom Warner United Kingdom 7 27-05-2003 06:08 PM
Climbing/rambling Rose - Which one ? Pip United Kingdom 5 12-04-2003 10:08 PM