Old 29-03-2012, 11:56 PM
Registered User

Location: Essex
Smile Have I done the right thing with my Rose cuttings?...help!

Hi all,
Just want some advise weather I've done the right going.
Last Sunday I bought 3 Rose climbers from my local nursery,they are small cuttings about 6 inches tall.
I soaked the cuttings in water over night after 3 days of buying them and then this morning I potted them.
I got my well matured horse manure and filled 3 pots about half way each and mixed it all well..I then took my usual compost and put that on top of the manure on each pot and mixed all that in too.....I then made 3 deep small holes in each pot and planted in my cuttings then I watered each pot well.
I just want to know if I've done this right and also is it true you should but a plastic bag over cuttings to tap moisture?..I haven't so far.......
Thanks!
Old 17-04-2012, 10:39 AM
Registered User

Location: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torianth View Post
Hi all,
Just want some advise weather I've done the right going.
Last Sunday I bought 3 Rose climbers from my local nursery,they are small cuttings about 6 inches tall.
I soaked the cuttings in water over night after 3 days of buying them and then this morning I potted them.
I got my well matured horse manure and filled 3 pots about half way each and mixed it all well..I then took my usual compost and put that on top of the manure on each pot and mixed all that in too.....I then made 3 deep small holes in each pot and planted in my cuttings then I watered each pot well.
I just want to know if I've done this right and also is it true you should but a plastic bag over cuttings to tap moisture?..I haven't so far.......
Thanks!
Before planting the cuttings, you should always dip the cut end of the tip cutting into a rooting hormone Juicy Roots to encourage rapid rooting. Only the area of the stem which will be under the soil should be treated with rooting hormone Juicy Roots . It takes 4 to 8 weeks for the cutting to root, depending on the weather and the rose variety. Keep the rose cuttings moist at all times, with good air circulation and sunlight. Make slits in the bottom inch of the rose stem to encourage more rooting. I scrape off some of the stem with a knife. Make sure the pots are very clean before using them, especially if you are reusing them. Wash them out with soap and hot water. An automatic dishwasher works well for cleaning small pots.
Fruit Trees
Old 27-04-2012, 08:32 AM
Banned

yeah i agree with allen73....