Old 13-05-2012, 10:18 AM
Registered User

Location: isle of wight
Default Any advice appreciated on rose query.

We bought a bunch of pink roses last Oct from Morrisons and put them in a vase. After about 8 or 9 days we saw that a couple of the roses had started to grow new leaves. I cut off the dead heads, most of the bigger leaves and part of the stem and left them in water. When the new leaves continued growing I transferred then into some John Innes seed compost and after a couple of months into Some Arthur Bowers compost. The two roses are now approx 8 inches tall with a good amount of leaves. As I have never had roses in the garden before and do not know anything about the variety of these roses , I wondered if someone could maybe give advice on the following please:

Would I be better planting them in full or partial sunlight?

Will the new plants flower after being grown this way?

Any Help would be appreciated.
__________________
Garden tool buying advice, maintenance & general tips http://www.gardentoolslist.com
Old 19-05-2012, 03:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Roses can be variable, but most prefer at least 6 hours of sun a day.
They do not like the shade. What you have concern yourself with when
dealing with own-root roses is that they could be mor vulnerable to
diseases (which is why many are grafted).

I would plan them into a container for a couple years and watch. They
are perfectly happy there while still young, and grow and bloom well.
You just have to remember to feed them regularly.

Old 21-05-2012, 03:20 PM
Registered User

Location: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary lacey View Post
[...]

Fruit Trees
Old 24-05-2012, 07:11 AM
Registered User

Location: isle of wight

Thanks for the advice, never thought about the disease aspect.
Garden tool buying advice, maintenance & general tips http://www.gardentoolslist.com