Old 05-02-2013, 05:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default New Rose Garden

Four years ago I planted bare root hybrid teas in a new raised bed. they did well the first year and then the deer found them. I tried everything, and I do mean everything. I have replaced the dead bushes with cheep knock offs from various big box and WalMart stores. All but two of them are dead again. SO this year I am putting an electric fence around the bed. IF this doesn't work there will be grass next year.
What is new with any of you?

MJ
Old 09-02-2013, 01:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

If the deer are hungry enough, they will eat anything. 8 foot deer
fence is your best bet, as they can jump over anything lower.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

wrote:

Four years ago I planted bare root hybrid teas in a new raised bed. they did well the first year and then the deer found them. I tried everything, and I do mean everything. I have replaced the dead bushes with cheep knock offs from various big box and WalMart stores. All but two of them are dead again. SO this year I am putting an electric fence around the bed. IF this doesn't work there will be grass next year.

What is new with any of you?

MJ

one electric wire will do the trick
Old 11-02-2013, 10:15 AM
Registered User

Location: California

Raised garden make easier for a deer to access, fortunately, there are lot of ways to keep the deep away from your garden. Shave a bar of soap and spread the shavings around your garden. You can even plant marigold and lamb's ear in your raised garden. These two plants will keep deer away from your raised bed.
__________________
Fruit Trees
Old 05-03-2013, 07:11 AM
thomaspoul's Avatar
Registered User

Location: USA

This is same happened with me

Old 26-03-2013, 09:59 AM
Eric H.'s Avatar
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen73 View Post
RYou can even plant marigold and lamb's ear in your raised garden. These two plants will keep deer away from your raised bed.
Thanks for the tip, but I wonder why that will keep deer away? Can't they take the specific smell of the plants or what's the secret? Some more information on that would be very much appreciated
Old 29-03-2013, 12:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

--

Eric H.

Nothing is going to keep deer away except an electric fence.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:21 AM
thomaspoul's Avatar
Registered User

Location: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Four years ago I planted bare root hybrid teas in a new raised bed. they did well the first year and then the deer found them. I tried everything, and I do mean everything. I have replaced the dead bushes with cheep knock offs from various big box and WalMart stores. All but two of them are dead again. SO this year I am putting an electric fence around the bed. IF this doesn't work there will be grass next year.
What is new with any of you?

MJ
recently i have also plant some rose plants...let's see new with them.

New year , new place , new garden Terry Coombs Edible Gardening 3 16-04-2013 06:55 PM
New Garden Website needs rose aticles Terry Roses 8 25-02-2004 12:17 PM
New Garden Website needs rose aticles Terry Roses 0 21-02-2004 02:21 PM
new rose garden Jenny Rizzo Gardening 4 08-09-2003 06:42 AM
San Jose Heritage Rose Garden Has a New URL Mel Hulse Roses 0 02-05-2003 06:32 AM