Ugly long stems of roses

Old 20-05-2014, 07:46 PM

Default Ugly long stems of roses

I don't know if this is just my problem but my roses (both standing and climbing ones) love to grow long stems and flower at the end of the stem. These stems shoot away from the bush and sometimes hang down almost to the ground. The whole stems and flowers are quite ugly, as flowers are not nicely embedded in and harmonized with the bush. When I see rose pictures I see no long ugly stems but just flowers beautifully sitting right on the bush. Should I just keep cutting off these long stems? This will mean a lot of cutting and flower loss. Is this how people deal with the problem?

Thanks.
Old 27-10-2014, 05:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

--
jineu21

On Tuesday, May 20, 2014 1:46:26 PM UTC-5, jineu21 wrote:
I don't know if this is just my problem but my roses (both standing and
climbing ones) love to grow long stems and flower at the end of the
stem. These stems shoot away from the bush and sometimes hang down
almost to the ground. The whole stems and flowers are quite ugly, as
flowers are not nicely embedded in and harmonized with the bush. When I
see rose pictures I see no long ugly stems but just flowers beautifully
sitting right on the bush. Should I just keep cutting off these long
stems? This will mean a lot of cutting and flower loss. Is this how
people deal with the problem?

Thanks.

--
jineu21

Hi jineu21,
From your limited description, it sounds like your roses could be infected with rose rosette virus as it causes roses to put on strange new growth and blooms. Here is a link to Missouri Botanical Gardens article on this dreaded rose disease. It has pictures so you can compare to see if that might be the problem with your roses. http://bit.ly/1oQKkPn
Cheryl
www.greenwoodnursery.com
Old 06-05-2015, 09:00 AM

Please let me know if you find a solution to this problem, i've encountered similar problems in the past and started anew.