Roses & Lavender together??

Old 13-07-2016, 12:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
BCD

Default Roses & Lavender together??

On 6/18/2016 1:43 AM, Jac99 wrote:
I keep reading that roses & lavender make good companion plantings...but
do they? I thought roses liked rich, fertile soil and lavender liked
the opposite. Can someone please help. I'm planning my first ever
garden and getting confused.

I'm getting David Austin Olivia Rose (pale pink shrub rose) and will be
underplanting with hardy geraniums. I had intended to mix in a bit of
lavender too, but then decided against it for reasons above and thought
I'd go with Nepeta and Salvia instead to get my hit of lilac/purple &
lavender colours.

***Though I have a line of /Lavandula lanata/ beside several roses, and
they are doing well, it's more that the roses are tolerating the
Lavender conditions than the other way around. If the soil, exposure,
and so on are more the rich, fertile, and often moist conditions in
which roses thrive, your instinct is correct: Go for Nepeta, Salvia,
hardy Geraniums, and the like.

Best Wishes,

--BCD