Old 12-06-2003, 04:32 PM
Shiva

Default Simply Marvelous?

Anyone else groing this? It is by far the smallest and slowest grower
of all my S&W bare roots and I'd like to know if this is typical of it
or if I may have gotten a "challenged" plant.

Of the other "purples:"

Both Barbra Streisand and Blue Nile age when cut to a nice light
purple--no pink in it, not mauve at all, honestly a washed out shade
of purple too deep to be called lavender.

It has been interesting to watch these two side by side in a vase. The
appear nearly identical from bud to the nearly open stage, then as
they open Barbra really shines with more petals and a lovely
high-centered form that unfurls in a spiral. Blue Nile, while really
pretty, does not compare favorably. The most striking difference is in
what is commonly referred to as "substance." This morning Blue Nile's
petals were so floppy and sad I had to check to see if the stem was
getting any water. It was. Barbra Streisand's petals were still ...
well, "turgid" is the first word that comes to mind, though the tone
sounds all wrong.

Just as others have said, BS is apparently a really nice rose for
cutting. The bush is too young to really tell much about.
Old 18-06-2003, 03:08 PM
NANCY

I purchased a bare root also and its a tad slower than the other three but
its been so wet here its hard to judge if its the rose or its environment.
nancy
s.com...

Old 19-06-2003, 04:42 PM
Shiva

NANCY wrote this about Simply Marvelous:

I purchased a bare root also and its a tad slower than the other three
but its been so wet here its hard to judge if its the rose or its
environment.
nancy

Hi Nancy!

Thanks for letting me know. You must be fairly close by. We are soaked
here, too. I am beginning to see some new canker on some of my plants.
Maybe bare roots really can get too much moisture--or perhaps a
combination of that and too little sun can slow them down.

What else did you get bare root?

Old 19-06-2003, 05:44 PM
dave weil

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 11:24:45 -0400 (EDT), "Shiva"
wrote:

NANCY wrote this about Simply Marvelous:

I purchased a bare root also and its a tad slower than the other three
but its been so wet here its hard to judge if its the rose or its
environment.
nancy

Hi Nancy!

Thanks for letting me know. You must be fairly close by. We are soaked
here, too. I am beginning to see some new canker on some of my plants.
Maybe bare roots really can get too much moisture--or perhaps a
combination of that and too little sun can slow them down.

What else did you get bare root?

Did you mound your bare roots?

I was thinking just the other day how one has to be careful "following
instructions" because sometimes you've just got to be flexible (not
saying that this is the case in your case, but I'm curious).

You see, when I bought my Belamis, I did the Edmunds approved mounding
method that I've talked about in the past. Normally, at this time of
the year, it's essential, because it can get so hot and windy at the
same time - two ingredients for disaster with a new bare root.
Usually, it's a good month before you can safely uncover them (and
stuff starts peeking through the mulch).

Well, I got them in the ground when I got back from DC, which would
have been around the 28th of May. Conventional wisdom says, leave them
covered until probably the very end of June or so.

Anyway, about two weeks ago (only a week after planting), some animal
decided to uncover part of one. Since the weather was so rainy and
overcast and predicted to be that way for a few days, I decided to
leave it uncovered (at least the top half). Well, with all of the rain
we've had (not quite as much as you in the past few weeks, I'll
admit), some of the mulch on the other plants needed to be replaced on
the top, but since we've had mostly cloudy days, I took a chance and
started uncovering them a little each day. After about 3 days, I had
them almost completely uncovered. I had at least one or two pretty
good sized stems that were still bleached out a little and I was
afraid that I'd lose them. However, they've gradually darkened and
will probably be OK. I*did* lose a couple of very small growths, but
nothing major. Today is the first day in almost a week where we're
probably going to have more than just peek-a-boo sun, so we'll see if
it's going to cause trouble.

Anyway, I was thinking that with all of the rain you had, you might
have been able to get away with mounding only for a week or two just
to stabilize them, since you've had plenty of mousture and not much
sun. If you didn't mound, then just ignore what I've written chuckle

Well, don't ignore it because I think it's a good reminder that
sometimes we have to take our cues from Mother Nature instead of out
of a book.

Here's a pic of the little babies, only three weeks after planting:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil...miPlanting.jpg

And, here are the dreaded bleached stems:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil...miBleached.jpg

Looks like they're darkening up nicely.

Here's the Don Juan tree planting:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/DonJuan1.jpg

You can see the string that I mounted to the left and that big cane in
the right plant is actually a long cut Aloha fishing pole cane being
used for support.

And finally, speaking of Aloha, here's the cutting again from today,
with a yardstick for reference:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/AlohaCutting1.jpg

I had a hard time getting the whole plant to stay in focus, so I just
gave up...

Old 19-06-2003, 07:56 PM
NANCY

I purchased it along with Grand Prize and Sun Flare which are doing well. I
live in the Cleveland area. I just looked at them today and now have made
remarkable improvement in fact looks like they all are going to bloom soon.
I noticed the bare roots i planted last year (about five in all) came back
wonderfuly except for a little powerdy mildew on Mr. lincoln (which seems to
be standard) everything is doing well. I will however be so happy to see
the sun again. P.S. I did not "mound" them per se but I do know becuase of
our bad winters to make sure they are well protected in the winter.
Nancy

Old 20-06-2003, 04:56 PM
Cass

In article , dave weil
wrote:

Here's a pic of the little babies, only three weeks after planting:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil...miPlanting.jpg

Jeez, Dave, I'd be uncovering them too. They have more than adequate
top growth. I think it's better to start uncovereing when you see 2
inches of growth all around, regardless of the time in the ground,
unless it's really really dry and windy.

And finally, speaking of Aloha, here's the cutting again from today,
with a yardstick for reference:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/AlohaCutting1.jpg

Not ready yet but doing well.
Old 20-06-2003, 11:20 PM
Shiva

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 11:40:49 -0500, dave weil
wrote:

Did you mound your bare roots?

Yes!

Usually, it's a good month before you can safely uncover them (and
stuff starts peeking through the mulch).

Yep. I did not mound with earth as some do, but with pine straw mulch.
I watered at least every other day, and made sure the mulch was
reapplied when it slipped.

Well, I got them in the ground when I got back from DC, which would
have been around the 28th of May. Conventional wisdom says, leave them
covered until probably the very end of June or so.

Wow! I planted mine in March.

Anyway, I was thinking that with all of the rain you had, you might
have been able to get away with mounding only for a week or two just
to stabilize them, since you've had plenty of mousture and not much
sun.

You know, I think my problem is the nasty type of cane borers. I
generally do not pay attention to them and do not seal the holes,
because the not-so-nasty kind just lays its eggs in the end of the
cane and doesn't hurt the rose.. But the dead OTB has BIG holes in all
its canes. And I see them in other bare roots, the canes with holes
being the dead ones.

Here's a pic of the little babies, only three weeks after planting:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil...miPlanting.jpg

And, here are the dreaded bleached stems:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil...miBleached.jpg

Looks like they're darkening up nicely.

Here's the Don Juan tree planting:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/DonJuan1.jpg

You can see the string that I mounted to the left and that big cane in
the right plant is actually a long cut Aloha fishing pole cane being
used for support.

And finally, speaking of Aloha, here's the cutting again from today,
with a yardstick for reference:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ddweil2/AlohaCutting1.jpg

I had a hard time getting the whole plant to stay in focus, so I just
gave up...

Everybody looks great!
Old 25-06-2003, 01:32 AM
NANCY

Here is a look mine is blooming now!
http://www.cartogra.com/servlet/Link...a042ca&size=lg
s.com...

Old 25-06-2003, 02:56 PM
Shiva

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 00:27:56 GMT, "NANCY"
wrote:

Here is a look mine is blooming now!
http://www.cartogra.com/servlet/Link...a042ca&size=lg

Really nice, Nancy! Looks a lot like mine! What else have you got? We
love pics!

ws.com...

Old 25-06-2003, 04:44 PM
NANCY

Thanks I moved a year ago and left behind a very large rose garden so I am
in the process of rebuilding. I will post more pictures when i get them. I
have a real nice Knockout rose that is just going crazy.
Nancy
s.com...
wrote:

Here is a look mine is blooming now!

http://www.cartogra.com/servlet/Link...11c3-60e1-500b

35a042ca&size=lg

Really nice, Nancy! Looks a lot like mine! What else have you got? We
love pics!

ws.com...

Old 21-03-2011, 06:28 PM
Registered User

Thank you for letting me know. You must be very close. We are soaked in here. I began to see some new ulcer disease of some of my plants. Bare root might really be able to get much water - or the combination of sun and too little can slow down.
Pond Supplies

Blooming marvelous David Hill United Kingdom 6 16-12-2013 07:56 PM
Simply Marvelous Shiva Roses 0 15-05-2004 07:13 PM
Simply Marvelous Shiva Roses 0 11-11-2003 06:12 PM
Simply Marvelous Lives! Shiva Roses 10 25-09-2003 08:04 PM
Simply marvelous HCweb Bamboo 0 28-03-2003 06:56 PM