Old 20-06-2003, 06:08 PM
satujinn

Default If you could only plant three rose bushes...

I am landscaping my new home and despite the fact that I have a huge
property, my wife is limiting me to three rose buses. Don't ask.

SO, in S CA, San Fernando Valley area I would like to know what three
bushes you would plant?

My criteria a

Lots of blooms,

Hardy,

All grow to about the same height,

Three different colors.

Your suggestions are appreciated.
Old 21-06-2003, 05:20 AM
Linda

I would plant Double Delight (2 tone), Crimson Bouquet (red) and Medallion
is a real nice Salmon/pink....but limiting to 3 is horrible.......

I am in So. Calif--Redlands--zone 9B or 10 Linda

Old 22-06-2003, 04:56 AM
JTill10610

I am landscaping my new home and despite the fact that I have a huge
property, my wife is limiting me to three rose buses.

Sun Sprite, yellow, fragrant, the best!
Double Delight, Pink/Red, fragrant.
Tiffany, Pink, fragrant.
All about the same size, large. All grow well, with little care,(for a rose!).

Old 23-06-2003, 01:56 PM
torgo

Ouch - I'm hard pressed trying to narrow my own list down to 30 for
when I move in a few years. Three seems outright cruel.

I'd add "nice bushy form" to the criteria, though "lots of blooms"
kind of covers that since you don't want climbers.

If you're wanting a red among the three, an often overlooked one to
consider would be Kentucky Derby. Most of my reds pout in the heat of
summer (Atlanta, zone 7), but both of my Kentucky Derbys are taking
off despite complete neglect over the last month while I've been out
of town for work almost constantly.

If you're into yellows (I'm not), I've heard that Graham Thomas will
grow to Godzilla-like proportions in the California climate. It
certainly gets big elsewhere.

For a pink, my absolute favorite is Brigadoon. I don't know how well
it does in Southern California, but my two were still blooming after
Thanksgiving last year and were going again by Easter this year. Mine
are prone to black spot if I miss a spray cycle, but they seem to
tolerate it well. The blooms are large, pink-white blend with a
moderate tea fragrance. (Alternate pink to consider is First Prize.
Downsides - not fragrant, and in its second year of growth I've had to
stake the canes to support it. On the plus side, it's growing well,
has been trouble free, and the blooms make impressive cut flowers.)

I'm experimenting with quite a few mauve / mauve blends this year, but
none have stood out as being particularly hardy or robust bloomers. I
like them (Intrigue is really growing on me and will probably be among
my 30 when I move) but none of them would make the top three.

Old 23-06-2003, 03:08 PM
Theo Asir

"JTill10610" wrote in message
I am landscaping my new home and despite the fact that I have a huge
property, my wife is limiting me to three rose buses.

Sun Sprite, yellow, fragrant, the best!

Can't beat. very yellow.

Double Delight, Pink/Red, fragrant.

Disease prone, non hardy, balls like crazy,
very inconsistent.

Much better pink is Compassion or even
Prairie Princess.

Tiffany, Pink, fragrant.
All about the same size, large. All grow well, with little care,(for a

rose!).

Best white is Iceberg. Period.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

Old 23-06-2003, 03:56 PM

Thank you all so much for your input. One unexpected side effect is
that i told my wife I was seeking the advice on the internet and one
person thought it "cruel" to limit me to three. Wife relented. YE
HA! I think I can squeeze in up to ten now.

In all fairness, I have also had a large quantity of Citrus planted in
the back yard as well as a huge lawn. I have been allowed almost
everything I want back there as well as a tremendous built in BBQ with
bar seating for ten.

My wife is unhappy with the placement of her Avocado tree and the fact
that I prefer NOT to have an Ficus Benjamina leave the pots for more
permanent homes in my lawn.
--
Like a game of pick up stick played by ****ing lunatics
Old 28-06-2003, 06:44 PM
kljcvlzkj

Garden Party
French Perfume
Blue Ribbon

All are about the same height, give or take a foot, all have reasonably good
fragrance, and all bloom throughout the growing season. Mine are all in the
5 to 6 foot range after three years in the ground...
om...

Old 21-03-2011, 06:25 PM
Registered User

I tried with a lot of purple / mauve mix, but this year is not particularly outstanding sound stubborn or pants. I like them (it is a conspiracy to me more and more likely to be when I was 30 I would like to), but none of them will do the top three.
__________________
Pond Supplies
Old 30-03-2011, 06:01 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by satujinn View Post
I am landscaping my new home and despite the fact that I have a huge
property, my wife is limiting me to three rose buses. Don't ask.

SO, in S CA, San Fernando Valley area I would like to know what three
bushes you would plant?

My criteria a

Lots of blooms,

Hardy,

All grow to about the same height,

Three different colors.

Your suggestions are appreciated.
If I were to plant only three rose bushes, I'd definitely prefer Hybrid Teas. I love Memorial Day, Elle and Love n' Peace.