Old 03-08-2003, 02:32 PM
GamePlayer No. 1058

Default Climber dying

I've got this climber in my yard, climbing along a trellis area and for 2
years now it's done great, this climber is from another rose climber that
use to be in its spot that died, and apparently the root ball must have been
left in the ground so it shot up a new climber, unfortunately it's just a
stock root climber, a Dr. something or other.

In any event it's losing it's leaves in a major way, and I can't see why
this is happening, all my other regular rose bushes are thriving and doing
great, but this one is just dropping leaves. Is this normal for this type
of rose bush, Im sorry I dont know the proper name, but it's a very common
rose used as the root ball for other roses and is very mildew prone.

Thanks for any advise.

Old 03-08-2003, 06:02 PM
Cass

GamePlayer No. 1058 wrote:

I've got this climber in my yard, climbing along a trellis area and for 2
years now it's done great, this climber is from another rose climber that
use to be in its spot that died, and apparently the root ball must have been
left in the ground so it shot up a new climber, unfortunately it's just a
stock root climber, a Dr. something or other.

Dr. Huey

In any event it's losing it's leaves in a major way, and I can't see why
this is happening, all my other regular rose bushes are thriving and doing
great, but this one is just dropping leaves. Is this normal for this type
of rose bush, Im sorry I dont know the proper name, but it's a very common
rose used as the root ball for other roses and is very mildew prone.

Thanks for any advise.

Dr. Huey is subject to blackspot. If it gets really really bad, the
leaves fall off. Don't where you are located, but that is one
possibility. My Dr. Huey suckers all have their accursed leaves. It's
too early for leaf drop in Zone 9.

You've checked on water?

Another possibility is that there is a soil chemistry problem in that
location, bad enough to kill the first climber and still bad enough to
do in Huey.
Old 04-08-2003, 12:02 AM
Unique Too

"GamePlayer No. 1058" writes:

In any event it's losing it's leaves in a major way, and I can't see why
this is happening, all my other regular rose bushes are thriving and doing
great, but this one is just dropping leaves. Is this normal for this type
of rose bush, Im sorry I dont know the proper name, but it's a very common
rose used as the root ball for other roses and is very mildew prone.

That is the way Dr. Huey acted for me in Central Florida. First it mildewed,
then it bloomed. (Beautiful blooms, BTW) As soon as the last bloom faded it
started loosing its leaves until there was nothing but long bare canes with a
leaf or two at the very tip. I didn't let it live through its first summer.
In my climate there are too many good roses to suffer with that one.

Julie
Old 04-08-2003, 01:32 AM
GamePlayer No. 1058

That basically describes my situation, I had a terrible mildew problem with
it early on this year, then beautiful red blooms were everywhere, now that
all the blooms have dried up it's losing most of it's leaves, except at the
tips it seems.

Im going to go to a nursery tomorrow and see what I can find to replace it.
Since Im in the process of trying to sell my home, a bare caned rosebush
right as you walk out my french doors is not a pretty site, I'd rather have
a small imature climber there in it's place or nothing at all.

I may get around to removing it this week or next weekend.

Old 05-08-2003, 07:02 PM
Shiva

GamePlayer No. 1058 wrote:

That basically describes my situation, I had a terrible mildew problem with
it early on this year, then beautiful red blooms were everywhere, now that
all the blooms have dried up it's losing most of it's leaves, except at the
tips it seems.

Psst! Go get a Don Juan! Blooms all year! Smells nice (not strong but rosey)!
GORGEOUS hybrid tea type blooms! Very Vigorous! Ditch the Doctor. You'll be
glad you did.

Old 05-08-2003, 09:02 PM
dave weil

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 13:55:04 -0400 (EDT), "Shiva"
wrote:

GamePlayer No. 1058 wrote:

That basically describes my situation, I had a terrible mildew problem with
it early on this year, then beautiful red blooms were everywhere, now that
all the blooms have dried up it's losing most of it's leaves, except at the
tips it seems.

Psst! Go get a Don Juan! Blooms all year! Smells nice (not strong but rosey)!
GORGEOUS hybrid tea type blooms! Very Vigorous!

Looks like this!

http://www.pbase.com/image/20033564

And this!

http://www.pbase.com/image/20033533

And for the gratuitous riot of color money shots, here's the symbiosis
of zinnias and Desert Peace, as seen this morning:

http://www.pbase.com/image/20033595

Here's a wider view:

http://www.pbase.com/image/20033634

And now, back to one of my favorite current blooms (today at least):

http://www.pbase.com/image/20033644

How about that yellow? For some reason, I like it even better than the
first bloom in the series...

Old 06-08-2003, 03:43 AM
GamePlayer No. 1058

What I would really like is this:

http://www.iphotohost.com/gallery/de...p?image_id=475

in a climber.

Old 06-08-2003, 03:43 AM
GamePlayer No. 1058

After seeing your bushes, some of them anyway, I've got to water more often,
I've been so busy with my life and work that I've let the bushes water
themselves (high ground water in my area), but apparently it's not nearly
enough, that last shot looked so lush, what time of year was it taken? It
looks like mine at the beginning of the blooming season, but now mine just
look I dont know, just eeeeeehhhhh, even though the leaves are dark green,
they are not nearly as lush and glossy as yours.

Thanks for the shots, something to be looking into.

Old 06-08-2003, 03:43 AM
GamePlayer No. 1058

Thanks, Im gonna go ask the nursery if they can get me a don juan, they look
really nice. The Dr was only here because it grew out of the ground on its
own after a 15 or so foot yellow climber died with the tenants in the house,
and they cut it down, so I let it grow not knowing what it really was. Now
it's been more headache than anything else.

Im going to see if they can get me one and if it's okay for my area, if not
I may just get a grapevine, may not look pretty in the winter, but will
offer great protection during the proper season as well as edible fruit.

"Shiva" wrote in message
news:aHlwYXRpYQ==.9b4edb15b1a05eb246f0de8937c39772 @1060106104.cotse.net...

Old 06-08-2003, 04:02 AM
dave weil

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 19:31:52 -0700, "GamePlayer No. 1058"
wrote:

After seeing your bushes, some of them anyway, I've got to water more often,
I've been so busy with my life and work that I've let the bushes water
themselves (high ground water in my area), but apparently it's not nearly
enough, that last shot looked so lush, what time of year was it taken? It
looks like mine at the beginning of the blooming season, but now mine just
look I dont know, just eeeeeehhhhh, even though the leaves are dark green,
they are not nearly as lush and glossy as yours.

All of the shots were taken yesterday.

But don't be fooled. I have some "nekkid" bushes as well (mostly from
black spot though).

Here in Nashville, we've had plenty of water this year. In fact, just
yesterday evening, we had gale force winds and lots of rain for about
30 minutes.

I *do* water at least once a day during the summer. It's probably not
as good as a good deep soaking every few days, but they pretty much
get that anyway (this year at least), considering our weather. Here in
Nashville, it can get pretty hot and dry during June - Sept. but so
far this year, it's just been warm and rainy (generally). We've gotten
some good soaking downpours at least once a week for the most part.
We'll see about August, which tends to be pretty dry. If it turns out
to be dry, I'll just water longer and deeper.

BTW, don't forget that not all leaves are created equal when it comes
to depth of color and glossiness. There's also something to be said
for post-processing of digital images, although, I swear that I
haven't substantially altered the basic "reality" of the images.

One thing I should note - I have great friable soil. I'm just lucky
that way.

Finally, you should have seen those Desert Peaces (yes, there are two
plants) a month ago. They were almost completely bare. So, don't
despair. These things come in cycles.

Thanks for the shots, something to be looking into.

You're welcome.

.. .

Old 06-08-2003, 11:42 PM
dave weil

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 21:50:48 -0500, dave weil
wrote:

And for the gratuitous riot of color money shots, here's the symbiosis
of zinnias and Desert Peace, as seen this morning:

http://www.pbase.com/image/20033595

Here's a wider view:

http://www.pbase.com/image/20033634

And now, back to one of my favorite current blooms (today at least):

http://www.pbase.com/image/20033644

How about that yellow? For some reason, I like it even better than the
first bloom in the series...

Remember this? (see above) Well, here's the same bloom today:

http://www.pbase.com/image/20065418

Unbelievable!

....and here are a few more view of the various blooms on Desert Peace
as seen through the camera's eye this morning:

http://www.pbase.com/image/20065433

http://www.pbase.com/image/20065632

http://www.pbase.com/image/20065684

http://www.pbase.com/image/20065754

http://www.pbase.com/image/20066499

This last one is a bloom ready to be stripped.

I DARE anyone oshow me pictures of Peace or Chicago Peace that display
the vividness of these blooms (hey Mac, ball's in your court - just
kidding actually)

Here's a pic of them all together (or at least most of them). This
shows the diversity of colors better than I could verbally describe:

http://www.pbase.com/image/20073931

Old 11-08-2003, 11:02 AM
CAROL HUTCHINNGS

Don't know your rose - is it an American one. However, if you want to put
another rose in the same spot, put it in a carboard box and plant the lot in
the same spot. By the time the box has disintergrated, you shouldn,t have
any problems re the usual ones of planting in the same spot

Old 06-07-2011, 06:11 PM
Registered User

I am gonna go ask the nursery if they can get me a don juan, they look really nice. The Dr was alone actuality because it grew out of the arena on its own afterwards a 15 or so bottom chicken climber died with the tenants in the house, and they cut it down, so I let it abound not alive what it absolutely was. Now it's been added cephalalgia than annihilation else.
Lights grow

Help: Fish STILL dying (was "fish are dying" JGW Ponds 16 15-06-2004 01:06 AM
Climber that doesn't mind shade or wet soil? Pickle United Kingdom 1 25-05-2003 11:57 AM
Looking for a pretty climber - suggestions? GR United Kingdom 6 16-02-2003 05:35 PM
climber f.poyser United Kingdom 1 27-01-2003 05:00 PM
Is my lewisia dying back or actually dying! Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 2 23-10-2002 06:36 PM