Old 10-08-2003, 02:42 AM
GamePlayer No. 1058

Default cleaning shears

Hmmm. Strange, I just planted a JFK that had no blooms on it when I planted
it. Then within 2 weeks I had 3 blooms, but I neglected to water it as it's
in an odd spot in my yard, then when I started to water it again, it put out
3 more blooms, but again I neglected to water it properly. Now Im back on
track and watering daily, hopefully it will produce 3 more that I can cut
and vase.

"JimS." wrote in message

"Jan Norris" wrote in message
As I read this, I have 2 beautiful JFKs cut in a bud vase in my kitchen.
They are huge and pure white. I'd don't understand the problem with

JFK.
don't get a lot of blooms, but what I get are truly beautiful.

Jan

Well, that's exactly the problem for most people with JFK. Yes, the

blooms
are nice.... IF you can get it to put any out!!! I liked the ones I had
too, but it hardly ever bloomed. The space in my tiny yard is too

valuable
to waste on a rose that's going to put out 2 or 3 blooms tops per year.

Too
bad, cuz it does put out really nice blooms. Just not often enough.

JimS.
Seattle

Old 10-08-2003, 03:12 AM
GamePlayer No. 1058

I've yet to have a problem with dull shovels or hand shovels, and my pruners
get sharpened on a regular basis anyway since it only takes me about 3
minutes to sharpen 2 pruners. I suppose it doesnt matter which method you
do, but I like being able to just shove my shovel or hand shovel or pruners
into a pot of oil soaked sand instead of having to spray them with
something. Just more convienient for my lifestyle.

"J. Del Col" wrote in message
m...
"Anne Lurie" wrote in message

m...
The oil-in-sand tip for keeping garden tools from rusting goes back way
farther than Martha Stewart -- unfortunately, the oil of choice back

then
was used motor oil!

The oil-in-sand "tip" sounds like a good way to dull the blades.

Just coat them with something like Break-Free CLP or WD-40- no rust,
no problem.

For winter storage use plain white lithium grease or automotive
wheel bearing grease. Every auto parts store in the country has both, and

one pound tub will last for years.

J. Del Col

Old 11-08-2003, 04:32 PM
J. Del Col

"GamePlayer No. 1058" wrote in message ...
I've yet to have a problem with dull shovels or hand shovels, and my pruners
get sharpened on a regular basis anyway since it only takes me about 3
minutes to sharpen 2 pruners. I suppose it doesnt matter which method you
do, but I like being able to just shove my shovel or hand shovel or pruners
into a pot of oil soaked sand instead of having to spray them with
something. Just more convienient for my lifestyle.

How do you keep the grit out of the mechanism?

J. Del Col

Old 12-08-2003, 03:32 AM
Anne Lurie

I feel it's my duty to interject here, since I helped this thread along way
past its allotted time.....

I believe that the custom of sticking garden tools in oil-soaked sand
referred primarily to shovels, spades, trowels, hoes, pitchforks, saws
(maybe), etc. -- so there was no mechanism such as would be found on even
the most primitive pruners.

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

m...

Old 06-07-2011, 07:10 PM
Registered User

After I cut aback abundant of my boitritis ridden JFK, I biconcave my pruners into straight bleach, wiped off the balance moisture, and larboard them in the open position in my garage. The next day my pruners were entirely rusted. I don't apperception the aesthetics, about I agnosticism this was actual good for my pruners.
Lights grow