Old 06-08-2003, 07:12 PM
Heidi

Default cleaning shears

Hi,

Does anyone have any recommendations for cleaning pruning shears? After
I cut back much of my boitritis ridden JFK, I dipped my pruners into
straight bleach, wiped off the excess moisture, and left them in the
open position in my garage. The next day my pruners were entirely
rusted. I don't mind the aesthetics, however I doubt this was very good
for my pruners. Maybe it was all in my mind, but I immediately felt as
if they were not as sharp once they rusted.

Should I water down the bleach? Store the pruners inside ( I think the
humidity level in my garage is pretty high--I once tried to store my
gardening gloves in a zip lock bag--the next day they were covered with
mold!).

Thanks for any tips!
Heidi

P.S. The JFK has bounced back and is just starting to produce new
healthy blooms. I first cut back the diseased growth and sprayed
Daconil on what little was left of my plant. The Daconil did not seem
to nip the boitritis in it's spotty bottom, so I then tried HALT. The
HALT did the trick and fast.

Old 06-08-2003, 09:02 PM
Shiva

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 17:02:54 GMT, Heidi wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone have any recommendations for cleaning pruning shears?

I wipe with alcohol.

After
I cut back much of my boitritis ridden JFK, I dipped my pruners into
straight bleach, wiped off the excess moisture, and left them in the
open position in my garage. The next day my pruners were entirely
rusted.

Welcome to the club. I washed mine once and left them to dry in the
dish drainer. Here is what you do: take a soft cloth and apply
vegetable or olive oil, it took the rust right off of my Felcos.

[...

Should I water down the bleach? Store the pruners inside ( I think the
humidity level in my garage is pretty high--I once tried to store my
gardening gloves in a zip lock bag--the next day they were covered with
mold!).

Heidi, it you use bleach, wipe with it, then wipe dry.

Thanks for any tips!
Heidi

P.S. The JFK has bounced back and is just starting to produce new
healthy blooms. I first cut back the diseased growth and sprayed
Daconil on what little was left of my plant. The Daconil did not seem
to nip the boitritis in it's spotty bottom, so I then tried HALT. The
HALT did the trick and fast.

I wish I could believe JFK is worth all the effort. I have never heard
a single good thing abou this rose. But if you love it, then good for
you for babying it. To each our own!

Old 06-08-2003, 10:42 PM
Anne Lurie

I saw a tip that made sense: after dipping tools into or wiping with a
diluted bleach solution or rubbing alcohol, spray the blade(s) with WD40.
After all, the name WD 40 (I think) comes from the fact that it was the
company's 40th formula for a "water displacement" product.

I know what you mean about storing stuff in the garage! Leather gloves are
goners in a hurry -- no longer do I even bother with the goatskin gloves I
used to prefer. We even have to keep sandpaper inside; otherwise, we end up
with sand and paper with no connection to each other!

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 07-08-2003, 04:02 PM
J. Del Col

Heidi wrote in message ...
Hi,

Does anyone have any recommendations for cleaning pruning shears? After
I cut back much of my boitritis ridden JFK, I dipped my pruners into
straight bleach, wiped off the excess moisture, and left them in the
open position in my garage. The next day my pruners were entirely
rusted. I don't mind the aesthetics, however I doubt this was very good
for my pruners. Maybe it was all in my mind, but I immediately felt as
if they were not as sharp once they rusted.

Should I water down the bleach? Store the pruners inside ( I think the
humidity level in my garage is pretty high--I once tried to store my
gardening gloves in a zip lock bag--the next day they were covered with
mold!).

Bleach is bad news for metal; chlorine is a strong oxidizer. Use
denatured alcohol to disinfect them. Then spray them with WD-40,
silicone, or
some other lubricant/protector. Plain old neat's foot oil works well
too.

Turpentine is good for removing sap and plant gum from pruners.

Whatever you do, --don't-- spray them with oven cleaner as some people
suggest. It will seriously damage aluminum handles. Try spraying
some on aluminum foil and see what happens. (do it outdoors)

J. Del Col
Old 07-08-2003, 04:02 PM
J. Del Col

"Anne Lurie" wrote in message r.com...

I know what you mean about storing stuff in the garage! Leather gloves are
goners in a hurry -- no longer do I even bother with the goatskin gloves I
used to prefer.

The best regimen for taking care of used goatskin gloves is to wash
them with pumice based soap (Lava, for example) while you are wearing
them. Then rinse them well. Wring them out--but while they are still
damp, treat them with something like Lexol or Glovolium( a product
used to soften baseball gloves--any sporting goods store should have
it) Finally, place them in the sun to dry. The gloves remain supple
and last a long time.

I've done this for years; no mold yet.

J. Del Col

Old 09-08-2003, 03:34 PM
GamePlayer No. 1058

Take a small planter bin (you know the planter boxes that are round and like
6" round by about 4" deep - I think they are called pots ;-) ) and fill them
with sand, then add some vegetable oil, and mush it around abit so that all
the sand is coated. Then when you are done with your tools, just stick them
in the pot, this will keep them from rusting. If I remember correctly I saw
this on a Martha Stewart show ages ago, and I've yet to have a rusty tool
since. I even use bigger pots to accomodate my shovels too.

Old 09-08-2003, 03:34 PM
GamePlayer No. 1058

Leather is leather in my book, I use the same technique on both my leather
skin gloves as well as my cow skin gloves and both my sets of gloves are
supple. Granted I need to replace my cow skin gloves because I have worn a
whole in a couple fingers (guess that should say how long I've had them now
using this method).

"Unique Too" wrote in message
Does this work on leather also? I've got a pair of suede leather gloves

that I
really like but they have gotten dirty and stiff over the years. Sure

would be
nice to have them clean and supple again.

Old 09-08-2003, 03:34 PM
Anne Lurie

The oil-in-sand tip for keeping garden tools from rusting goes back way
farther than Martha Stewart -- unfortunately, the oil of choice back then
was used motor oil!

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 09-08-2003, 04:02 PM
J. Del Col

"Anne Lurie" wrote in message m...
The oil-in-sand tip for keeping garden tools from rusting goes back way
farther than Martha Stewart -- unfortunately, the oil of choice back then
was used motor oil!

The oil-in-sand "tip" sounds like a good way to dull the blades.

Just coat them with something like Break-Free CLP or WD-40- no rust,
no problem.

For winter storage use plain white lithium grease or automotive
wheel bearing grease. Every auto parts store in the country has both, and a
one pound tub will last for years.

J. Del Col
Old 09-08-2003, 10:42 PM
Jan Norris

As I read this, I have 2 beautiful JFKs cut in a bud vase in my kitchen.
They are huge and pure white. I'd don't understand the problem with JFK. I
don't get a lot of blooms, but what I get are truly beautiful.

Jan

Old 10-08-2003, 01:02 AM
JimS.

"Jan Norris" wrote in message
As I read this, I have 2 beautiful JFKs cut in a bud vase in my kitchen.
They are huge and pure white. I'd don't understand the problem with JFK.

don't get a lot of blooms, but what I get are truly beautiful.

Jan

Well, that's exactly the problem for most people with JFK. Yes, the blooms
are nice.... IF you can get it to put any out!!! I liked the ones I had
too, but it hardly ever bloomed. The space in my tiny yard is too valuable
to waste on a rose that's going to put out 2 or 3 blooms tops per year. Too
bad, cuz it does put out really nice blooms. Just not often enough.

JimS.
Seattle