Old 21-11-2003, 04:32 AM
Kirra

Default mislabelled roses was New photos online

"Daniel Hanna" wrote in message
home.com.au...
For you northern hemisphere types... I've been busy in the garden with
the digital camera this month. After all I promised Shiva and others
some new photos.

Check out the 'November 2003' and '2003 trials' pages on my website:

http://www.rosesaustralia.com
(yes I bought the site a new domain name for its 1st birthday :-)

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

I like the changes you have made to the web site. I was just reading about
the sorry state of your "Blue Moon" being a brandy colour. It made me smile
(in sympathy of course).

I had the same problem with Perfect Moment this season. It took longer to
flower than most of the others. I was waiting for the buds to get bigger,
when they finally did arrive, and looking out for splashes of bright colour
in between the opening sepals. However, the colour peeking out behind the
opening sepals was very pale.

Not to worry I thought, maybe it is because it has been overcast for the
last week ... maybe it needs sunlight to make the edges go red. But no, the
next time I went to the garden there was a very pale pink, frilly rose
looking out at me. The last thing the garden needs is *another* pink rose
(how we ended with so many when we all like bright colours I'll never know).
Given the number of pale pink roses in commerce out there, I'm not confident
that we'll ever find out what it really is.

Kirra
Brisbane, Australia

Old 21-11-2003, 11:42 AM
Daniel Hanna

In Kirra wrote:
The last thing the garden needs is another pink rose
(how we ended with so many when we all like bright colours I'll never
know). Given the number of pale pink roses in commerce out there, I'm
not confident that we'll ever find out what it really is.

Well, there are more pinks than any other colour of rose, so unless it
has some distinct fragrance I doubt you'd ever find out.

It was the same when I bought my current house back in 97. They had 4
rose bushes there, without labels. Two were superb, so I kept them. By
observing other bushes with labels and doing a lot of research (
including smelling them!) I worked out that the bushes were Chrysler
Imperial and Elina.

This latest buff/yellow rose is a mystery. It's a nice strong bush with
thick stems, and the blooms are long lasting and quartered (almost
square) when fully open. Stuffed full of petals. One moderately
fragrant bloom per stem.

The infuriating thing is that I'd be tempted to keep it if only I knew
what it was! Does the above description ring any bells out there?

Online Flower Photos Starlord Gardening 2 08-04-2005 04:32 AM
Photos from the Pacific Orchid Expo 2005 are online Eric Hunt Orchids 0 28-02-2005 04:33 AM
New photos online Daniel Hanna Roses 5 01-12-2003 02:02 AM
Botanical gardens photos (Was Rachel Corrie- PA staged photos) Hane Edible Gardening 0 25-03-2003 03:32 PM
New photos of species orchids online! Eric Hunt Orchids 1 28-01-2003 04:17 PM