Old 30-01-2003, 07:48 PM
Radika Kesavan

Default Sunsprite Fragrant, Yellow rose recommendation

Kirra wrote:
"Radika Kesavan" wrote in message

Sunsprite *is* fragrant, ....

I agree with Radika that Sunsprite is fragrant. It was the first rose I
bought before I knew anything about roses and I bought it because of the
fragrance. You know, the rose that smells so nice that you just have to keep
putting it up to your nose so that you can smell it yet again

An added bonus is that I find my two, I like it so much I bought another, do
not get any black spot despite living in a humid climate, overhead watering
three times a week and living next to Double Delight who does get black
spot.

Kirra
Brisbane, Australia
Z10

Very interesting, Kirra, that the Sunsprite available to you in Brisbane
carries fragrant blossoms.

I am sort of guessing that there are two verions of Sunsprite being
offered in the U. S., one fragrant and the other not, based on all
realiable rose people at different places in the U. S. reoporting two
sets of experiences.

Believe it or not, the same seems to be true of the experience of
finding fragrance in the other rose you mentioned - Double Delight.
Roughly equal number of people in an unscientific survey across the U.
S. seem to think that this rose is heavily fragrant and not at all fragrant.

It is also interesting to hear about the lack of blackspot on Sunsprite
in your garden. Brisbane has a sub-tropical climate, does it not?

--
Radika
California

Old 30-01-2003, 10:32 PM
Bob Bauer

Radika said:

I am sort of guessing that there are two verions of Sunsprite being
offered in the U. S., one fragrant and the other not, based on all
realiable rose people at different places in the U. S. reoporting two
sets of experiences.

My 'Sunsprite' is of the non fragrant persuasion. I have sniffed
this rose hundreds of times in all stages of blooming and only once in
a while do I get a sniff of perfume. Mostly nothing. Never strong.
I was beginning to suspect that I had a defective sniffer, but I have
had many other people sniff it to no avail as well.

I am beginning to wonder if there are certain clone lines that have
sported to a version that is not fragrant.

My 'Double Delight' on the other hand, is extremely fragrant at all
stages of bloom. It is one of only 5 or so roses that I grow that I
can predictably have people smell and know that they will not be
disappointed.

Bob Bauer
Zone 6 in Salt Lake City
http://www.rose-roses.com/

Old 30-01-2003, 11:04 PM
Suzanne in CA

Kirra wrote:
[...]

Hi!
Another fragrant yellow rose suggestion is Arthur Bell. My husband and
I researched the yellow roses at Vintage Gardens in Sebastopol, CA,
and have been thrilled with Arthur Bell. Once a year, around Mother's
Day, the owners open their private rose garden to the public, which is
when we did our research. The entire garden was abloom with all
shapes, size, colors, and fragrances, all name tagged, so we were able
to easily choose which we preferred.
Hope it helps!
We too have Sunsprite, and while it is not as fragrant as Arthur Bell,
it's shocking yellow color and ruffly blooms are a show stopper. I
tried St. Patrick as my 3rd yellow rose, and was excited by its
greenish hued blooms in the very hot weather, but the fragrance was
pretty much nothing. I am still keeping an eye out for another yellow
fragrant rose to add to my already full garden : )
Check out Arthur Bell - He's a keeper!
Suzanne
Old 30-01-2003, 11:07 PM
Shiva

Radika Kesavan wrote:

Z10

I am sort of guessing that there are two verions of Sunsprite being
offered in the U. S., one fragrant and the other not, based on all
realiable rose people at different places in the U. S. reoporting two
sets of experiences.

I have to add that my Sunsprite absolutely REEKS! Strongest fragrance in
my garden outside the Austins. Actually beats Mr. Lincoln. (So nice the
fact that it shatters quickly matters not.) Here's the kicker--it is a
Home Depot rose. My theory is that this is such a great rose, even the
chopped roots and poor retail treatment could not squelch its vigor. I
want to order several more Sunsprites, this time from a reputable
mailorder nursery.

Old 31-01-2003, 01:56 AM
Radika Kesavan

Shiva wrote:

I have to add that my Sunsprite absolutely REEKS! Strongest fragrance in
my garden outside the Austins. Actually beats Mr. Lincoln. (So nice the
fact that it shatters quickly matters not.) Here's the kicker--it is a
Home Depot rose. My theory is that this is such a great rose, even the
chopped roots and poor retail treatment could not squelch its vigor. I
want to order several more Sunsprites, this time from a reputable
mailorder nursery.

I would recommend Ashdown, as I found their service and the quality of
their plants to be excellent, but this was two years ago. I am not sure
how they have done since then.

--
Radika
California

Old 31-01-2003, 02:16 AM
Radika Kesavan

Suzanne in CA wrote:

Hi! Another fragrant yellow rose suggestion is Arthur Bell. My
husband and I researched the yellow roses at Vintage Gardens in
Sebastopol, CA, and have been thrilled with Arthur Bell. Once a year,
around Mother's Day, the owners open their private rose garden to the
public, which is when we did our research. The entire garden was
abloom with all shapes, size, colors, and fragrances, all name
tagged, so we were able to easily choose which we preferred.

Hello, Suzanne. That sounds like a delightful experience.

A friend of mine has Arthur Bell in his garden here, he got it because
of something to do with him being an appreciator of whisky g, and yes,
AB is a very nice rose.

We too have Sunsprite, and while it is not as fragrant as Arthur
Bell, it's shocking yellow color and ruffly blooms are a show
stopper.

Heh, shocking yellow is good for those of us who like our yellows all
the way from soft to shocking. Context is everything.

I tried St. Patrick as my 3rd yellow rose, and was excited by its
greenish hued blooms in the very hot weather, but the fragrance was
pretty much nothing.

I see. I have not been able to get any scent from the St. Patrick in the
San Jose Heritage Rose Garden. If you live in the SF Bay area, you might
visit the garden in spring and check out any rose that you are
considering buying - they may not have EVERY ROSE under the sun, but at
approximately 5000 roses with 4000+ varieties, it is an incredible rose
museum. Here is their web site:

http://www.randomaccesssolutions.com/sjhrg/SJHRG.htm

I am still keeping an eye out for another yellow
fragrant rose to add to my already full garden : )

What else do you grow and how many roses do you have in all?

If you are looking for a softer yellow rose with fragrance, Lady
Hillingdon is fabulous. I like the yellowness and the fragrance of
Toulouse Lautrec as well.

--
Radika
California

Old 31-01-2003, 03:05 AM
Kirra

Very interesting, Kirra, that the Sunsprite available to you in Brisbane
carries fragrant blossoms.

Actually, I should have mentioned that Sunsprite is sold as Friesia here in
Australia. I got one of my Sunsprites from a hardware store and the other
from a local nursery and they are both very fragrant.

I am sort of guessing that there are two verions of Sunsprite being
offered in the U. S., one fragrant and the other not, based on all
realiable rose people at different places in the U. S. reoporting two
sets of experiences.

I like the yellow but I do not think I would have bought Sunsprite if it did
not have fragrance. As I said I did not know anything about roses when I
first bought it but I just had to have that smell.

Believe it or not, the same seems to be true of the experience of
finding fragrance in the other rose you mentioned - Double Delight.
Roughly equal number of people in an unscientific survey across the U.
S. seem to think that this rose is heavily fragrant and not at all

fragrant.

I love the fragrance on Double Delight as well. The two Sunsprites and the
Double Delight grace the front of the house near the front door. My friends
are now aware that I have become obsessed with roses since we bought our
house last year and I make them smell Sunsprite and Double Delight whenever
they come over

It is also interesting to hear about the lack of blackspot on Sunsprite
in your garden. Brisbane has a sub-tropical climate, does it not?

Yes, Brisbane is sub-tropical. We have a lot of problems with black spot
here however we are experiencing drought at the moment. Good for the black
spot, bad for the farmers and water catchments.

I had my first Sunsprite in a pot for about six months before I planted it
in June last year. It was right next to Eric the Red and four micro minis
(also in pots). They became completely denuded from black spot and yet my
Sunsprite did not get a single spot (and still has not). I have now dealt
with the others because everytime it threatens to rain I bring Eric the Red,
the four minis and about 5 other bs prone minature roses in pots into my
laundry. The things we do :-)

Kirra
Brisbane, Australia
Z10

Old 31-01-2003, 02:13 PM
James Delahanty

I would recommend Ashdown, as I found their service and the quality of
their plants to be excellent, but this was two years ago. I am not

sure
how they have done since then.

Actually, Ashdown had some glitches in the first year and a half of
operation. But since Kathy Edberg has taken on the role
of manager of operations, the process seems to have smoothed out
considerably.

JD

Old 02-02-2003, 06:27 AM
FOW

I'm in Zone ? 50 miles North of San Francisco, think zone 13, Sunset.
Sunsprite AND Double Delight are fragrant here.Double Delight I can smell a
100 feet away if wind blowing right ! A little heat makes em go nuts, Lot's
o water and not over 90 for too long.