Old 09-03-2004, 01:54 PM
Sunflower

Default You're invited to my new Yahoo Group, "Fragrant Miniature Roses"

"Dan Gannon" wrote in message
om...
Hi Philip,

I understand.

As it stands, it's very difficult to identify all of the
fragrant miniatures. Many of them appear "lost" in the sea of other
varieties, some may have slipped into obscurity, some are only
mentioned in particular forums or publications, etc. I think a
thorough search and record of these varieties is essential.

So, you're identifying these fragrant minis through literature and
hybridizers descriptions?

How many of them do you *personally* grow and have *personal* experience
with to judge that they are fragrant?

And, what type of standard are you using to judge the strength of that
fragrance? My standard for a HT would be Fragrant Cloud, for a noisette,
Blush Noisette, for a polyantha Perle d'Or, etc. My standard for a fragrant
mini would be Sweet Chariot, which although nicely scented, isn't what I'd
call terribly strongly scented. It's also probably one of the best as far as
BS resistance goes, but that is such a joke that you couldn't compare it to,
say a china at all and come out looking good.

Old 09-03-2004, 07:55 PM
Susan H. Simko

Sunflower wrote:

How many times can you discuss the same dozen roses? Bor-ing.

Miniatures are overwhelmingly scentless, mostly because most breeders have
focused on the same high centered "exhibition" style form that wins shows
and not on growing good garden roses that can fill in around a mailbox and
that are worth bending over to sniff. Ralph Moore and now Paul Barden are
the only exceptions that come to mind in even trying something interesting
and non cookie cutter. If you could come up with a list of even two dozen
that you could smell at all, I'd be very surprised. Don't even get me
started on disease resistance, which is a total joke also.

I have four miniatures along my front walkway into my house. All four
are fragrant and I have actually had lees problems with disease with
them than I have had with any on my HT (also all fragrant).

Last year was an extremely miserable year for roses here in cental NC.
At times I thought I should actually be trying to make my entire yard a
bog garden and should give up on everything else. However, when my HTs
were dropping leaves from BS, my minis kept on growing and blooming.
Granted, they aren't as fragrant as my Double Delights but then again I
wouldn't expect a rose about 1/8 the size to have the incredible scent
of a DD, for instance.

BTW, Dan, thanks for the invite but I just can't join any mailing lists
at this time. My problem is that I simly do not have the time to be
involved with any more lists than I already am. With newsgroups, I can
drop in and out as I desire and don't quite feel the obligation to
contribute that I do with mailing lists.

Susan
shsimko[@]duke[.]edu

Old 09-03-2004, 09:49 PM
farmgal

I agree with Snooze...While I am interested in minis, particularly fragrant
ones, lists are a pain. Of my 130 roses, minis comprise only about 10, but
would be happy to discuss them within this forum. Although, as the weather
gets nicer, I am too busy playing outside (smelling my fragrant roses)to
have much time for discussion, except for specific problems.
Definitely wish you success, and hope you will post here some of your more
fragrant finds.

farmgal

---

Old 09-03-2004, 10:33 PM
Marshall Dermer

In article dave weil
writes:
How do you prevent the various fungus infections without using
some awful fungicide that is meant to be used outdoors?

I'd also have to ask how long this success has been achieved.

Yes!

I have a hard time envisioning a long life for a miniature rose
indoors in a typical apartment without a *serious* array of apparati.
And that's hardly: "How else can one easily keep a
rose - which *smells* like a rose should - as a houseplant, or keep
quite a few of them on a porch or patio"?

I'm skeptical about the "easy" claim regarding keeping miniatures in
"an apartment or condo". I can certainly see keeping them on a porch
or patio, but inside?

I've tried. Right now my two minature roses are suffering from a fungal
infection. However, I sprayed them last week with some Ortho Fungicide
and I will patiently wait as they shed their "bad" leaves for a new
set of leaves. Then, unless I can find good advice, I shall plant
them outdoors.

Hell, orchids are a lot easier and they still need a lot of help in
most homes (lights, pebble trays, humidifiers, fans, etc.). We aren't
talking about pothos after all...

I have no trouble with my three orchid plants.

Now bringing a potted mini in for a night or two to act as a
centerpiece on a table I can see...

Me too, but I would like to learn how I might be able to do
better with minature roses.

--Marshall

Old 10-03-2004, 08:29 PM
Shiva

farmgal wrote:

I agree with Snooze...While I am interested in minis, particularly fragrant
ones, lists are a pain.

They are more for the little private club type groups for whom discussion
is a major social event. The types who want to have yearly "virtual rose
society" meetings with t-shirts and crap like that. This group was like that
a few years ago, but is now shaping up into a decent open forum.

Of my 130 roses, minis comprise only about 10, but
would be happy to discuss them within this forum.

Please do! I am interested in minis, they are the next frontier for me.

Old 10-03-2004, 08:33 PM
Shiva

Susan H. Simko wrote:

I have four miniatures along my front walkway into my house. All four
are fragrant and I have actually had lees problems with disease with
them than I have had with any on my HT (also all fragrant).

Last year was an extremely miserable year for roses here in cental NC.
At times I thought I should actually be trying to make my entire yard a
bog garden and should give up on everything else. However, when my HTs
were dropping leaves from BS, my minis kept on growing and blooming.
Granted, they aren't as fragrant as my Double Delights but then again I
wouldn't expect a rose about 1/8 the size to have the incredible scent
of a DD, for instance.

Know what, Susan? My AUSTINS were the ones that held up to the
pestilence last year. And nearly all of them are on their own roots,
as are minis. Coincidence? I think not!

BTW, Dan, thanks for the invite but I just can't join any mailing lists
at this time. My problem is that I simly do not have the time to be
involved with any more lists than I already am. With newsgroups, I can
drop in and out as I desire and don't quite feel the obligation to
contribute that I do with mailing lists.

Well we're glad you drop in when you do, Susan. What do you have
planned re new roses this year?