Old 15-03-2004, 10:47 PM
dave weil

Default You're invited to my new Yahoo Group, "Fragrant Miniature Roses"

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 16:13:33 -0500, "Susan H. Simko"
wrote:

I'm planning on putting in one more and am hemming an hawing between
Desest Peace and Barbra Streisand. I just can't make up my mind on
this!

DESERT PEACE! DESERT PEACE!

For here's what you're going to miss if you don't get it:

http://www.pbase.com/image/20033644

And this:

http://www.pbase.com/image/20033595

And this:

http://www.pbase.com/image/20065754

In fact, just go to this page:

http://www.pbase.com/teleburst/roses&page=4

Yes, DP does have a tendency to blackspot a bit. But the incredible
variation of coloration, the long lasting blooms and prolific blooming
more than makes up for it.

Old 18-03-2004, 04:40 AM
Dan Gannon

Sunflower,

Thanks for the info.

Dan
Old 18-03-2004, 04:56 AM
Dan Gannon

Sunflower,

Thanks for the info.

Dan
Old 21-03-2004, 03:03 AM
Shiva

Susan H. Simko wrote:

Shiva wrote:

Know what, Susan? My AUSTINS were the ones that held up to the
pestilence last year. And nearly all of them are on their own roots,
as are minis. Coincidence? I think not!

I'm still amazed at the die off you had last year. I may have lost
leaves to blackspot but thankfully no plants.

I need your secret. Tell me this, did you put in any
bare roots? And, how do you keep the voles from eating
your roots? I know the best way is to not have anywhere
for them to hide, but I like mulch and do not have time
to keep the non-rose areas tidy, so they love my yard.
This year I'm hopeful because it appears that the moles
are back. Since the voles use the old tunnels of moles,
maybe this means no voles this year??

Just put in a J&P Heirloom over the weekend. It's protection and
headstone for our little Smokey the Hamster who died of old age at two +
over the weekend.

Purple, isn't it? And scented, IIRC.

I'm planning on putting in one more and am hemming an hawing between
Desest Peace and Barbra Streisand. I just can't make up my mind on
this! *laugh* Part of me just wants to order both

You DO need both. Barbara squeezed out several blooms before
she expired (one of the bare root casualties last summer)
and they were wonderful. Scent!! Strong scent!! Desert Peace
is lovely, too. I just had such a bad experience with the
original Peace, I'm afraid of all offshoots.

but I really don't
know *where* I would put the second one. My partner has forbidden any
more flower beds in the yard

Oh, nooooo, this will not do!

and I tend to agree with the thought at the
moment. The Heirloom and which ever one I decide upon are each being
put between two bushes at the back corners of our yard. I can't
completely wall off the back with roses as I have blue bird houses that
need periodic cleaning and bird feeders that need to be fed and I have
no desire to don a coat of armor to get through the thorns to get to
them. *grin*

I think we need a diagram of your yard with plantings
(including g-g-g grass) identified. Only fellow rose
heads can really tell if you have enough roses. :')

Old 23-03-2004, 09:29 PM
Susan H. Simko

Shiva wrote:

I need your secret. Tell me this, did you put in any
bare roots? And, how do you keep the voles from eating
your roots? I know the best way is to not have anywhere
for them to hide, but I like mulch and do not have time
to keep the non-rose areas tidy, so they love my yard.
This year I'm hopeful because it appears that the moles
are back. Since the voles use the old tunnels of moles,
maybe this means no voles this year??

I put in one bare root last year. All the rest were potted in one way
or another. What I mean by that is that a couple were el cheapo rescues
from Walmart, others were beautifully potted from vendors and then the
tiny pots with my miniatures.

I also (knocking on my head since that's the closest substitute to wood
I have) haven't had a problem with voles. I also haven't done anything
to stop them. I don't use mulch is the only thing I can add since I'm
lazy and I don't really like the looks of it. Also, almost all my roses
have companion plants of one sore or another at their feet.

Purple, isn't it? And scented, IIRC.

That's the claim on Heirloom. *grin*

You DO need both. Barbara squeezed out several blooms before
she expired (one of the bare root casualties last summer)
and they were wonderful. Scent!! Strong scent!! Desert Peace
is lovely, too. I just had such a bad experience with the
original Peace, I'm afraid of all offshoots.

You're the one responsible for me wanting Barbra Streisand. I just
haven't got a chance to go down to Witherspoons to pick one up. I'm not
sure if I'm going to be able to find a local Desert Peace. If not, I've
got a list of a few others that I'm also willing to put in: Perfect
Moment, Bella Roma, and Sheila's Perfume. I'm not as fussy about colour
(though white does nothing for me) as I am about perfume. I also want
something that I can cut for in the house.

I think we need a diagram of your yard with plantings
(including g-g-g grass) identified. Only fellow rose
heads can really tell if you have enough roses. :')

*grin* I keep telling my partner that I'm simply minimizing the amount
of grass that needs to be cut. After all, I take care of the beds and
my partner mows the lawn so am I not doing my partner a favour?

OTH, right now we're at around 20 roses, strawberries, a peach tree, 8
blueberry bushes, several butterfly bushes, ornamental pond with plants
and fish, a lily bed (alstroemeria, star gazer, candy, etc. along with
freesia) and lots of other various flowers all on 1/4 acre. *laugh*
Next house will have *more* property. I started my list for the realtor
within six months of moving into this house. *grin* (FYI, this house
was only planned for a couple of years.)

Susan
shsimko[@]duke[.]edu

Old 25-03-2004, 09:32 PM
Shiva

Susan H. Simko wrote:

Shiva wrote:

I need your secret. Tell me this, did you put in any
bare roots? And, how do you keep the voles from eating
your roots? I know the best way is to not have anywhere
for them to hide, but I like mulch and do not have time
to keep the non-rose areas tidy, so they love my yard.
This year I'm hopeful because it appears that the moles
are back. Since the voles use the old tunnels of moles,
maybe this means no voles this year??

I put in one bare root last year. All the rest were potted in one way
or another. What I mean by that is that a couple were el cheapo rescues
from Walmart, others were beautifully potted from vendors and then the
tiny pots with my miniatures.

Did your bare root do as well as your potted roses?

I also (knocking on my head since that's the closest substitute to wood
I have) haven't had a problem with voles. I also haven't done anything
to stop them. I don't use mulch is the only thing I can add since I'm
lazy and I don't really like the looks of it. Also, almost all my roses
have companion plants of one sore or another at their feet.

I am so torn. Currently, even if I had the time to clean up all the
oak leaves etc. that keep the yards "vole friendly" and planted
companion plants, the little pluckers would probably eat the
roots of the companion plants. And I DON'T have time to do this.
They killed my cherry tree, a dog wood, and several roses
last year. I have tried everything, including traps, poison,
and permatil. The latter worked until they must have gotten
calluses on their little feet so it doesn't hurt to dig in
the Permatil. Bahsssstahds! Meanwhile, my use of the
Deadly Orthenex for the past five years is supposed to kill
off everything with a pulse in my garden, according to the
no-spray folks. I wish it would just take out the voles and
moles and leave the birds. *Sigh*

Purple, isn't it? And scented, IIRC.

That's the claim on Heirloom. *grin*

We want updates. I might need this one.

You're the one responsible for me wanting Barbra Streisand. I just
haven't got a chance to go down to Witherspoons to pick one up.

Ooo, the short term memory is the first thing to go!

I'm not
sure if I'm going to be able to find a local Desert Peace. If not, I've
got a list of a few others that I'm also willing to put in: Perfect
Moment, Bella Roma, and Sheila's Perfume. I'm not as fussy about colour
(though white does nothing for me) as I am about perfume. I also want
something that I can cut for in the house.

I REALLY WANT Bella Roma. I really love SP, but mine is very
stingy, so be prepared. When she squeezes one off it is to
die for, though. Still worth it.

I think we need a diagram of your yard with plantings
(including g-g-g grass) identified. Only fellow rose
heads can really tell if you have enough roses. :')

*grin* I keep telling my partner that I'm simply minimizing the amount
of grass that needs to be cut. After all, I take care of the beds and
my partner mows the lawn so am I not doing my partner a favour?

This is an excellent approach.

OTH, right now we're at around 20 roses,

Oh, puleeze! We don't need no steenkeen
diagram to know that this is not
NEARLY enough!!

What are you thinking?

:')

Old 29-03-2004, 07:34 PM
Susan H. Simko

Shiva wrote:

Did your bare root do as well as your potted roses?

Actually, my bare root did much better than the potted ones. The bare
root is a Double Delight and I actually decided I wanted another so I
bought a potted one. The bare root is doing much better than it's once
potted sibling.

I am so torn. Currently, even if I had the time to clean up all the
oak leaves etc. that keep the yards "vole friendly" and planted
companion plants, the little pluckers would probably eat the
roots of the companion plants. And I DON'T have time to do this.
They killed my cherry tree, a dog wood, and several roses
last year. I have tried everything, including traps, poison,
and permatil. The latter worked until they must have gotten
calluses on their little feet so it doesn't hurt to dig in
the Permatil. Bahsssstahds! Meanwhile, my use of the
Deadly Orthenex for the past five years is supposed to kill
off everything with a pulse in my garden, according to the
no-spray folks. I wish it would just take out the voles and
moles and leave the birds. *Sigh*

I just wonder what the difference is? It may be because I live on the
edge of a dense woods (we have owls and turkeys nesting in the woods)
and perhaps they can get easier meals elsewhere? The other possibility
is the squirrels have put up "enter at your own risk" signs....

We want updates. I might need this one.

Hopefully, I can leave work early one day this week and run down to
Witherspoons to pick an Heirloom up.

I REALLY WANT Bella Roma. I really love SP, but mine is very
stingy, so be prepared. When she squeezes one off it is to
die for, though. Still worth it.

Hmmmm. I have little tolerence or patience for stingy bushes. THis
might not be a good match for me.

Oh, puleeze! We don't need no steenkeen
diagram to know that this is not
NEARLY enough!!

Yeah but I'm trying to find motivation to do it anyway! I'm thinking it
may be useful to the next owner of our house. I want to put together a
notebook of what's what and how to maintain it. It's all really pretty
easy which is why I want to do it. I also want them to know what's wher
e as that was a headache when we bought the house. I've done a lot of
landscaping, putting in beds, bulbs, plants, etc. (Loving the bulbs
right now, BTW, the grape hyacinths are coming up and are contrasting
beautifully with the double yellow tuplips.) Since bulbs tend to be a
once a year phenomena, I think it would be nice for someone to know they
are there and what to expect.

One of these days... *sigh* RIght now the body is craving fresh herbs
for cooking. I put in a bunch of seeds last week but then broke down
and bought some halfway decent looking basic basil (cinnamon and sweet
genovese), fennel and parsley plants at Lowes over the weekend. GIve me
something to stave off the pangs until the seeds start to put out.

Susan
shsimko[@]duke[.]edu
Old 03-02-2011, 04:45 PM
Registered User

I have set up a mini-greenhouse spray system is very low cost. If you work well, I will share the details mini Muscat Group. If it does not work, I will modify it of course.
Pond Supplies