Old 25-03-2004, 09:50 AM
torgo

Default J&P on Fortuniana root stock

If in doubt, assume it's Dr. Huey. That's the main one the mass
distributors use. If you're buying from a small independent grower,
just ask. They might even be able to use/order multiple root stocks
or do own-root upon request.

Dr. Huey does acceptably well in most parts of the country, which
makes it the primary choice for Weeks, J&P, etc. Fortuniana does
exceptionally well in very hot climates, which is why the Florida
growers use it.

If you prefer Multiflora, check out Ashdown Roses. If you need
Fortuniana, thus far Muncy's is the only place I know that does mail
order. (Nelson's is planning on adding internet orders soon.) For
own root, check out Sequoia, Roses Unlimited, Ashdown, etc (too many
other small growers to name them all.)

And if Dr. Huey is right for your location, congratulations! They're
everywhere, and they're cheaper than Fortuniana. Try Wayside Gardens,
S&W Greenhouse, or even your local Wal-Mart.

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 01:33:38 GMT, Dick Zielinski
wrote:

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 11:20:03 -0700, "Tim Tompkins"
wrote:

Growers usually choose their root stock based upon the soil conditions in
their area.

snip

Ok, that sounds like a real plus. But how can I know what soil
condition a particular rose or rootstock is intended for. And how does
one know what rootstock is being used... unlike fruit trees,I've never
seen it listed.

Dick

Old 26-03-2004, 06:50 AM
Mark. Gooley

"torgo" wrote:
I just returned from a work trip to central Florida. On the
way home, I stopped by several nurseries and garden
centers searching for roses from Nelson's, which uses
Fortuniana root stock.

One place I visited had J&P roses that were identified
as Fortuniana root stock in addition to the ones from
Nelson's. I was curious, since I had never seen or heard
that J&P used Fortuniana before. The manager explained
that the J&P roses distributed in Florida came from
a Florida based grower / supplier.

Almost certainly. It's a very Florida thing.

Dr. Malcolm Manners uses Fortuniana rootstock when he
grafts roses. He's at Florida Southern U. in Lakeland. You
get that far south in Florida, and nematodes become a major
problem. Heck, even some soils here in the north of the
peninsula are way infested. Fortuniana seems to have
tolerance for nematodes sufficient to keep the plant alive.

Interestingly, the only found rose I know of from peninsular
Florida is known as "Alachua Red" and was found in this
county (Alachua County, big surprise). We're sort of in
nematode country, sort of not. Nematodes don't like clay
in the soil, nor a lot of organic matter. Mulching with wood
chips (not a rot-resist wood like bald-cypress, either) and
letting them rot into the soil is supposed to help.

I have a lot of cheapo roses on Dr. Huey here, but most are
still in pots. I plan to take cuttings of all of them in case the
rootstock succumbs once they are in actual Floridian dirt
rather than a soil-less mix based on Canadian sphagnum.
I buy a lot of own-root roses but those discount-store Dr.
Huey ones are so damned tempting...and disappointing at times,
I must admit. A few I bought early this year are already dead,
despite being potted up rather than just stuck in the ground.

Mark.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:47 PM
Registered User

J and P does not produce all the roses bear the name of their label, which is very There may be a 'contract growers in the use of fortuniania to Floridia Sales and distribution in the southeast.
Pond Supplies