Old 07-12-2004, 02:56 AM
Naomi

Default The most sweet-scented roses

I have planted five roses in the garden in the last few years. The
five are "Bridal pink", "Julia", "Intrigue", "Peace" and "Eau de
toilette".I really like these roses, because their shapes are great.

But there are some problems. Almost none of them has any scent! :-(
For example, the shape and color of the famous Julia rose is
brilliant, but as you know, it has scarcely a fragrance at all!

I'd love to enjoy not only their splendid shapes but also their
wonderful aromas.
So let me know which ones are fine to plant in my garden.

For reference, I tell you about the ones I'm thinking seriously about
planting is "Cardinal du Richelieu" and "Juno".
Old 07-12-2004, 04:34 AM
Brian Rice

Naomi wrote:

I'd love to enjoy not only their splendid shapes but also their
wonderful aromas.
So let me know which ones are fine to plant in my garden.

If it's scent you want and you have the space, try the OGR 'Celsiana'.

--
- brian rice

"There are lies, damn lies, and focus groups." -Mark Twain
Old 07-12-2004, 05:44 PM
Charles Perry

Naomi wrote:

... I'd love to enjoy not only their splendid shapes but also their
wonderful aromas.
So let me know which ones are fine to plant in my garden.

It would be helpful if you would include your geographic
location. Some of the nicest roses don't do well out of their
preferred areas. Also, what do you consider a "splendid shape"
Do you know there are more than a dozen roses with the name
"Julia" and three with the name "Juno?"

...I'm thinking seriously about planting is "Cardinal du Richelieu" and "Juno".

Cardinal Richelieu is a once blooming Gallica that does well most
places that have winter. It grows well here in MN. It has nice
very full "quartered" flowers that smell good. It is a kind of
purple that ages to what some call burgundy. Lots of people like
it, I think the aged bloom looks bruised. If you are interested
in once blooming Gallicas, look at Charles Mills. CM blooms open
close to red and it also blues as it ages, but in an attractive
way to my eye. The form is very double, cupped with a flat top
to the flower.

The Alba Rose, Queen of Denmark, has a nice old garden rose form
with a great smell. It is a very pretty pink, very double. The
Albas are also once blooming and hardy in the north.

I don't know any of the roses called Juno.

Regards,

Charles

--
Charles Perry
Reply to:

** A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand **
Old 15-12-2004, 12:04 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi

I'd love to enjoy not only their splendid shapes but also their
wonderful aromas.
So let me know which ones are fine to plant in my garden..
Rose " Constance Spry" ...classic shape...repeat flowering...best scent...nuff said !
Old 01-02-2005, 02:10 AM
Henry

Eyebright wrote:
Naomi Wrote:

I'd love to enjoy not only their splendid shapes but also their
wonderful aromas.

Rose " Constance Spry" ...classic shape...repeat flowering...best
scent...nuff said !

I know I'm way-late joining this thread but Constance Spry is really a
once bloomer.

--
Henry

Old 01-02-2005, 11:25 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry
Constance Spry is really a
once bloomer.

--
Henry
well no-one has told mine henry..admittedly it took about 4 years to being repeating
Old 03-02-2005, 01:41 PM
Dennis

Henry You're digging it round, when it aughta
Be SQUARE

Eyebright wrote:
Naomi Wrote:

I'd love to enjoy not only their splendid shapes but also their
wonderful aromas.

Rose " Constance Spry" ...classic shape...repeat flowering...best
scent...nuff said !

I know I'm way-late joining this thread but Constance Spry is really a
once bloomer.

My wife loves a fragrant cloud...

----
"I'd rather take a hit in the mouth than throw a pick," Kyle Orton
"education is the progressive discovery of our own ignorance" --Will Durant
"people who read the tabloids deserve to be lied to " Jerry Seinfeld
"If we don't have a sense of humor, we can't have a sense of perspective --Wayne Thiboux
"the glass is not only half full the first half was delicious" -- Me
To Reply: Scrape off the end bits...
Old 04-02-2005, 08:08 AM
Martin

We know of it as "Turkey Red"

Regards

Martin Double
Bexrose - Webmaster

Email:
Web Site:
http://home.btconnect.com/cadoss/bexrose

"Shiva" wrote in message
news:aHlwYXRpYQ==.abd8c000f2c87fcbca3c13f41538facd @1107470905.nulluser.com...

Eyebright wrote:
Naomi Wrote:

I'd love to enjoy not only their splendid shapes but also their
wonderful aromas.

Rose " Constance Spry" ...classic shape...repeat flowering...best
scent...nuff said !

I know I'm way-late joining this thread but Constance Spry is really a
once bloomer.

My wife loves a fragrant cloud...

That is a great rose for those of us who love classic hybrid tea blooms,
with high centers and a strong fragrance. I have never quite fallen
in love with the color, though. It is very unusual, and I can't find
accurate words to describe it. It isn't red, it sure isn't pink, and
it's not orange either. I want to say deep salmon but I've never seen
a fish that color! Regardless, the scent is strong and lovely. Your
wife has great taste!

----

Old 04-02-2005, 06:25 PM
Susan H. Simko

Dennis wrote:

My wife loves a fragrant cloud...

My favourite scented rose is my double delight roses. Not only do they
smell magnificent but they are beautiful to watch as they turn from
white with red edges to red. *smile*

--
Susan
shsimko[at]duke[dot]edu
Old 11-02-2005, 03:45 PM
melitie

"Susan H. Simko" wrote in message ...
Dennis wrote:

My wife loves a fragrant cloud...

My favourite scented rose is my double delight roses. Not only do they
smell magnificent but they are beautiful to watch as they turn from
white with red edges to red. *smile*

Hello from Greece,
among my roses (over 200 for the time being) my favourite scented
roses are "DOUBLE DELIGHT HT" (Susan's favourite too), "FRAGRANT CLOUD
HT" (I agree with Dennis's wife", and also "PRESIDENT HERBERT HOOVER
(CL), "PINK PEACE HT" (by Meilland).
I'm waiting this spring to see some new fragrant rose plants, like
"RADOX BOUQUET" (a famous scented Floribunda by Harkness).

Regards to all, as this is the first time I'm writting, though I read
all posts here from all friends-rose lovers.
Melitie

Old 12-02-2005, 10:28 PM
Burt Smith

Susan H. Simko wrote:
Dennis wrote:

My wife loves a fragrant cloud...

My favourite scented rose is my double delight roses. Not only do they
smell magnificent but they are beautiful to watch as they turn from
white with red edges to red. *smile*

My sentiments exactly. My 15 yr old Double Delight is a joy every year.

Burt
Old 13-02-2005, 10:28 AM
Martin

I will second those opinions.

I have a soft spot for Fragrant Cloud, I remember my wife's Grandmother
tended just this one bush of Fragrant Cloud in a garden of about 200 roses
tended by my Farther-In-Law. The Fragrant Cloud bush out shone all others in
size, flower bearing and fragrance, but then gran was feeding it three times
a day with scraps from the kitchen: tea leaves and egg shells.

I also have a fondness for my Namesake -Double Delight.

Another exceptionally fragrant rose is the English Rose named Gertrude
Jekyll which I grow on a south facing fence near to my patio. The perfume is
magic!

Regards

Martin Double
Bexrose - Webmaster

Email:
Web Site:
http://home.btconnect.com/cadoss/bexrose

"Burt Smith" wrote in message
. com...

Old 14-02-2005, 01:56 AM
Gail Futoran

om...
Dennis wrote:

My wife loves a fragrant cloud...

My favourite scented rose is my double delight roses. Not only do they
smell magnificent but they are beautiful to watch as they turn from
white with red edges to red. *smile*

Hello from Greece,
among my roses (over 200 for the time being) my favourite scented
roses are "DOUBLE DELIGHT HT" (Susan's favourite too), "FRAGRANT CLOUD
HT" (I agree with Dennis's wife", and also "PRESIDENT HERBERT HOOVER
(CL), "PINK PEACE HT" (by Meilland).
I'm waiting this spring to see some new fragrant rose plants, like
"RADOX BOUQUET" (a famous scented Floribunda by Harkness).

Regards to all, as this is the first time I'm writting, though I read
all posts here from all friends-rose lovers.
Melitie

Hi Melitie and Welcome!

I don't have any of the roses you list above but
I've heard of most of them.

My favorite scented roses are Angel Face, Moon
Shadow, Scentimental, Lavender Lassie.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8 USA

Old 25-05-2011, 07:30 PM
Registered User

Cardinal Richelieu is a already blooming Gallica that does able-bodied most places that accept winter. It grows able-bodied actuality in MN. It has nice very abounding "quartered" flowers that that appears to smell good. It is a affectionate of purple that ages to what some alarm burgundy. Lots of humans like it, I anticipate the age-old blossom looks bruised. If you are interested in already blooming Gallicas, attending at Charles Mills.
Discount Grow Lights
Old 02-06-2011, 09:18 AM
joshua19's Avatar
Registered User

I’ve heard that double delight rose has a great fragrance it will be perfect flower to your garden.