Old 26-01-2005, 08:46 PM

Default A good rose for a beginner

Hello-
Could anyone recommend a good rose to purchace for a beginner rose
gardener? Not new to gardening, but just new to roses. I live in zone
7. The space where i want to plant the rose is in full sunlight,
however it is under a leafy tree. So there is some shade. Any info
appreciated!

Billy Duncan
www.indoorfarmsupply.com

Old 27-01-2005, 05:21 PM
Charles Perry

" wrote:

...Could anyone recommend a good rose to purchace for a beginner rose
gardener?...

Probably about the best advice is to find one growing locally
that you like and get a plant of that variety for yourself.
Perhaps a local rose grower could help with advice on plants that
do what you wish in your area.

That said, a Good plant to start with is the Buck shrub rose
"Carefree Beauty" It grows well in most parts of the country, is
a prolific producer of pretty pink flowers, and stands up well to
most of the common rose diseases.

If you just wanted a rose to provide a spot of color in the
landscape, the rose "knockout " can be a good choice. The
individual flowers are single or semi double and not much to look
at. However, it is in almost constant bloom and provides a lot
of color. It is available in pink, blush and the original fushia
tinged red. It is also very resistant to most rose diseases.

The better that you can define and prioritize your requirements
for a rose, the better you will be able to narrow down the
selections from the vast number of roses available. The problem
is that as roses are selected for one characteristic, they tend
to fall down in another. For example, the roses that look so
nice on a show table often produce very few total flowers that
don't have much perfume and grow on plants that require extensive
care.

Regards,

Charles

--
Charles Perry
Reply to:

** A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand **
Old 27-01-2005, 10:06 PM
Rogerx

Billy, there must be thousands of recommendations. Depending on who
you ask , and what their favorite rose is. The advice Charles gave
you is good, and since I too live in zone 7, I will tell you my
opinion.

I have 20 roses, most of them are Tea roses. My favorite rose seems
to change from time to time, but always coming back to "Don Juan". I
have two of them. From mid summer until frost, they just erupt with
huge (4"to5") Scarlet red blooms. This is not a repeat bloomer but a
continuous bloomer. In the heat of the day you can walk within 20' of
them and smell the rich rose aroma. They are climbers, and if you
don't support them the large blooms will bend the canes to the ground.
I have mine on a fence.

I only have one rose that is not in full sun. It is 9 years old and
seems quite content in the partial shade. During the summer it gets
about 7 hours of full to partial sun. It is a favorite of most: "Mr
Lincoln". Oh, and sometimes it is my favorite too..

Now, you can select some lesser varieties (my opinion) that are
disease and insect resistant. Some that you don't even have to spray.
But I like to select my roses for beauty and aroma , and if they
possess these other traits great. If you take this attitude, you
must have a spray program.

In our area our biggest disease problem is Black Spots and it can be
controlled. I spray ever 7 to 10 days with Fung-guard (not sure about
the spelling) with a teaspoon of Malathion per gallon(for the
insects). At any sign of black spots I selectively spray with
Manzate.

I know that some of the more educated rose lovers are shaking their
head no, but every one has their opinion, and this is mine.

Good luck and enjoy Rogerx

Old 28-01-2005, 02:03 PM
Gail Futoran

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello-
Could anyone recommend a good rose to purchace for a beginner rose
gardener? Not new to gardening, but just new to roses. I live in zone
7. The space where i want to plant the rose is in full sunlight,
however it is under a leafy tree. So there is some shade. Any info
appreciated!

Billy Duncan
www.indoorfarmsupply.com

"Queen Elizabeth" is generally considered a good
beginning rose.

It was planted along with about 15 other roses in the
rose bed that came with the house (10 years ago). It's
the only one I didn't manage to kill off until I learned
enough about roses to plant my own beds.

It's a pink grandiflora. I don't know about shade, but
if it gets at least 6 hours of sun per day it should be
ok.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 28-01-2005, 06:26 PM
Tom Line

Don Juan is great. Grows thick and fast. It's a medium heigh climber with
medium size buds, lots of buds. It's very spectacular in July.

wrote:
: Hello-
: Could anyone recommend a good rose to purchace for a beginner rose
: gardener? Not new to gardening, but just new to roses. I live in zone
: 7. The space where i want to plant the rose is in full sunlight,
: however it is under a leafy tree. So there is some shade. Any info
: appreciated!
:
: Billy Duncan
:
www.indoorfarmsupply.com
:

--

Tom Line

Old 29-01-2005, 02:37 AM
Rogerx

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 15:40:55 -0500 (EST), "Shiva"
wrote:

"Rogerx" wrote in message ...
Billy, there must be thousands of recommendations. Depending on who
you ask , and what their favorite rose is. The advice Charles gave
you is good, and since I too live in zone 7, I will tell you my
opinion.

I have 20 roses, most of them are Tea roses.

Roger, tea roses and hybrid tea roses are two very different
classes. I think you mean that you grow mostly hybrid teas.

You are right of course, I should pay more attention. Thanks

y favorite rose seems
to change from time to time, but always coming back to "Don Juan". I
have two of them. From mid summer until frost, they just erupt with
huge (4"to5") Scarlet red blooms. This is not a repeat bloomer but a
continuous bloomer. In the heat of the day you can walk within 20' of
them and smell the rich rose aroma. They are climbers, and if you
don't support them the large blooms will bend the canes to the ground.
I have mine on a fence.

I am also in Zone 7 and right you are about Don Juan!! It is my favorite
rose, and behaves just as you describe.

I only have one rose that is not in full sun. It is 9 years old and
seems quite content in the partial shade. During the summer it gets
about 7 hours of full to partial sun. It is a favorite of most: "Mr
Lincoln". Oh, and sometimes it is my favorite too..

Also an excellent rose, but it does get very tall in full sun. Mine
was all of 12 feet tall by its fourth year in the ground.

Mine is quite tall also, about 7 or 8 ft. What I did was graft an Ice
Berg at about 6 ft. The Ice Berg really likes the Mr Lincoln wood and
it is a real eye catcher when Mr Lincoln flushes.(the red and white
contrast).

Now, you can select some lesser varieties (my opinion) that are
disease and insect resistant. Some that you don't even have to spray.
But I like to select my roses for beauty and aroma , and if they
possess these other traits great. If you take this attitude, you
must have a spray program.

I agree with you here. I also love the classic, many-petaled,
high-centerd hybrid tea blooms. It will be fun to compare notes
with another Zone 7 person! I am in Raleigh, NC and have around
eighty plants in the ground.

Love your city, been to the State Archives many times.

Old 29-01-2005, 02:56 AM
scratchy

Belinda's Dream is a great choice for a first rose. It's easy to grow,
very disease resistant and impressive in full bloom. The blooms are
big, deep pink and perfectly shaped like a hybrid tea, but the plant is
much more like a shrub, with a full rounded shape and the foliage is
nicer.

Buff Beauty would be nice under the tree. It just gets bigger and
better each year and it's ridiculously easy to grow, particularly as a
large shrub. It would be least bothered by the shade you mentioned. It
has large full blooms of a soft apricot color. It's also a very heavy
bloomer once it's established. The one I have here suddenly became a
different plant it's third year and was quite a sight. I've ordered a
few more.

I really like Don Juan, too. The blooms are almost black velvet at
times and for such a large red bloom, it's very disease resistant and
repeats well throughout the hot summer here. It also starts blooming
well at an early age for a climber. The second year in my garden, I
pinched a lot of buds and still had a good display. The repeat improved
the third year. All of these have a nice fragrance in my garden.
scratchy
SCTX(near Austin) Zone 8

Old 30-01-2005, 04:52 PM
dave weil

On 28 Jan 2005 18:56:36 -0800, "scratchy"
wrote:

[...]

Hmmmm, that's another person who thinks that Don Juan gets sort of a
black velevet. I wonder if it's a matter of soil or if it's just a
normal variation to the one that Shiva has. I doubt it's climate,
because I'd imagine that my climate is actually slightly cooler than
her's and Austin is certainly a hotter, drier environment that both of
us.
Old 30-01-2005, 06:32 PM
Rogerx

wrote:

[...]

Good point Dave, I can only speculate . Do you think ones
description might be relative. By that I mean; Only a few feet away
from my two Don Juans, I have an Oklahoma, which sometime is almost
black.(depending on what stage of bloom it is in).- - -Rogerx

Old 30-01-2005, 10:43 PM
scratchy

I'm not 100% sure, but I think I remember that my Don Juan came from
Chamblees. The black velvet look seems more prevalent in fall for some
reason. Which makes me think "cooler", but then it doesn't seem to
apply in Spring. It's in a very narrow bed along the front walkway and
against a brick wall growing on a trellis. Extra heat from the wall
maybe? The wall faces south, but has some shade in the morning from the
house.

Old 25-05-2011, 07:31 PM
Registered User

The bigger that you can ascertain and accent your requirements for a rose, the bigger you will be able to attenuated down the selections from the all-inclusive amount of roses available. The problem is that as roses are called for one characteristic, they tend to abatement down in another.
Discount Grow Lights
Old 24-06-2011, 07:34 AM
Luis77's Avatar
Registered User

Knockout roses are the best for beginners, I started to plant roses with that, it’s the perfect one for beginners.