Old 17-02-2005, 11:35 PM
JimS.

Default burying the bud union?

Is it bad to bury the bud union in a non-harsh-winter climate? Our winters
here in Seattle are pretty mild so I'm not concerned about the freezing--
which is why most people bury beneath the bud union.

I have a couple of plants that just won't seem to sprout basel breaks. I
wondered if covering the bud union, and thus keeping it softer, might
encourage these plants to sprout more breaks from there?

In the past I've heard it mentioned it could cause the union to rot. Anyone
w/ experience in this? Would it work? thanks

JimS.
Seattle

Old 18-02-2005, 12:20 AM
Gail Futoran

"JimS." wrote in message
Is it bad to bury the bud union in a non-harsh-winter climate? Our
winters here in Seattle are pretty mild so I'm not concerned about the
freezing-- which is why most people bury beneath the bud union.

I have a couple of plants that just won't seem to sprout basel breaks. I
wondered if covering the bud union, and thus keeping it softer, might
encourage these plants to sprout more breaks from there?

In the past I've heard it mentioned it could cause the union to rot.
Anyone w/ experience in this? Would it work? thanks

JimS.
Seattle

In mild areas, burying the bud union encourages
reversion - growth from below the bud union.
The root stock is always more rigorous than
what's above (called scion, IIRC), so if you give
root stock a start, you'll lose your (desired) rose.

To encourage basel breaks you can:
-add some epsom salts in the spring with your
first feeding
-scrape older gray bark off the bud union
with a file or knife. (Don't overdo.)

I googled "basel breaks roses" and here's one
link I found:
http://www.kerncountyrosesociety.com/EpsomSalts.htm
There were others.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8 USA

Old 18-02-2005, 01:38 AM
JimS.

"Gail Futoran" wrote in message
"JimS." wrote in message
[...]

Thanks...I will try that. (and now go uncover the bud union on the one I
already buried before I wondered if it was OK to do it...!)

JimS.

Old 18-02-2005, 09:03 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimS.
Is it bad to bury the bud union in a non-harsh-winter climate? Our winters
here in Seattle are pretty mild so I'm not concerned about the freezing--
which is why most people bury beneath the bud union.

I have a couple of plants that just won't seem to sprout basel breaks. I
wondered if covering the bud union, and thus keeping it softer, might
encourage these plants to sprout more breaks from there?

In the past I've heard it mentioned it could cause the union to rot. Anyone
w/ experience in this? Would it work? thanks

JimS.
Seattle
i've always buried the union and not encountered problems...the most likely cause of rootstock shoots emerging is physical damage caused when initially planting especially when firming in ... if the base of the scion wood is below soil level then subsequent pruning of a stem to ground level will produce scion wood emerging from the soil surface...such wood will probably make roots of its own...(not sure thats desirable) but just as importantly the whole plant will have a more attractive appearance.

its pruning old wood low down above dormant buds that stimulates new basal growth more than initial planting position ...in my humble opinion.
Old 25-05-2011, 07:27 PM
Registered User

In balmy areas, burying the bud abutment encourages reversion - advance from beneath the bud union. The basis banal is consistently added accurate than what's aloft (called scion, IIRC), so if you give root banal a start, you'll lose your (desired) rose.
Discount Grow Lights

Burying liverwort to kill it andy stone United Kingdom 5 19-05-2013 10:21 AM
New canes from the bud union newday369 Roses 1 30-03-2005 01:44 AM
burying the bud union? JimS. Roses 0 17-02-2005 11:35 PM
burying the bud union? JimS. Roses 0 17-02-2005 11:35 PM
Government denies burying GM report (PA News and Independent) Marcus Williamson sci.agriculture 4 26-04-2003 12:29 PM