Old 22-04-2006, 12:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
colleen

Default Can I replant roses when not dormant?

Hello all,
I am a new to roses and coule really use some help. I have had one
rose bush for a year, and this year planted 20 more. Some of the new
rose bushes that I planted roughly a month ago (were bare root roses)
are lower in the ground than I would like them to be.

From what I have found, it sounds like the best time to dig up and

replant roses is when they are dormant. However, since these roses
have been in the ground for only a month, would it be better to move
them now (before the roots are well established), or to wait until they
are dormant? They currently have leaves, but no buds just yet. The
temp where I am (TN) is about 70's for the high right now.

I would really appreciate any advice please.

Thank you

Old 22-04-2006, 01:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

"colleen" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello all,
I am a new to roses and coule really use some help. I have had one
rose bush for a year, and this year planted 20 more.

Congratulations! Sounds like you've been bitten
by the rose bug.

Some of the new
rose bushes that I planted roughly a month ago (were bare root roses)
are lower in the ground than I would like them to be.

How much lower? I try to plant mine at the same
height, but some end up lower, and some higher,
all in the same bed. It might or might not be a
problem. If it's just an aesthetic concern, I'd
personally leave them until they do dormant
next winter. If it's a health concern - health of
the bush - then you might not have a choice but
to move (raise?) them now.

From what I have found, it sounds like the best time to dig up and
replant roses is when they are dormant. However, since these roses
have been in the ground for only a month, would it be better to move
them now (before the roots are well established), or to wait until they
are dormant? They currently have leaves, but no buds just yet. The
temp where I am (TN) is about 70's for the high right now.

Leaves but no blooms? Just want to clarify.
If they're just getting over the shock of being
planted, I wonder if it's a good idea to shock
them again so soon.

I would really appreciate any advice please.

Thank you

Let us know what you decide and how that
works. It's a learning process for all of us.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 23-04-2006, 07:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Joshua Peri

I tend to think that it is best to be patient and wait for the proper season
to do things. One month in the ground is long enough for the plant to have
established enough roots to make the replanting traumatic. I once did this
to some roses one week after they were planted.
How much of a perfectionist are you, or how badly were they planted? Unless
the graft is well under ground level, I would advise that replanting is not
important. I know of poorly planted roses that grow well.
Joshua Peri
"colleen" ???
groups.com...
Hello all,
I am a new to roses and coule really use some help. I have had one
rose bush for a year, and this year planted 20 more. Some of the new
rose bushes that I planted roughly a month ago (were bare root roses)
are lower in the ground than I would like them to be.

From what I have found, it sounds like the best time to dig up and

Old 23-04-2006, 10:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
dave weil

On 21 Apr 2006 16:07:58 -0700, "colleen"
wrote:

Hello all,
I am a new to roses and coule really use some help. I have had one
rose bush for a year, and this year planted 20 more. Some of the new
rose bushes that I planted roughly a month ago (were bare root roses)
are lower in the ground than I would like them to be.

From what I have found, it sounds like the best time to dig up and

replant roses is when they are dormant. However, since these roses
have been in the ground for only a month, would it be better to move
them now (before the roots are well established), or to wait until they
are dormant? They currently have leaves, but no buds just yet. The
temp where I am (TN) is about 70's for the high right now.

I would really appreciate any advice please.

Thank you

I'm not sure what you mean by "lower in the ground than you would
like", but my suggestion is just to leave them alone for the time
being.They're actually recovering from transplant shock and you don't
really want to subject them to that again so soon if you can help it.
You WANT the roots to get well-established, even if you're going to
move them later. By disrupting them now, you run the very real chance
to sabotaging their future well-being.

Having said that though, roses are fairly tough little buggers, so if
you WERE to replant them, you'd want to take as large of a root ball
as humanly possible to avoid damaging any roots. And you'd still have
that problem of them being "lower in the ground", if I understand your
meaning, which I'm still not quite sure I do. If you think you've
planted them too deep, you can always carefully pull back some of the
soil, but be careful not to nick any canes, especially around ground
level.

It would be helpful if you told us a little about the plants
themselves. Were they bare-root plants or potted? Are they grafted or
own-root (the former has a little fist-shaped mass of wood dividing
the canes from the roots)? And what kind of roses are we talking
about. Perhaps you could elaborate on what you're talking about. I
suspect that you have grafted roses that you are afraid that you've
planted with the graft too deep. Is that your worry? If so, it's not
bad if they're just below the surface. If they're more than 2 inches
below the soil surface, then you can do what I suggested and roll back
a little of the soil using a small garden trowel. When you get close
to the graft itself, you could take a stiff brush and brush away some
of the soil. Take the excess soil and build a little dam all the way
around the plant (a collar, if you will). This will help collect
moisture.
Old 24-04-2006, 12:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
colleen

Thank you all so much for your advice. To answer some of the questions
about these roses, here goes. The roses were bare root, grafted, all
hybrid teas.

Dave- you did understand what I was trying to say about planting them
too low in the ground. It wasn't until a week or so after planting
them that I noticed a few of them kind of dipped down in the ground
where I had planted the graft a bit too low. And we also have
increased our garden bed size, so I would like to even the plants out
in the new area.

The plants that are a bit too low are not doing as well as the others,
but are still OK. At this point in time, the move would be more for
aesthetic purposes because I am a perfectionist. I didn't know if it
would be better to move them now b/c they haven't been in the ground
for too long, or if it would be better to wait until they go dormant in
the fall.

You all have provided very helpful information- thank you so much!! I
am just going to have to be patient and wait until fall because I would
hate to hurt them just beacuse I am so picky.

So based on this decision to wait, I have another question for you all.
Should I move them in the fall (after they are no longer in bloom), or
should I move them in early spring before they start to show new
growth?

Thank you all again so much for the very helpful feedback!!!!

-Colleen

Old 24-04-2006, 11:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

"colleen" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I agree with Dave's advice to leave them where they
are for now.

You all have provided very helpful information- thank you so much!! I
am just going to have to be patient and wait until fall because I would
hate to hurt them just beacuse I am so picky.

So based on this decision to wait, I have another question for you all.
Should I move them in the fall (after they are no longer in bloom), or
should I move them in early spring before they start to show new
growth?

Thank you all again so much for the very helpful feedback!!!!

-Colleen

My recommendation would be to move them in
the fall after growth has slowed way down.
Water well until the roots have had a chance to
re-establish.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8