Old 10-04-2004, 08:04 PM
Michael Volow

Default Help!! 2nd request!! Shrub roses, how to prune?

We have 2-3 groups of shrub roses. (Not sure of the exact variety. Flowers
are usually about 3cm diameter). They look healthy but the branches have
gotten very full. How do I prune/thin out these bushes.

When should I do this. I have no experience with other roses.

Thanks in advance.

Mike Volow

Old 10-04-2004, 08:33 PM
Anne Lurie

Mike,

Googling for "pruning shrub roses" brought up lots of websites, including
these:

http://www.rosebuddies.com/prun_shrub.html

http://doityourself.com/flowers/pruneroses.htm

http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/roses/p...dernshrub.html

Or you could try posting your request to the rec.gardens.roses newsgroup (in
which case, you should mention where you live, since that group is
international).

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

Old 11-04-2004, 05:03 AM
Michael Volow

Anne,

Thanks for the suggestions. The sites were very helpful.

m...

Old 13-04-2004, 12:40 AM
Penny Morgan

Cut out the middle branches that are crossing other branches. Leave about
4-5 main canes that go straight up and out. This creates more air
circulation in the middle of the bush to thwart off diseases such as black
spot. You can also cut back the main stems about half way down to promote
more branching on them. You can do this anytime now. Some people do it in
late fall, but I think it's safer in spring because there is less chance of
ice getting into the cut stems which may kill or damage the bush. Put some
Rose Tone fertilizer around the base of the bush too. Just follow the
directions.

Penny