Old 20-12-2004, 04:25 AM
Eric G

Default Methylated spirits/alcohol

Several have advised that I use 'meths' to conquer my mealybug
problem.

My local hardware store had methyl hydrate rather than methylated
alcohol. What is the difference? Can methyl hydrate be used in this
case?

Thanks

Eric
Old 20-12-2004, 08:02 AM
Franz Heymann

"Eric G" wrote in message
Several have advised that I use 'meths' to conquer my mealybug
problem.

My local hardware store had methyl hydrate rather than methylated
alcohol. What is the difference? Can methyl hydrate be used in this
case?

Try your chemist for methylated spirits.

Franz

Old 20-12-2004, 09:15 AM
Peter

Eric G wrote in news:sbhcs09d6nmptp9ujbgpf0vfaelm5c3f95@
4ax.com:

Several have advised that I use 'meths' to conquer my mealybug
problem.

My local hardware store had methyl hydrate rather than methylated
alcohol. What is the difference? Can methyl hydrate be used in this
case?

Thanks

Eric

Methyl hydrate is not the same as meths. It is sold as a paint stripper,
but otherwise its more usual name is wood spirit or methanol. It's pretty
nasty stuff and I don't think it will do your plants much good.

"Meths", on the other hand, is 95% pure ethanol (grain spirit), to which
chemicals have been added to make it unpalatable, to avoid tax on booze -
that is why meths, which would otherwise be taxed at twice the rate of
vodka, is so cheap. The main additive is methanol, hence the name
"methylated" sprirt.

Hope this helps,

Peter
Old 20-12-2004, 09:58 AM
anton

"Eric G" wrote in message
Several have advised that I use 'meths' to conquer my mealybug
problem.

My local hardware store had methyl hydrate rather than methylated
alcohol. What is the difference? Can methyl hydrate be used in this
case?

Methylated alcohol, methylated spirit, meths, are mainly ethanol (the
alcohol in alcoholic drinks) with a small proportion of methanol (the
alcohol that can make you go blind), and often a bit of dye to colour it and
something that tastes bitter to discourage you even further from drinking
it.

Methyl hydrate, which isn't sold under that name in this country afaik,
seems from a quick google to be pure methanol.

Try not to breathe in an excess dose of either, especially the methyl
hydrate.

I would guess that either will be instant death for bugs of all
descriptions, and I'd also guess that using either of them neat you might
have a problem with scorching the foliage. Does the advice for mealybugs
involve watering the alcohol down with water before use?

--
Anton

Old 20-12-2004, 07:21 PM
Rod

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 08:58:39 +0000 (UTC), "anton"
wrote:

I would guess that either will be instant death for bugs of all
descriptions, and I'd also guess that using either of them neat you might
have a problem with scorching the foliage. Does the advice for mealybugs
involve watering the alcohol down with water before use?

When I had a severe problem with mealy bug I found that alcohol of any
kind is a very efficient way of killing Streptocarpus, following from
that I would say if anyone had any other Gesneriads, to do a small
scale trial before treating wholesale with meths or whatever alcohol
you choose.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.

Old 20-12-2004, 08:50 PM
Pam Moore

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 18:21:16 +0000, Rod
wrote:

When I had a severe problem with mealy bug I found that alcohol of any
kind is a very efficient way of killing Streptocarpus, following from
that I would say if anyone had any other Gesneriads, to do a small
scale trial before treating wholesale with meths or whatever alcohol
you choose.

I found that the Ultimate Bug Killer spray was also a good way of
killing Streptocarpus. I asked at the Dibleys stand at the next show
when I bought a replacement plant, and the chap said they use the
Provado granules mix to treat their plants. Don't know if it works on
mealy bugs, but I did have a few on other plants, and there's no sign
of them now. (as far as I can see, which is not as much as most of you
can!) It comes to something when gardening friends come visiting, and
I ask them to check my houseplants for bugs!

Pam in Bristol
Old 21-12-2004, 01:18 AM
Eric G

On 20 Dec 2004 08:15:42 GMT, Peter wrote:
Methyl hydrate is not the same as meths. It is sold as a paint stripper,
but otherwise its more usual name is wood spirit or methanol. It's pretty
nasty stuff and I don't think it will do your plants much good.

"Meths", on the other hand, is 95% pure ethanol (grain spirit), to which
chemicals have been added to make it unpalatable, to avoid tax on booze -
that is why meths, which would otherwise be taxed at twice the rate of
vodka, is so cheap. The main additive is methanol, hence the name
"methylated" sprirt.

Hope this helps,

Peter

Thanks Peter and Anton.
I'm glad I checked with you folks before applying any methyl hydrate.
I will search more thoroughly now for meth spirits. The methyl hydrate
is pretty cheap, I hope the spirits are too (meth spirits that is).

Eric
Old 21-12-2004, 02:34 PM
David Hill

If I remember correctly, Meths with a good slug of black currant juice was
known as "Black Biddy".

--
David Hill

www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

Old 21-12-2004, 06:51 PM
nambucca

"Eric G" wrote in message
Several have advised that I use 'meths' to conquer my mealybug
problem.

My local hardware store had methyl hydrate rather than methylated
alcohol. What is the difference? Can methyl hydrate be used in this
case?

Thanks

Eric

You should be able to buy Methylated spirits in any DIY or hardware store
.........its used for all kinds of things from removing ballpoint pen stains
to rubbing down the surface of polished furniture

Old 21-12-2004, 07:30 PM
Rod

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 19:50:54 GMT, Pam Moore
wrote:

I found that the Ultimate Bug Killer spray was also a good way of
killing Streptocarpus. I asked at the Dibleys stand at the next show
when I bought a replacement plant, and the chap said they use the
Provado granules mix to treat their plants. Don't know if it works on
mealy bugs,

It should work on mealy bugs. The commercial preparation containing
Imidacloprid that we use certainly saw our mealy bugs off the
premises. That is applied as a drench to the compost (not to the
foliage, though you can't avoid wetting at least some leaves) I wonder
how and under what conditions you applied the spray? Streptocarpus
really don't like their leaves wet, especially in bright sunshine,
also I wonder about the carrier used in the spray on preparations.
Sometimes it's the carriers and solvents that damage the plants rather
than the active ingredient.
Incidentally it was at Rex Dibley's suggestion that we tried the
Imidacloprid drench.

Old 22-12-2004, 12:44 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article , wrote:

I'm still having a heck of a time trying to track down some meths
here in Guelph Canada. Maybe I should move to the UK?

Nah. I would give a lot to live that far south of here.

Most people/stores I've called have never heard of the stuff.
I've called paint stores, hardware stores, chemical stores,
pharmacies.
Hardware stores carry methyl hydrate but not methylated alcohol.

That is probably the same stuff. As names fly across the pond,
they often mutate.

Rubbing alcohol consists of isopropyl alcohol here, 70% isopropyl ISP.
Could isopropyl alcohol be used instead of methyl alcohol to kill
these mealybugs?

Yes. And so could medicinal ethanol. It is the dessicating effect
that kills them, not the particular chemical.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 22-12-2004, 10:23 AM
Martin Brown

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article , wrote:

Most people/stores I've called have never heard of the stuff.
I've called paint stores, hardware stores, chemical stores,
pharmacies.
Hardware stores carry methyl hydrate but not methylated alcohol.

That is probably the same stuff. As names fly across the pond,
they often mutate.

Unlikely in this case more like they stayed the same and ours evolved.
The problem is that to communicate chemicals by common names in the
colonies you need to know what Elizabethan alchemists called the stuff.
According to Henley's (ca 1921) even if he did find "methylated spirits"
in the USA/Canada it would be impure methanol or wood alcohol. Same for
methyl hydrate only more so. Pure methanol is too phyto-toxic to use. It
will certainly kill the mealy bug but probably the plant as well.

What we call meths they call something like denatured (pure) spirit or
grain alcohol. (NB *not* petroleum spirit). I'd expect any half decent
chemist to have impure alcohol spirit for use in spirit burners.

I expect it is residual fallout from the days of prohibition that
ethanol is so hard to find on sale over there.

Rubbing alcohol consists of isopropyl alcohol here, 70% isopropyl ISP.
Could isopropyl alcohol be used instead of methyl alcohol to kill
these mealybugs?

Yes. And so could medicinal ethanol. It is the dessicating effect
that kills them, not the particular chemical.

Just be careful handling isopropanol that you don't get it in your eyes.
It is a severe eye irritant.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 22-12-2004, 11:20 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article , wrote:

Well I have since learned that methyl hydrate is methanol whereas
methylated alcohol is 95% ethanol and 5% or less of methanol.
So they aren't really the same.

Well, if you were buying from a chemical warehouse, that might be
true. But I doubt very much that what is called methyl hydrate really
is pure methanol. You could test its density and check.

Part of the reason is the toxicity (to humans) of pure methanol. It
really is very dangerous indeed.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.