Old 15-11-2005, 11:47 PM
Vincent

Default General landscape questions

Hi,

My wife and I purchased our first home, so neither of us have a great deal of
landscaping experience.

The builder cleared and removed most everything in the backyard, so we're not
sure what to do with the large/square patch of dirt that they left behind.

We wanted to something economical with the space, that looked nice but didn't
require a ton of daily maintenance.

Should we try to pickup a few how-to landscaping books and make an attempt
ourselves, or would it be wise to consult with a landscaping professional first?

If we opt for the second option, would someone be able to recommend a decent
landscaper (Round Rock area), and what do they typically charge for consultation
and design services?

Thanks in advance for any information related to these items.

Best regards,
Vincent

Old 16-11-2005, 02:42 PM
Jim

You'll probably find alot of building material in that pile of dirt. Lot of
sifting through to do.

I like low maintenance fauna, and local naturally growing fauna where
feasible. Hate the desert/rock/cactus landscaping. Dislike lot of
watering/fertilization. Along those lines, find your likes and dislikes,
along with your partner"s. Then you have the fauna you want. Location of
walkways, trees, your intentions for yard use, size of the yard, varmints
that may eat your choice of fauna, domestic animals in the yard, fenced or
open, etc. all play into the picture. Most of all, if you do it yourself,
adhere to the KISS method throughout.

Try to keep trees away from the house. Wind driven fire, wind pushing trees
into or atop the house, tree roots working into your various piping are some
of the reasons.
--
Lil' Dave
Beware the rule quoters, the corp mindset, the Borg

Old 17-11-2005, 11:16 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

On 15 Nov 2005 15:47:23 -0800, Vincent
wrote:

Should we try to pickup a few how-to landscaping books and make an attempt
ourselves, or would it be wise to consult with a landscaping professional first?

Yes, there are a lot of book out there, but the best ones I find are
streamlined for Central Texas. Landscape Revolution is an excellent
book to start with. It is always best to be an informed consumer and
know what you want before you have someone in. Do not leave it up to
a designer and their contractor to do your yard. Really look in the
landscape section at the library, I believe the 712.0 section is where
you'll find those books as well as many gardening books in 635.0.

Decide if you want to attract birds or wildlife, or have a small pond,
or want a deck or patio or turf, etc. Really take your time with it
because it's a huge job to change it once you install it.