Old 24-03-2003, 08:08 PM
CP

Default Vine to cover foundation

Thanks to all for your wonderful suggestions. I will probably go with your
advice. No vines but instead stain the foundation with patterns.

Thanks once again

-Aler

"Brian Martin" wrote in message
If it was me...I would put a thin layer of concrete over it {a resurfacing
product} then us a vine roller {find in the wallpaper section/paint...for
stamping wet plaster} then roll my pattern...and stain. You can get away
with using on color if you don't feel creative. Most of the stain will go
into the cracks of the veins and background and become dark leaving the

high
points highlighted. This way you have your vines...but you don't have your
problem. You can use any thing to stamp with...so you are far from

limited.
You could even do a reverse affect by using a stenciled and putting the
resurfacing material over the top of you stenciled with a putty knife the
remove the stenciled to show a two dimensional vine, leaf or what ever you
have chosen. The possibilities are endless...
http://www.acid-stain.com/photogalle...togallery.html
Lorraine

"CP" wrote in message
. ..
We have about 14 ft of foundation in our house and would like to cover

it
with some type of an 'evergreen' Vine. Which one is best suited for

Austin?
I saw in the Native & Adapted plant list published by the city, Fig vine

is
a good one. But it also says it is susceptible for hard freeze. So what

is
the best alternative that will withstand the extreme Austin climatic
conditions? I am also looking for something that is relatively pest and
insect free. Is Boston ivy a good choice?

Thanks for any help provided...

-Aler

Old 27-03-2003, 10:32 PM
Robbin

How about doing something like a deck with storage underneath? Or perhaps
just a small storage room if it is not a place for a deck. It would really
help if you could take a couple of pics and link to them. Some of us could
probably give some creative ideas if we had more to work with.

It sounds to me like your builder got really cheap back there. They could
have built the foundation so that the brick came down close to the ground.
It wouldn't have been that much more expensive to drop that brick ledge and
then brick it. I've seen some really nice ways to deal with a problem like
this, but I have no idea the size of space you have to work with.

"CP" wrote in message
. ..
I appreciate your feedback. So, is there any other alternative? When we go
into our backyard, the 14 ft of solid foundation (it is huge) looks
unsightly. A couple of landscaping experts suggested covering it up with
vine/ivy to make it look natural. That is where we got the idea from. We
have the brick above the foundation (No wooden siding). Can you pass on

some
suggestions, as I am seriously re-thinking the idea of planting a vine...

Thanks once again.

-Aler

"starlia" wrote in message
I couldn't agree with you more as well. The damage the vines and shrubs
could do to your home is one thing, but it promotes and conceals pests.

work for a local government agency and I am in charge of pest control,

etc.
We have a huge problem with termites, rats, and mice getting access to
buildings with all types of ground cover including vines.

"bobwhite" wrote in message

I couldn't agree more, Karen!!!!!

Vines can really raise havoc with masonry, bricks, and siding of all
materials. I have replaced much siding because vines made holes in

it,
and
the siding began to rot. Of course, it was good for business, but an
unnecessary expense to a lot of people.

Also, please don't plant large hedges or shrubs close to a house.

They
seem small when you plant them, but they soon are huge. They can

grow
roof line height and more, and ruin shingles, and cause other damage.
Also, huge roots grow under the foundation and could eventually cause
breakage.

Bob

We have about 14 ft of foundation in our house and would like to
cover it with some type of an 'evergreen' Vine.

Why do you want to cover it with a vine?

I admit that I have some pretty strong feelings about vines. I just
helped a friend remove some Asian Jasmine from his house and garage
and saw firsthand how it ate holes in the wood and brick. Also, I
went to a college that had to constantly fight English Ivy while
still keeping enough around to still look Ivy League... There's no
way that I would put a vine next to my house. However, I think some
vines that can go on trellises look great, like potato vine.

Karen

Old 29-03-2003, 11:44 AM
N. Woolley

Nandina is a non-native invasive plant. How about an evergreen sumac
instead?

Old 05-04-2003, 12:11 PM
bobwhite

I couldn't agree more, Karen!!!!!

Vines can really raise havoc with masonry, bricks, and siding of all
materials. I have replaced much siding because vines made holes in it, and
the siding began to rot. Of course, it was good for business, but an
unnecessary expense to a lot of people.

Also, please don't plant large hedges or shrubs close to a house. They
seem small when you plant them, but they soon are huge. They can grow to

Old 05-04-2003, 12:11 PM
starlia

I couldn't agree with you more as well. The damage the vines and shrubs
could do to your home is one thing, but it promotes and conceals pests. I

Old 05-04-2003, 12:11 PM
Ethelred the Unready

Aler,

You can stain concrete with special stains. You might be able to match
your brick. Or you could do a very subtle pattern. One resturant in town
has a harliquine pattern (alternating diamonds) in stained and not stained
concrete.

You could also put stucco on the concrete. Or apply a layer of small
gravel and concrete and then sand blast it to expose the gravel.

If you want plants, is there room to set a row of nandina about 5 feet
away from the foundation? If you put weed blocking fabric with gravel over
it between the nandina and the foundation, then you can create a low
maintenance zone hostile to other plants and small creatures.

Good luck!