Old 05-04-2003, 11:08 AM
animaux

Default RFI: Collecting wildflower seeds and planting them in your yard?

I have two different senna's which I think have born seed pods. I will gladly
send what I have to you.

On Fri, 27 Sep 2002 18:04:50 GMT, wrote:

I have seen several wildflowers (native flowering shrubs is probably a
better term) around that are very pretty, and the deer don't seem to
eat (key where I am located). Two that leap to mind immediately are
the yellow Senna that is just finishing blooming right now, and the
Goldeneye Sunflower that will be blooming in a few weeks. I would
like to grow these in my yard.

Last year I got some dead heads off of a Goldeneye Sunflower near my
house, let it dry out, and then spun out the seeds. In
October-November of last year I set out planting them around my yard,
basically scratching the soil and dropping several seeds in, and then
stomping them in and making sure they had soil contact. This was, by
the way, after that huge rainstorm we had, so they didn't get washed
away by that, in case you wondered.

Well, I haven't seen any of these plants coming up this year. None.
I didn't spend a lot of time at this last year, so I am not bummed
about the wasted effort. I just wondered if anyone had some
suggestions on how best to seed native plants that I see around. I
collected some brown seed pods off of a Senna yesterday, and I will
probably try the Goldeneye again. Should I start these off in little
pots or those peat capsules you can get at nurseries? Or just plant
them again and hope? Or is this too much of a pain and should I try
and get these at a plant sale (unfortunately I will be out of town for
next weekend's Wildflower Center Plant Sale)?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

andyd

Old 05-04-2003, 11:08 AM
Terry Horton

On Fri, 27 Sep 2002 18:04:50 GMT, wrote:

I have seen several wildflowers (native flowering shrubs is probably a
better term) around that are very pretty, and the deer don't seem to
eat (key where I am located). Two that leap to mind immediately are
the yellow Senna that is just finishing blooming right now, and the
Goldeneye Sunflower that will be blooming in a few weeks. I would
like to grow these in my yard.

Don't give up hope! Sounds like maximilian sunflower, in a good
year as spectacular a massed wildflower display as we have imho.
These seeds need an extended cold spell to trigger germination the
following spring (an adaptation that times germination with suppressed
herbivore populations). You can easily simulate a long, cold winter
in your fridge... plant in early winter into six-pack flats or
similar, moisten lightly, place in a plastic bag in the back of the
fridge for a couple of months. Once cold "stratified" in this way
they should germinate readily in the spring.

Lindheimer's senna. Senna's seed coat can nicked with the edge of a
knife before planting to allow water to penetrate. Plant in the
spring. Barton Springs Nursery had 4" Lindheimer sennas for $2 last
week.

Old 05-04-2003, 11:08 AM
Charles Dunn

Goldeneyed sunflower, aka Maxmilian sunflower (Helianthus maxmiliani )
does not, in my experience, form very much viable seed. They transplant
readily however.

Chuck