Old 05-04-2003, 11:08 AM
Lucy

Default I have iris bulbs... now what?!?

Hi!
For my birthday I got a whole bunch of iris bulbs as a gift. THey are
the big bearded kind. Can someone point me to a webpage or book that
talks about planting and care for iris in this part of Texas? Or
maybe someone here can help!!

I have all ranges of sunlight available to plant in - full shade to
full sun. Will the deer eat them (not that fences will keep the deer
out if they really want something!)?

And when do I plant them? Is it just me or did it go from hot summer
to chilly fall?

Thanks so much,
Lucy
Old 05-04-2003, 11:08 AM
animaux

On 15 Oct 2002 20:53:41 -0700, (Lucy) wrote:

Hi!
For my birthday I got a whole bunch of iris bulbs as a gift. THey are
the big bearded kind. Can someone point me to a webpage or book that
talks about planting and care for iris in this part of Texas? Or
maybe someone here can help!!

I have all ranges of sunlight available to plant in - full shade to
full sun. Will the deer eat them (not that fences will keep the deer
out if they really want something!)?

And when do I plant them? Is it just me or did it go from hot summer
to chilly fall?

Thanks so much,
Lucy

IRIS

Iris are among the earliest blooming and easiest perennials to grow. Probably
the most popular and widely grown iris is the tall bearded
type. "Bearded" refers to the presence of a furry strip on each of three
dropping, petal-like sepals, called falls. The true petals are
standards and are upright. Flowers appear in spring to early summer on stalks
above the foliage. There are many color varieties, two
color combinations, but there are no true red colors. The leaves are stiff and
strap-like and grow in fan-shaped clumps.

The best time to plant iris is June through September. Early planting
establishes the new iris before winter. This is the time to reset
clumps of iris that are crowded, generally clumps three or four years old.

The ideal location for iris is a sunny, well-drained location, but iris are
generally tolerant of most garden soils. At least six hours of sun
is needed for vigorous growth and flowering. Iris do not do well in deep shade.
Standing water should not be present in the iris bed.
Plant iris in raised beds if necessary.

When planting iris, place the rhizome (underground stem) just below the surface
of the ground with the roots well spread out
underneath so that the rhizome is within reach of the warmth of the sun’s rays,
while the roots beneath are in moist (not soggy) soil.
Be sure to firm the soil lightly around each rhizome when planting.

The planting distance will depend upon your particular plants. Generally iris
are planted from14 inches to 2 feet apart. If you desire
immediate clump effect, plant eight inches apart in groups of three of more of
one variety. You may have to divide and separate your
plantings more often, but you will have a wonderful splash of color sooner than
if you planted only one rhizome of one variety.

Iris will thrive without feeding but will respond to its application. In the
preparation of a new iris bed, spade in a good application of
compost below the roots. Apply an application of a well balanced fertilizer as a
top dressing dusted around and in between the plants in
early spring or very late fall is also helpful.

Since the iris feeding roots are very near the surface, cultivate shallowly.
Keep your iris free of weeds and do not allow neighboring
plants to encroach upon them. They need to have sunlight right down to the
rhizome. Remove the outer leaves as they begin to brown.
Keep litter, old leaves, grasses, etc., away from the rhizomes.

There are eight basic steps in dividing and planting iris:

1.Select the clump you wish to divide and replant and cut the foliage down to
6-8 inches. This is done for easier handling when
separating the rhizomes.
2.Dig the clump and label properly. Lift it carefully taking care not the
break rhizomes and too many roots. Wash all soil from the
roots and rhizomes with a hose, but do not let the roots dry out while
separating.
3.The first separation is into clumps of three or four fans, discarding the
original rhizome in the center. This type of division will
give an immediate show of color but redivision will be necessary within two
years.
4.Separation of single and double fans will not have to be divided again for
three to four years. These are made by cutting with a
sharp knife, making sure that a portion of the rhizome and roots is left
with each fan.
5.One overcrowded clump will provide several. Each one will flower the
following year. At this stage be sure that each individual
fan is properly labeled and then plant the fans.
6.Prepare the soil to a depth of 10-12 inches, incorporating compost and
complete plant food. Prepare the hole so that the roots
are well spread out, a little deeper at the ends. Do not overcrowd roots in
the hole.
7.Cover the rhizome with soil to complete the planting. Iris rhizomes should
be planted just below the surface of the soil. The
ground should be moist but not soggy. Firm the soil lightly around each
rhizome.
8.A large portion of clumps in a border should be planted with the fans
facing to the front. Leave room for the clump to increase
in size. Place fans from eight inches to two feet apart; closer planting
gives a quicker garden effect.

The source of information for this article was the Empire State Iris Society,
Inc. For assistance with your gardening questions and
concerns, contact the Master Gardeners at Cornell Cooperative Extension of
Genesee County on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays
from 10 a.m. until noon at 343-3040, ext. 127, or stop in at our office at 420
East Main Street, Batavia.