Old 05-04-2003, 12:09 PM
CP

Default Trench/channel drain

Our house sits on the slope of a hill and when it rains, the water from the
neighborhood enters our back yard and causes soil erosion. We were told by
the city that we need to install a trench/channel drain in the yard to
divert the water out of the property. Where do we get Trench drains in
Austin? I tried Ferguson and they said they do not carrry them. Can someone
let us know where we could buy them? How much do these normally cost? We
need a 7ft X 2 ft drain. Is there any other economical option other than
using a trench drain??

Thanks a lot in advance for any pointers that you may provide...

-CP

Old 05-04-2003, 12:09 PM
Elliot Richmond

On Wed, 13 Nov 2002 13:38:09 GMT, "CP" wrote:

the city that we need to install a trench/channel drain in the yard to
divert the water out of the property. Where do we get Trench drains in
Austin?

Are you sure they said trench drain and not french drain? If you
think they might have said french drain (which is the standard
solution to your problem) see:

http://www.repair-home.com/how_to/cr...ench_drain.htm

or maybe:

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/frenchdrains.htm

Elliot Richmond
Freelance Science Writer and Editor
Old 05-04-2003, 12:09 PM
CP

No it is trench drain. It is not standing water that we are trying to divert
here. When it rains, the water flows from the street into our back yard
'literally' like a river - really forceful. We need to catch the flowing
water and make them flow into the adjacent easement area that the city
owns...

Thanks

Old 05-04-2003, 12:09 PM
Leona Henderson

CP wrote:

[...]

You probably will need a trench drain rather than a French drain. here is a web site ypu might check
out
http://www.infinitytrench.com/
http://www.zurn.com/operations/flothru/pages/home.asp
http://www.mcnichols.com/ecommerce/e...drain_main.htm

If you think the trench drain is over-kill, then a French drain may be helpful. I have no idea what
the trench drains will cost.

I had the same ...i think... or similar problem. My house/lot is under the brow of a long hill and
during a heavy rain water would run down from the long hill of my neighbor's and their neighbor's
and come pouring down my lawn and threaten to get into my patio and possibly into my house.
Naturally there was some erosion there was a good downpour, I contracted to have a French Drain put
in. They dug a 2 ft deep trench along the perimeter of that side of the house, placed construction
cloth in it wide enough to cover the sides of the trench and placed 4 inch sewer PVC in it, put rock
in it so that there was rock under and around the pipe then folded the construction cloth over it
and covered with soil. Before covering up they had connected the down spouts to the PVC and also put
clean-out thingies and also in front of the patio put in two grills so that top water could go into
the pipe instead of into my patio.
We had 5 inches of rain a couple of weeks ago and it did take care of the water so that it didn't
get in the patio. (Patio has brick wall around it with two openings.) The pipe outletted at the
street curbing near my driveway in front of the house. The cost was $1700. It was worth it to feel
that my carpeting and other household things were somewhat protected from water damage.
Hope this will give you some idea.

Since the water is coming off the city property, the street behind you, looks like the city might
have some responsibility ?????????????????????
--
nTX USDA Z 7B
Leona
Old 05-04-2003, 12:09 PM
BillS

If you are talking about culvert tubing, you can get it from McCoy's or most
ranch supply places. They come in either corrugated metal or plastic in
varying diameters.
BillS