Old 05-04-2003, 11:10 AM
B.Server

Default Synthetic Lumber. Raised beds.

I have been giving some thought to installing a series of raised beds
in a garden. They will replace most of the area currently used for
vegetable gardening. I want to have closer spacing, more level and
deeper beds than are convenient by simply mounding the soil. (each
bed may have different soil amendments) This means that the beds need
to be defined by some enclosure. I have chosen to exlude the use of
treated wood products such as landscape timbers or used railroad ties.
That leaves brick, stone/mortar, cement block/mortar, untreated wood,
and "synthetic wood". Our climate is not kind to untreated wood in
contact with the ground, not to mention the carpenter ants and
termites.

Can anyone share direct experience with using any of the synthetic
wood products made of recycled plastics and (sometimes) wood fiber for
soil contact building? My beds would be around 4W'x24L'x12-18"H
(there is a slope). My concerns include how to brace, the synthetic
products are said to be much more flexible than wood of a similar
dimension; how to fasten (stainless steel screws?) and cost. Any
light you can shed would be much appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-04-2003, 11:10 AM
J Kolenovsky

Your post has sat here here for a week. Guess no one has used the stuff.
Brick - I've used the brick at home depot that are 13"X4"X4" and
interlock into each other.

http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/eastgarden2.jpg

J. Kolenovsky
http://www.celestialhabitats.com =

http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden

"B.Server" wrote:
=

[...]

-- =

J Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/reference.html
Old 05-04-2003, 11:10 AM
B.Server

On Sat, 11 Jan 2003 07:47:22 -0600, J Kolenovsky
wrote:

Your post has sat here here for a week. Guess no one has used the stuff.
Brick - I've used the brick at home depot that are 13"X4"X4" and
interlock into each other.

http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/eastgarden2.jpg

J. Kolenovsky
http://www.celestialhabitats.com
http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden

It has indeed. Thanks for the pointer. I will look into them. From
what I have been able to find about synthetic lumber, it is expensive
and fairly difficult to find in sizes suitable for raised beds. (on
the order of 2x12s) It seems like the only sources in Austin are some
of the customer deck builders who use it in x6 sizes for decking but
not structural applications.

The problem that I have with brick is the need for a sound footing
which usually means more work to pour a concrete one, at least in deep
clay soils and sides 12" in height or more. It may come to that.

I noticed some brick out by Marbridge Farm that reminded me of adobe,
around 4x8x14 inches. It might be a little more resistant to outward
soil pressure.

Thanks again for the pointer.