Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Gene S

Default WTB: Greenhouse clear plastic panels

Want to buy enough clear plastic panels to build
a 36x24' greenhouse. I only want the rigid 2' or
so wide type - not the plastic sheeting. I have looked
at the new stuff at Lowe's & Home Depot, etc. - just do
not want to spend that much :-)

Thanks,
Gene
Briggs, TX

--
E-mail:

Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
animaux

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 08:41:31 -0600, "Gene S" wrote:

Want to buy enough clear plastic panels to build
a 36x24' greenhouse. I only want the rigid 2' or
so wide type - not the plastic sheeting. I have looked
at the new stuff at Lowe's & Home Depot, etc. - just do
not want to spend that much :-)

Thanks,
Gene
Briggs, TX

Home Depot and Lowes have the best prices on the corrugated fiberglass. I don't
think you'll find the panels any cheaper.

Victoria
Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Gene S

THANKS.
Yeah, that's what I have found so far.
Just hoping someone has extra inventory
at a discount:-) My only concern about the
Lowe's & HD stuff is how long it will really
last? I have a supply of greenhouse 6mil
poly, but wanted to do this one with a more
permanent cover...

Thanks,
Gene in the metropolis of
Briggs, TX

--
E-mail:

Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Gene S

I went by Lowe's & the translucent 5oz fiberglass was
$14.19 per 12' x 26" piece. The clear poly carb panel
was $24.68 per the same size.

Question: Will the cheaper fiberglass panels work for a
greenhouse, or MUST I use the more expensive
clear poly carb ones? It's quiet a savings initially, but
not sure what the trade-offs are?

THANKS,
Gene

--
E-mail:

Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Thomas

well, I live in Dallas, and have a 8'x16' greenhouse and have never needed
the greenhouse for more than 90 days max...way longer than the 6 mil will
last..you will incinerate anything else in the greenhouse in Texas.. you
can buy a butt load of 6 mil for the price of that fiberglass.

Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Thomas

well, that didn't come out right...lol.I meant that the 6 mil will way
outlast the cold. It's just a minor "p-i-t-a" to replace every year.
gy.com...

Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
crosem

maybe you are giving up too quickly...have you called some nurseries to get
their ideas on who might sell these...or done a google.com search to try to
find other suppliers?

Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
cat daddy

I used Palruf corrugated clear PVC from Home Depot to cover my greenhouse
last year and am happy so far. It was also the cheapest and has a 5 year
warranty. Just be sure to pre-drill and use roofing screws.

"Gene S" wrote in message
LOL - thanks.

I have a 50x100 roll of 6mil greenhouse poly, but
after thinking about it, I decided that panels would
be a lot less hassle over the long run. The problem
that I have is that Lowe's seems to be the only game
in town - so I must buy the fiberglass (FRP) or the poly carb.
Just not sure which one to go with. Wish I had more
choices, but not a lot of options here near Austin :-(

Gene

--
E-mail:

"Thomas" wrote in message
gy.com...
well, that didn't come out right...lol.I meant that the 6 mil will way
outlast the cold. It's just a minor "p-i-t-a" to replace every year.
gy.com...

Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
noneufyerbizness

Built my own greenhouse with the polycarb, while building (I live on
top of a hill, had a lot of wind, have had a LOT of wind since then,
not a single crack, no clouding,, etc. Nice and easy to work the
polycarb too. If you're planning on something that will last on more
than 10 years, would absolutely say bite the bullet, and go polycarb.

All in my humble opion

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 18:35:18 -0600, "Gene S"
wrote:

LOL - thanks.

I have a 50x100 roll of 6mil greenhouse poly, but
after thinking about it, I decided that panels would
be a lot less hassle over the long run. The problem
that I have is that Lowe's seems to be the only game
in town - so I must buy the fiberglass (FRP) or the poly carb.
Just not sure which one to go with. Wish I had more
choices, but not a lot of options here near Austin :-(

Gene

--
E-mail:

"Thomas" wrote in message
igy.com...
well, that didn't come out right...lol.I meant that the 6 mil will way
outlast the cold. It's just a minor "p-i-t-a" to replace every year.
gy.com...

Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
animaux

The poly carbonate will maintain it's clarity and light transmission as it was
designed to do. The less expensive fiberglass will certainly yellow, lowering
light transmission and you will have to replace it. I think the poly carbonate
is a much better value over the long run.

Victoria

Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
animaux

Did you try calling the Habitat Resale Store? I don't know the number, but ya
never know what they may have. I have a 10x20 foot greenhouse which I bought
from this place:

http://www.greenhousekit.com/homegreenhouses2.htm

It has a 7 year life if I left it up all the time. I only use it from late
November till end of March to house my collection of brugmansia and start seeds,
pot divisions of perennials, etc.

We take it down and put it up every year. It takes a total of about one hour
for two people to get it up and another hour taking it down. I have a small
electric heater in there, which has given me about a 12 degree protection. In
other words, it can go down to 20 and I would not have cellular damage in the
dead of winter on my plants.

Just a thought or option. I paid about 700 dollars, shipping was free. Don't
know what they charge now.

Victoria

Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Robbin

Default Greenhouse clear plastic panels

Stripling Blake used to sell a product called Filon. If, they still do, it
comes in both corrigated and 4 x 50 foot rolls. It is translucent instead of
clear, but are you really going to keep the greenhouse that clean? It is
definately not the cheapest stuff available, but I have had some installed
for over 15 years and it is still in good shape! It is greenhouse quality
fiberglass and has excellant light transmission qualities.

Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
B.Server

wrote:

LOL - thanks.

I have a 50x100 roll of 6mil greenhouse poly, but
after thinking about it, I decided that panels would
be a lot less hassle over the long run. The problem
that I have is that Lowe's seems to be the only game
in town - so I must buy the fiberglass (FRP) or the poly carb.
Just not sure which one to go with. Wish I had more
choices, but not a lot of options here near Austin :-(

Gene

www.sundancesupply.com

I recommend the polycarbonate.
Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Roughman

Call a local (or your nearest) metal building company. They can get you some
good panels. I would recommend a fiberglass R-panel. They come 3' wide x
whatever length you need. They are much stronger than Loxes or Homedepots.
And cheaper. I would hate to see someone waste money on the crap that the
lumberyards supply. I build steelbuildings and work with these things all
the time. They have a 10 year warrenty and I have seen them last for 20
years or more. Our supplier is M.B.C.I..They may have a warehouse near your
town. Im in Houston. And I think they will deliver for a fee. If you can
locate one near you it will save you money. If not the metalbuilding company
might jack up the price.

Old 05-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Hombre

try:

http://www.gardeners.com

wide range of affordable greenhouses, pretty good catalog too.

hombre