Evergreen Climbing Vine

Old 09-04-2003, 03:09 AM
GATR

Default Evergreen Climbing Vine

I have a six-foot tall wooden privacy fence that is 28 feet long. I have
bought two 4x8 trellis' and want to run an evergreen vine up each one. This
area gets full afternoon sun.

My wife does not like Honeysuckle, so that's out. I'm thinking North
Carolina jasmine.

What do y'all think? I'd prefer something that is water tolerant.

Thanks.

Old 09-04-2003, 04:08 AM
J Kolenovsky

Crossvine - Bignonia capreolata

Full sun, part sun, shade, moist, wet, screen hedge, spring color,
evergreen cover,nectar/butterflies. nectar/hummingbirds, cuts back well
and is controllable

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/oak_prai...apes_plants.p=
df

GATR wrote:
=

I have a six-foot tall wooden privacy fence that is 28 feet long. I hav=

bought two 4x8 trellis' and want to run an evergreen vine up each one.=

This
area gets full afternoon sun.
=

My wife does not like Honeysuckle, so that's out. I'm thinking North
Carolina jasmine.
=

What do y'all think? I'd prefer something that is water tolerant.
=

Thanks.

-- =

J. Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.celestialhabitats.com - commercial
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html
Old 09-04-2003, 01:20 PM
Terry Horton

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003 21:01:30 -0500, "GATR"
wrote:

I have a six-foot tall wooden privacy fence that is 28 feet long. I have
bought two 4x8 trellis' and want to run an evergreen vine up each one. This
area gets full afternoon sun.

My wife does not like Honeysuckle, so that's out. I'm thinking North
Carolina jasmine.

What do y'all think? I'd prefer something that is water tolerant.

Has she seen coral honeysuckle (the red native, non-invasive species)?

I second J/'s recommendation of crossvine, either the yellow or
"Tangerine Beauty". Can't recall a vine putting on so many blooms as
Tangerine Beauty, some years so thick you barely can see any foliage.

Carolina Jessamine has performed well for me too, though I haven't
needed to cover a fence with it.

Lady Bird Center has both crossvine and jessamine in bloom right now.
The fence to the right of Barton Springs Nursery's main entrance is
covered in crossvine (they sell both as do many other places)..

You could always plant a mix.
Old 09-04-2003, 02:20 PM
Betsy

What about passionflower? There are different varieties, lovely lacy
foliage, vigorous, very drought tolerant, and some have a really nice scent.

Old 09-04-2003, 03:32 PM
animaux

Not evergreen, unfortunately. I've found Clematis terniflora (sweet autum
clematis) to be evergreen for me in north Round Rock. The cardinals are nesting
in them right now.

Victoria

On Wed, 9 Apr 2003 08:17:22 -0500, "Betsy" wrote:

What about passionflower? There are different varieties, lovely lacy
foliage, vigorous, very drought tolerant, and some have a really nice scent.

.. .

Old 09-04-2003, 07:08 PM
J Kolenovsky

Another Bignonia is:

http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plan...a_capensis.ht=
ml
http://www.museums.org.za/bio/plants...a_capensis.htm
http://www.floridata.com/ref/t/teco_cap.cfm

Check out the butterfly potential.

JK

J Kolenovsky wrote:
=

Crossvine - Bignonia capreolata
=

Full sun, part sun, shade, moist, wet, screen hedge, spring color,
evergreen cover,nectar/butterflies. nectar/hummingbirds, cuts back well=

and is controllable
=

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/oak_prai...scapes_plants=

=2Epdf
=

--
J. Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.celestialhabitats.com - commercial
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html

-- =

J. Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.celestialhabitats.com - commercial
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html

Evergreen Maxi Spreader and Evergreen weed and feed. Steve S United Kingdom 0 13-04-2003 08:32 PM
Vine to cover foundation CP Texas 9 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
identifying vine Sam Lawns 0 31-03-2003 08:32 PM
Best vine with maximum hieght for side of house. Jason Gardening 6 12-03-2003 02:08 AM
Combining Roses with climbing vines Huskies4all Roses 9 18-02-2003 07:15 PM