Old 14-06-2007, 03:29 AM posted to austin.gardening

Default Environment

jangchub wrote:
On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 10:22:42 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

Want some birdhouse gourd seeds?

I still have excess...

My husband wants to know what I plan on doing with the 30 gourds I
have been hauling for a few years now! All dried, waiting for holes
and paint. I mean, we have the Martins all over. To be honest, I
don't have ONE more spot anywhere on this half acre to put another
thing. I think I really have to take things out, divide, pot them up
and sell them back to the garden centers in spring.

I made 20 or so brugmansia's, all getting huge, in addition to the
ones I have. Then there are the vitex I potted up as seedlings with
nowhere to plant them. I made the huge, enormous, gigantic mistake of
planting a sumac. That thing would hold California together in the
big one!

So, you are sweet to offer, but I haven't a place to plant them.

Speaking of vitex - I have a big one right behind a medium large mimosa
that catch the sun at the end of the day. When flowering, like now, the
colors glow brilliantly and compliment each other quite well. It was
dumb luck on my part planting them in that location but I was running
out of room elsewhere - a theme becoming more common on this group :-(
Old 14-06-2007, 04:03 AM posted to austin.gardening

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 02:29:39 GMT, jOhN
wrote:

Speaking of vitex - I have a big one right behind a medium large mimosa
that catch the sun at the end of the day. When flowering, like now, the
colors glow brilliantly and compliment each other quite well. It was
dumb luck on my part planting them in that location but I was running
out of room elsewhere - a theme becoming more common on this group :-(

I have a mimosa in a pot for two years now with nowhere to plant it. I
think I've come up with an answer. When I first moved to Texas I
thought those purple foliaged, non-fruiting plum trees would do well.
I miss my red maples, what can I say.

So, anyhoo, I happen to have that planted next to the vitex. My
husband asked if I'd want to cut that tree down since it is pretty
mangy by mid-summer. I think I'll do that. Cut it down and plant the
mimosa there. Thanks for the idea! One less pot to water, only 40 to
go!

On another note, we had to replace two lights in the pool and the guy
who came laughed because he too is a gardener. He said he felt like
he was in South America. He's pretty close, as most of what I grow is
marginally South American.

night to all,
Victoria
Old 14-06-2007, 02:38 PM posted to austin.gardening

wrote:

Want some birdhouse gourd seeds?

I still have excess...

My husband wants to know what I plan on doing with the 30 gourds I
have been hauling for a few years now! All dried, waiting for holes
and paint. I mean, we have the Martins all over. To be honest, I
don't have ONE more spot anywhere on this half acre to put another
thing. I think I really have to take things out, divide, pot them up
and sell them back to the garden centers in spring.

Once you cut the holes, you can harvest the seeds. Just shake them out.
:-) I cut the holes with a dremel tool. Paint is useless. The natural
coating on the gourd has caused mine to peel off in short order if I
tried it! I just clean the outside well and coated with a bit of flat
varnish. They seem to last for about 6 years.

Don't forget the drain holes in the bottom! I cut three 1/2" holes in
the bottom too. Otherwise in a rain, the nest will fill with water and
the babies will drown.

I get house wrens nesting in the few that I've actually made over the
past few years but it's about time to replace them. I should have
planted some sooner but with the long growing season, I should get a few
gourds.

I've only got about 6 houses up and 3 of them are usually used each year.

House wrens are death on garden bugs when they are feeding a brood.
Average number of kidlets is usually 5.

I made 20 or so brugmansia's, all getting huge,

Vines or bushes?

in addition to the
ones I have. Then there are the vitex I potted up as seedlings with
nowhere to plant them. I made the huge, enormous, gigantic mistake of
planting a sumac. That thing would hold California together in the
big one!

Try taking the Vitex to a nursery and do some horse trading?
I used to do that with Lemon Balm. I could probably do it with catnip,
but I end up using too much of it. We have several cats and I give a lot
away to other cat owners since mine is grown with no pesticides.

I've never had pests eat the catmint anyway...

I want to start a collection of Daturas. They are hardy and a low water
consumer and OH so pretty! Lowe's is getting a greater variety of
colors of Lantana. I just put 3 more in front last week. More saturated
colors than I've seen in the past.

Ever planted a Mexican Oregano? BEAUTIFUL perennial! blooms pale trumpet
shaped purple blossoms all summer long and the leaves are useful for
cooking and to me, taste similar to marjoram.

I started with a 4" plant about 6 or 7 years ago and it's now 3 ft. tall.
It is also a low water consumer along with Rosemary, creeping Thyme and
Dittany Of Crete.

So, you are sweet to offer, but I haven't a place to plant them.

Okay. :-) Its' often fun to do plant and seed trading.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 14-06-2007, 02:50 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
jOhN wrote:

Speaking of vitex - I have a big one right behind a medium large mimosa
that catch the sun at the end of the day. When flowering, like now, the
colors glow brilliantly and compliment each other quite well. It was
dumb luck on my part planting them in that location but I was running
out of room elsewhere - a theme becoming more common on this group :-(

I was not familiar with Vitex so just googled it. Hardy and a butterfly
attractor? :-) I've been planting Lantana next to Pentas and that combo
seems to attract more flying flowers, but the Pentas need more water
than Lantanas.

I may have to consider some Vitex out front. How big do they get?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 14-06-2007, 09:58 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 08:38:11 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

Vines or bushes?

Brugmansia is not a vine, it is a small tree. In the high mountains
of Peru they get 20 feet tall or more, loaded with tons of beautiful
trumpets facing downward.

What vine are you talking about?

Try taking the Vitex to a nursery and do some horse trading?
I used to do that with Lemon Balm. I could probably do it with catnip,
but I end up using too much of it. We have several cats and I give a lot
away to other cat owners since mine is grown with no pesticides.

Yes, I do sell to The Natural Gardener, The Great Outdoors, and Barton
Springs.

I want to start a collection of Daturas.

I used to collect them. I have D.metel, D.inoxia, D.wrightii out in
the garden now. They need a bit more water than I'd like them to
need, but will wilt during heat of the day and plump up at night. They
wilt on purpose. All nightshades have this ability. They also
re-seed readily.

I have planted Mexican oregano. I don't have enough sun any more.

Old 14-06-2007, 10:00 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 08:50:13 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

In article ,
jOhN wrote:

Speaking of vitex - I have a big one right behind a medium large mimosa
that catch the sun at the end of the day. When flowering, like now, the
colors glow brilliantly and compliment each other quite well. It was
dumb luck on my part planting them in that location but I was running
out of room elsewhere - a theme becoming more common on this group :-(

I was not familiar with Vitex so just googled it. Hardy and a butterfly
attractor? :-) I've been planting Lantana next to Pentas and that combo
seems to attract more flying flowers, but the Pentas need more water
than Lantanas.

I may have to consider some Vitex out front. How big do they get?

I have two, white and 'Carolina Blue' and they are both upwards of
fifteen feet. They can get twenty five feet, easily, in ten years.
They are very large shrubs. Hummingbirds also love them.
Old 15-06-2007, 03:10 PM posted to austin.gardening

wrote:

Vines or bushes?

Brugmansia is not a vine, it is a small tree. In the high mountains
of Peru they get 20 feet tall or more, loaded with tons of beautiful
trumpets facing downward.

What vine are you talking about?

I may simply be mistaken.
I saw a picture once (I think Nick posted it) of a lovely vine on a
trellis that looked a lot like Datura. At that time, I'd never heard of
Brugmansias.

That was what he told me it was! :-)

I've grown Moon Vines, but those are related to (and look like) morning
glories except a lot bigger! Those attracted a lot of hummingbird moths
at night.

Big white nocturnal flowers.

Try taking the Vitex to a nursery and do some horse trading?
I used to do that with Lemon Balm. I could probably do it with catnip,
but I end up using too much of it. We have several cats and I give a lot
away to other cat owners since mine is grown with no pesticides.

Yes, I do sell to The Natural Gardener, The Great Outdoors, and Barton
Springs.

Cool.

As easy as plant propagation is, I'm surprised that more of us don't try
to make money off of it.

I need to make a better effort at Air Layering some of my perennial
herbs.

My succulents have been my biggest success. I need to cut buds and pot a
bunch of San Pedro one of these days.

I want to start a collection of Daturas.

I used to collect them. I have D.metel, D.inoxia, D.wrightii out in
the garden now. They need a bit more water than I'd like them to
need, but will wilt during heat of the day and plump up at night. They
wilt on purpose. All nightshades have this ability. They also
re-seed readily.

The white wild ones (aka Jimson weed) used to grow wild in the Mojave
foothills in California where we lived when I was growing up. We were
warned to never try to ingest them. G

It was pretty dry and they did fine. They are built for low water
conditions. It's one of the main reasons that I've considered them for
landscaping.

Those, Lantana and Wandering Jew.

I have planted Mexican oregano. I don't have enough sun any more.

Bummer. The West side of my house gets no shade. The herbs are along
side the driveway there and the bed is about 15 ft. long and maybe 1
inches wide. The Mexican Oregano (now a small bush) is right at the
corner of the house. I need to take current photos of it.

Prune the trees girl! ;-)

You could probably consult with a tree surgeon and see what they have to
say.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 15-06-2007, 03:12 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
jangchub wrote:

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 08:50:13 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

In article ,
jOhN wrote:

Speaking of vitex - I have a big one right behind a medium large mimosa
that catch the sun at the end of the day. When flowering, like now, the
colors glow brilliantly and compliment each other quite well. It was
dumb luck on my part planting them in that location but I was running
out of room elsewhere - a theme becoming more common on this group :-(

I was not familiar with Vitex so just googled it. Hardy and a butterfly
attractor? :-) I've been planting Lantana next to Pentas and that combo
seems to attract more flying flowers, but the Pentas need more water
than Lantanas.

I may have to consider some Vitex out front. How big do they get?

I have two, white and 'Carolina Blue' and they are both upwards of
fifteen feet. They can get twenty five feet, easily, in ten years.
They are very large shrubs. Hummingbirds also love them.

Hm.
I have little enough open sun as it is.
Those would have to be relegated to the front of the driveway, or maybe
the southeast corner of the house.

Will they do well in partial sun?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 15-06-2007, 03:34 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Sorry to answer my own post...
That should have read "18 inches wide"!

Old 15-06-2007, 10:25 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 09:10:33 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

I may simply be mistaken.
I saw a picture once (I think Nick posted it) of a lovely vine on a
trellis that looked a lot like Datura. At that time, I'd never heard of
Brugmansias.

Datura and Brugmansia are not the same thing. They changed the
taxonomy about ten years or more ago. Based on flower parts and that
they are both in the solanace family, they are alike, but different
plants altogether.

That was what he told me it was! :-)

I've grown Moon Vines, but those are related to (and look like) morning
glories except a lot bigger! Those attracted a lot of hummingbird moths
at night.

These are nothing like Ipomoea alba aka moonflower.

As easy as plant propagation is, I'm surprised that more of us don't try
to make money off of it.

It's a lot easier with a greenhouse, which I have.

The white wild ones (aka Jimson weed) used to grow wild in the Mojave
foothills in California where we lived when I was growing up. We were
warned to never try to ingest them. G

If you are talking about Datura stramonium, you are right. They are
much more drought tolerant and don't wilt as much in heat. Of all the
Datura's, D.stramonium is my least favorite. The flowers are very
small. The ones I have, D. wrightii has flowers 8" across, I have
'Double White Purity' and 'Cornucopia' which are also doubles, but
purple. I can't get enough of them.

You could probably consult with a tree surgeon and see what they have to
say.

Eh, this isn't the last house we'll live in. When my mother moves
down from New York (she lives ON the water ON Long Island, so it's
going to take a crowbar to get her down here) she'll buy a house
outright cash, so we'll most likely take that house when she isn't
with us any more. Then again, we may sell it all and buy our RV
Motorcoach and travel full time. We'll see what my health has to say
when that time comes.

Old 15-06-2007, 10:28 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 09:12:10 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

Hm.
I have little enough open sun as it is.
Those would have to be relegated to the front of the driveway, or maybe
the southeast corner of the house.

Will they do well in partial sun?

They will be more sparse, but yes they do flower in some shade. One
which came up from seed is now 8 feet tall and it is flowering under
the Paulownia. It's in the ground, not a container. I've seen people
flank their driveway with these and they just keep them pruned neatly.
They do need shaping every year and tend to have a lot of waterspout
growth. You do know what that is, right? If not, I can explain it.
Old 16-06-2007, 04:02 PM posted to austin.gardening

wrote:

Hm.
I have little enough open sun as it is.
Those would have to be relegated to the front of the driveway, or maybe
the southeast corner of the house.

Will they do well in partial sun?

They will be more sparse, but yes they do flower in some shade. One
which came up from seed is now 8 feet tall and it is flowering under
the Paulownia. It's in the ground, not a container. I've seen people
flank their driveway with these and they just keep them pruned neatly.
They do need shaping every year and tend to have a lot of waterspout
growth. You do know what that is, right? If not, I can explain it.

Could not find a definition on google, but I presume that is excessive
top branching?

I'm always up for an education.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 16-06-2007, 10:07 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 10:02:25 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

wrote:

Hm.
I have little enough open sun as it is.
Those would have to be relegated to the front of the driveway, or maybe
the southeast corner of the house.

Will they do well in partial sun?

They will be more sparse, but yes they do flower in some shade. One
which came up from seed is now 8 feet tall and it is flowering under
the Paulownia. It's in the ground, not a container. I've seen people
flank their driveway with these and they just keep them pruned neatly.
They do need shaping every year and tend to have a lot of waterspout
growth. You do know what that is, right? If not, I can explain it.

Could not find a definition on google, but I presume that is excessive
top branching?

I'm always up for an education.

The term "waterspout" when used to describe a type of growth on a
plant, tree or shrub is describing a branch growing up in the center
of the branch and usually is found in the center of the plant. These
shoots which grow upward on branches need to be removed, usually. They
are mostly never going to flower and it puts a strain on the plant
with added weight. Was that a good description?
Old 18-06-2007, 02:23 PM posted to austin.gardening
dt dt is offline

jangchub wrote:
On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 10:02:25 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

If I may, I think the term is "watersprout".

DT
(At least it's googlable. ;-) )
Old 19-06-2007, 12:26 AM posted to austin.gardening

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 08:23:55 -0500, dt wrote:

If I may, I think the term is "watersprout".

DT
(At least it's googlable. ;-) )

Eh, I'm on brain drain! You're correct. Thanks for the notation.

Victoria