Old 10-06-2007, 07:32 PM posted to austin.gardening

Default Environment

Grow more plants and help clean up the air!
Another thing you could do is leave your car at home and take the bus.

A new Yahoo group has been formed for people who use Capital Metro busses in
Austin Texas called http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busridersaustin/

It is meant for discussion, meeting and advocacy of issues important to
Austinites who rely on public transit.

I did search around before I started it but didn't find anything like this
group.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:22 AM posted to austin.gardening

"Alan C Denman" wrote in message
Grow more plants and help clean up the air!

Plants normally grown in the garden don't clean up the air. They produce an
insignificant amount of oxygen. Would be interested in the effect of
substantial amount of carbon monoxide on such plants.

Another thing you could do is leave your car at home and take the bus.

No bus goes through west of Wimberley.

A new Yahoo group has been formed for people who use Capital Metro busses
in Austin Texas called http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busridersaustin/

It is meant for discussion, meeting and advocacy of issues important to
Austinites who rely on public transit.

I did search around before I started it but didn't find anything like this
group.

Okay, I'll use that as a platform. I have an older VW, runs great 33
average mpg. VW's high beam indicator in dash failed, not light bulb.
Found to be internal to the dash electronics. Failed state safety
inspection as a result. Took me a few months to find a replacement. In the
meantime, I had to drive a 2001 Dodge V6 truck that get about 1/2 the mpg as
result, worse in city driving. Did I say that 290 West between Loop 1 and
William Cannon is using half of the gasoline consumed by all the cars in
Austin? Don't believe, just go there at anytime during normal commuter
traffic times afternoon/evening. Last time I go to Austin for part of my
VW.

"Funny" thing about it is that I can obviously see the difference between my
normal headlights and high beams. Its very obvious. I don't use well lit
roads which aids to that observation. Oncoming traffic is quick to note my
high beams by using theirs as well.

At least I was "safe" not driving the VW, I guess... and making much more
CO/CO2 in the meantime driving the truck.

I wouldn't use and depend on a timely schedule a bus that's managed by any
governmental organization or a subcontractor to same. Timeliness of
personal transport don't rhyme with any governmental organization.
Privatized rail makes more sense, but that requires something like some
substantial walking if not driving at all and parking for all those CO
producers if driving to a parking area.

What does make a whole lotta sense is to be employed within some reasonable
distance from the home where a CO producing automobile or bus is not
required. Same for shopping. Naw, that makes too much sense. Let's keep
dribbling slow solutions at a big problem. Keep doing things the same old
way with slow, slow changes along the way.

Not ready for it. Your job, your home, your way of life would be
drastically changed? Guess what, the alternative later down the road will
do alot more to change that.

Yep, ride the bus... What a crock.
Dave

Old 11-06-2007, 11:34 AM posted to austin.gardening

"Dave" wrote in message
nk.net...
[...]

sorry Dave, not where I come from. Here in New Zealand privatisation of the
rail network & rail operations was a near disaster. A series of owners, both
rapacious merchant finance type asset strippers and US rail operators drove
down the condition of both our rail network and rolling stock. The govt
actually bought back the rail and has invested significant money in it and
will continue to do so through electrification and double tracking, $600
million NZ over the next few years. New rolling stock for city public
transport is also highly central govt/local govt funded. Rail as a feasible,
and successful, solution to road congestion and human enduced climactic
change is heavily dependent on government intervention.

rob

Old 11-06-2007, 02:45 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 12:32:27 -0500, "Alan C Denman"
wrote:

Grow more plants and help clean up the air!
Another thing you could do is leave your car at home and take the bus.

A new Yahoo group has been formed for people who use Capital Metro busses in
Austin Texas called http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busridersaustin/

It is meant for discussion, meeting and advocacy of issues important to
Austinites who rely on public transit.

I did search around before I started it but didn't find anything like this
group.

We don't have transportation up in Round Rock other than by car. Yes,
I have a huge Expedition. No, I wasn't thinking about the environment
when I bought it. If I sell it to buy a VW or Mini Cooper, someone
else will still be driving the Expedition. I'll drive it till it
drops then buy another one. My next, hopefully, will be more
advanced MPG Hybrid.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:03 AM posted to austin.gardening

"George.com" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message
nk.net...
[...]

Yup, you're right. Any organization or persons that own rail are bound to
abuse it. History of privately owned, and lately, share owned
(corporations) industries in the states has similar history. There's no
solution. Let's all die in desperation, destitution, and denial. Leave
that legacy to our children and grandchildren. What a crock.
Dave

Old 12-06-2007, 06:12 AM posted to austin.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Current VWs are not so good with mpg, and even worse with dependability.
Warranty has gone downhill as well. Females are (all) resource hogs by
nature. They can't help it. No apology expected for such behavior.
Dave

Old 12-06-2007, 12:01 PM posted to austin.gardening

"Dave" wrote in message
news
"George.com" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message
nk.net...
[...]

Not sure what you are on about Dave. Does the crock bit relate to what you
wrote first or third? Anyhow, not sure whether you are venting some
frustration over your rail network failure, the network failures we have
experienced or whether you are trying to win an argument somewhere. Can't
really say. All I can say is that rail is looking a lot healthier, whilst no
means rosy cheeked yet, than it was some years ago. A whole lot of govt
investment has doe it good.

rob

Old 12-06-2007, 02:34 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 04:12:52 GMT, "Dave"
wrote:

We don't have transportation up in Round Rock other than by car. Yes,
I have a huge Expedition. No, I wasn't thinking about the environment
when I bought it. If I sell it to buy a VW or Mini Cooper, someone
else will still be driving the Expedition. I'll drive it till it
drops then buy another one. My next, hopefully, will be more
advanced MPG Hybrid.

Current VWs are not so good with mpg, and even worse with dependability.
Warranty has gone downhill as well. Females are (all) resource hogs by
nature. They can't help it. No apology expected for such behavior.
Dave

Huh? I haven't a clue what you are talking about. Can you be a bit
less cryptic please? I give far more back to the land, air and people
then I've ever taken. Broad strokes, my friend, are ridiculous. I
have no apology, so no worries.
Old 13-06-2007, 02:59 AM posted to austin.gardening

wrote:

Current VWs are not so good with mpg, and even worse with dependability.
Warranty has gone downhill as well. Females are (all) resource hogs by
nature. They can't help it. No apology expected for such behavior.
Dave

Huh? I haven't a clue what you are talking about.

I gave up trying to understand him on the first post.

-sw

Ya never know who is on the other end of this monitor. Oh well. I
must be a resource hog!
Old 13-06-2007, 06:40 AM posted to austin.gardening

wrote:

Current VWs are not so good with mpg, and even worse with dependability.
Warranty has gone downhill as well. Females are (all) resource hogs by
nature. They can't help it. No apology expected for such behavior.
Dave

Huh? I haven't a clue what you are talking about.

I gave up trying to understand him on the first post.

-sw

Ya never know who is on the other end of this monitor. Oh well. I
must be a resource hog!

I'm not the one riding all over Travis and surrounding counties in a gas hog
to save a few dollars on some plant, or to maybe find one you think is cute.
Not spotlighting you in particular. Its just one symptom in many in the big
picture of resource management that's not managed.
Dave

Old 13-06-2007, 02:26 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 04:40:47 GMT, "Dave"
wrote:

I'm not the one riding all over Travis and surrounding counties in a gas hog
to save a few dollars on some plant, or to maybe find one you think is cute.
Not spotlighting you in particular. Its just one symptom in many in the big
picture of resource management that's not managed.
Dave

Driving all over town to find a cute plant? What arey you talking
about? I didn't buy any plants this year. I grow from divisions,
swaps, and seeds. I fill my truck up about one time a month, which is
far less gas many other people use. My truck is ten years old and
just turned 62.000 miles, most of which was long distance to New York,
Wisconsin and The Grand Canyon.

If you want to be managed, by all means move to Cuba. You will be
completely managed.
Old 13-06-2007, 03:01 PM posted to austin.gardening

jangchub wrote:
If you want to be managed, by all means move to Cuba. You will be
completely managed.

Please don't feed the trolls.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 13-06-2007, 05:22 PM posted to austin.gardening

wrote:

I'm not the one riding all over Travis and surrounding counties in a gas hog
to save a few dollars on some plant, or to maybe find one you think is cute.
Not spotlighting you in particular. Its just one symptom in many in the big
picture of resource management that's not managed.
Dave

Driving all over town to find a cute plant? What arey you talking
about? I didn't buy any plants this year. I grow from divisions,
swaps, and seeds. I fill my truck up about one time a month, which is
far less gas many other people use. My truck is ten years old and
just turned 62.000 miles, most of which was long distance to New York,
Wisconsin and The Grand Canyon.

If you want to be managed, by all means move to Cuba. You will be
completely managed.

Want some birdhouse gourd seeds?

I still have excess...
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 13-06-2007, 11:06 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 08:01:36 -0500, Victor Martinez
wrote:

jangchub wrote:
If you want to be managed, by all means move to Cuba. You will be
completely managed.

Please don't feed the trolls.

Sorry, momentary lapse into childhood!
Old 13-06-2007, 11:11 PM posted to austin.gardening

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 10:22:42 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

Want some birdhouse gourd seeds?

I still have excess...

My husband wants to know what I plan on doing with the 30 gourds I
have been hauling for a few years now! All dried, waiting for holes
and paint. I mean, we have the Martins all over. To be honest, I
don't have ONE more spot anywhere on this half acre to put another
thing. I think I really have to take things out, divide, pot them up
and sell them back to the garden centers in spring.

I made 20 or so brugmansia's, all getting huge, in addition to the
ones I have. Then there are the vitex I potted up as seedlings with
nowhere to plant them. I made the huge, enormous, gigantic mistake of
planting a sumac. That thing would hold California together in the
big one!

So, you are sweet to offer, but I haven't a place to plant them.